Page 92 of 150 FirstFirst ... 8788899091929394959697 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

I'm a woodworker/cabinetmaker, and have made a couple of different stands for myself. This one
    stand.jpg
    I made for another pair of speakers from leftover plywood from a project. It has a similar look as the bamboo used for the Sierra-1. I also made a pair specifically for my Sierras that are painted black, have a rectangular sand filled column, and a brass plate that allows me to bolt the speakers to the stands using the threaded insert in the back of the speakers. Both designs are easily adaptable to bamboo plywood.

Contact me directly if you have any interest.

Mike Teresko

Dave,

With USA built Sierra-2s can you get them without the holes for the grill ?

I plan on upgrading but am waiting to learn what is required to perform the upgrade. Any soldering, etc. I have a pair of the early Sierra 1's which required more work to upgrade to the Tweeter upgrade. So, when ever someone upgrades would love to hear how complicated/careful you have to be. I have vision issues which make it difficult to see close-up.

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Quote Originally Posted by saylor View Post
    I plan on upgrading but am waiting to learn what is required to perform the upgrade. Any soldering, etc. I have a pair of the early Sierra 1's which required more work to upgrade to the Tweeter upgrade. So, when ever someone upgrades would love to hear how complicated/careful you have to be. I have vision issues which make it difficult to see close-up.
    Just read over the NrT upgrade thread with videos. I did the NrT upgrade to my pair of 1st generation Sierra-1's and I detailed the process. It should be an identical process for the Sierra-2's only you will be installing a new woofer rather than putting the original one back in.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Only one woofer vendor I know of that uses cast magnesium basket frames.
    Vifa?

Anyone want to recap the Sierra 2? I came with the idea of moving from my original Sierra 1s to towers but am interested in more info on Sierra 2. I've skimmed about 25 pages and unless you've been following this thread it is hard to find the meat of the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Vifa?

Anyone want to recap the Sierra 2? I came with the idea of moving from my original Sierra 1s to towers but am interested in more info on Sierra 2. I've skimmed about 25 pages and unless you've been following this thread it is hard to find the meat of the news.
    Uses a custom 10mm raal tweeter, new woofer and will sound pretty awesome, less deep bass(not a issue with a sub) but better mids. I'm debating about the move up to towers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Vifa?

SEAS custom built the woofer.

The tweeter is a custom 10mm RAAL as mentioned, and is a direct drop-in for the original/NrT tweeters. Also, a new crossover is included. A pair of upgrade kits (2 RAAL tweeters + 2 Woofers + 2 Crossovers) will cost $776. There is a refund for returned original components(Tweeters/Woofers/Crossovers).
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 11-30-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    Uses a custom 10mm raal tweeter, new woofer and will sound pretty awesome, less deep bass(not a issue with a sub) but better mids. I'm debating about the move up to towers too.
    Before the forum reset, Dave made comment that the bass response of the new woofer was a bit different between the two drivers, but not necessarily one deeper than the other. I think he said one might be a bit higher in one region, and the other a bit higher in a different region, but it sounds like overall they are actually pretty much comparable in bass response.

Jay

Dave, when do you plan on posting the specs/data on the Sierra-2's? Many have pre-ordered based on faith in the final product (and rightly so), but I for one am anxious to have all the details to drool over!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I think it's pretty cool that some folks are willing to pre-order without having most of the details. We have that much confidence in Dave's designs based on many years of history. Hand on heart, I would have pre-ordered back when we kicked this thing off if that were possible.

With estimated production and shipping of kits next week, I'm gonna take a guess that we'll see some info this week. The full "unveiling" of this new product is imminent--I can almost taste it. Hmm, I wonder what a 10mm RAAL ribbon tastes like. And maybe the new cast magnesium basket is also tasty, scrumptious, and crunchable.
    -Jacob