Page 85 of 150 FirstFirst ... 8081828384858687888990 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Ok -- as promised

Please see the attached document.

Happy Monday!

Dave,

Thank you for posting this update and providing the detailed info. You made a lot of people very happy tonight.

I went for a 30-minute walk shortly after posting my recent comments. During my exercise, I thought about everything we've learned up until now, along with the new price information in the PDF document. I've made my decision on the complete loudspeaker vs upgrade kit: For several reasons, I will be pre-ordering the upgrade kit as soon as it's available.

I really love my Sierra-1 monitors (still rocking with the original tweeter) and I considered purchasing a complete pair of Sierra-2 so that I could reuse the Sierra-1 elsewhere. However, the Sierra-1 pair would replace my CBM-170 SE in the bedroom, and I don't have anywhere else to put the 170s right now. The 170s would be gathering dust for a while and I can't bear the thought of that. Plus I am trying to keep my stash of extra audio equipment to a minimum.

I also want to take advantage of all the time and effort Dave spent tooling the components for a perfect drop-in replacement. This "feature" has been a selling point for me since Day #1 and has held my interest in the Sierra-2 upgrade. So I'm going to stick with my original plan and order the upgrade kit.

Regarding the price, I'm honestly shocked that the upgrade kit doesn't cost more. I guessed $1,548 for a complete loudspeaker pair, which means I overshot by $100 (not too bad, although others guessed better). However, I overshot the upgrade kit price by $272! I really cannot believe that two custom woofer systems, two custom RAAL ribbons, and two advanced crossovers weigh in at well under $800. I just cannot believe it.

Anyway, I won't harp on about this. I'm done. Dave is selling these for what he feels is reasonable. The next phase of this journey is learning all about the new Sierra-2 reference monitor. That's gonna be the fun part.

So, I have armed myself with plenty of replacement socks, because I know the Sierra-2 is gonna blow my socks off!!
    -Jacob

Now when do we get pics and more info on this speaker? Really hoping I can get in on the 1st wave just dropped money on a new 60" TV and x mass shopping to do, hoping to have enough left over for the S2 upgrade kit love me some raal.

Wow. Can't wait for the multitude of measurements and draw dropping glamour shots!

In the meantime, will the upgrade kit parts carry a warranty?

Thanks Dave!

The price for a new pair is less than I expected, but I guessed over $100 less for the upgrade kit.

I really want to get the upgrade kit, but it will require some thinking(Scheming!). With Christmas and my Daughter's Birthday so close together it will take some financial miracle! But as the one who started this thread I feel it is my civic duty to the community to be one of the 1st to get this!! Hahaha!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I quoted $1449 only to avoid conflict with others and infact hoping Dave to come up with $1449 ( some thing like $9.99 as opposed to $10.00) but then I know Davd is not a good marketing guy

I too want the hat to be given to close runner ups.LOL

Whoa. I didn't expect to guess the price bang on! Too bad I wasn't quicker, but congrats to markie!

Folks, it's pretty clear with these prices that the only profit Ascend is making on the Sierra-2 is the same amount as on the Sierra-1. Not the same margin , but the same amount, meaning the margin is much smaller. Order a Sierra-2, and you're essentially getting all the upgraded drivers and crossover at cost. That's insane.

Frankly, that's exactly how I worked out the price that I guessed, but I still thought I was big time low-balling that figure. I DID expect that Dave would price the Sierra-2 below even the standard Sierra Tower (not to even mention the Sierra Tower RAAL). And I figured he'd be aiming for the $1500-ish per pair target. $1599 would have been the bargain of the century. These speakers ought to be priced at $2700/pair wholesale, and $5400 retail. Those prices would be more in line with standard pricing models in the speaker industry.

$1448/pair is ridiculous. But, as I mentioned in my guess, I threw that out there based on my knowledge of Dave's propensity for giving away all the upgrades at cost. That price doesn't even cover labour, you guys.

I'd like to help further clarify the prices and exactly what you're getting for everyone. Please double check what I write here (it's entirely possible I've made an error), but I believe this is correct:

1) All of the "Sierra-2 standard finishes" in the pdf are made overseas, and will use the exact same port on the back of the cabinet as the existing Sierra-1. In other words, if you order a "standard finish", the cabinet is identical to the Sierra-1 cabinet, and you will get the "smaller" port.

2) All of the "US built cabinets" will use the same port found in the Sierra Tower. This is a physically larger port that Dave has said will allow for a teeny-tiny bit more output, and a very slightly different response on the low end.

3) Black Matte and Black Bamboo are only available using the US built cabinets. So those will come with the "larger" port - the same port you'd find in a Sierra Tower.

4) If you want Satin Espresso or Satin Dark Cherry, you have a choice. The "standard finish" versions cost less, and use the "smaller" port. And I'm guessing that they might have a very subtle difference in appearance from the Satin Espresso or Satin Dark Cherry Sierra Towers or Sierra Horizon. Again, the "standard finishes" are being made overseas, so there's a chance that the Satin Espresso and Satin Dark Cherry "standard finishes" might be very slightly different from the Sierra Tower and Sierra Horizon finishes.

5) If you want a perfect Satin Espresso or Satin Dark Cherry finish match to your Satin Espresso or Satin Dark Cherry Sierra Towers or Sierra Horizon, then it's a very safe bet that the "US built cabinet" versions of the Sierra-2 will fit that bill. They cost more, and you will also be getting the "larger" port. But since they're all being made in the same US factory, the finishes should be a 100% perfect match.

6) Easiest way to understand the upgrade kit pricing is like this:

- Each individual Sierra-2 upgrade kit costs $388. One kit for one speaker. (So, if you are upgrading a pair of speakers, it will cost $776)

- If you return fully functional Sierra-1 parts (the standard Sierra-1 tweeter + the crossover + the woofer) to Ascend, then each individual upgrade kit costs $357 . Looks like you'll pay $388 up front, and then you'll get a $31 refund from Ascend once they receive your fully functional Sierra-1 parts.

- If you return fully functional Sierra-1 NrT parts (the NrT tweeter + the crossover + the woofer) to Ascend, then each individual upgrade kit costs $325 . Again, looks like you'll pay $388 up front, and then you'll get a $63 refund from Ascend once they receive your fully functional Sierra-1 NrT parts.

That looks good to me.....but what do I know!!

When I first looked at the price sheet, I thought the $63 refund for the NrT parts was for BOTH speakers. Now I see it is PER speaker. Sweet! That is a bit more doable. Dave did not mention if the prices include shipping, but I will assume they don't.

Hey.....with the NrT refund the kits are actually right at where I guessed them to be!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Oh...God....now the gears are spinning in my head. I wonder if we'd be allowed to return the Towers for the new Sierra 2's and more importanly how would the RAAL STC sound alongside Sierra 2 mains? I'd have to say prudy good...eh....
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Dave, im pretty sure alof of us want to a litle more info such woofer construction, measurements etc...