Page 80 of 150 FirstFirst ... 7576777879808182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    This has been something a bit different for us, we have basically shared the design process with everyone from nearly the very beginning. There is obviously a lot of hype for the "two's" and I have worked tirelessly to deliver the goods like never before and like no other loudspeaker project I have ever been a part of. At the final stages in this journey with all of you, all I really care about at this point is that you all thoroughly enjoy the two's, that they represent us well, and that you find the pricing honest and reasonable.

Thank you for sharing this journey!!!
    It's been a wonderful journey to see this "pet project" turn into something so revolutionary. I'm overjoyed that we'll all get to (finally) experience the fruits of your labor.

I'll never know all the difficulties involved with this project. I'll never get to meet the talented individuals who helped design and manufacture this product. And I may never get a chance to meet Dave in person. However, I can show my support by purchasing the Sierra-2 and finding new enjoyment when listening to music and movies. I truly believe the Sierra-2 is a revolutionary product. Ascend could not have pulled this off without their amazing vendor relationships. Few other loudspeaker companies could do what Ascend did here.

I really cannot believe that R&D or labor costs will not be included in the retail price. This is yet another Ascend difference. Dave has every right to want to recoup the investment costs associated with this project. With that said, I firmly believe that whatever the list price is for the Sierra-2, it will be a "bargain" compared to purchasing this elsewhere (if it were possible).

I simply cannot wait to own a pair. It's too bad I don't live local, else I'd pick up the components in person. Then again, I would have already spent so much time at Ascend HQ that Dave would have implemented a restraining order on me!!
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    ^ You really want that hat, don't ya?
    I wouldn't have a problem with it

I want to have all components in hand before we announce the pricing, just in case we need to make any last minute changes to the crossovers (which are already here)

The components in the Sierra-2 are expensive, a custom RAAL ribbon tweeter, custom SEAS woofer, bamboo cabinet, optimized crossover with air-core inductors, metalized polypropylene caps and non-inductive resistors...

Let's have some fun, anyone care to take some guesses at what the final pricing for a pair will be? We will send an Ascend baseball cap to the forum member who comes closest. This is for a pair in our standard natural finish.
    $1464 for a pair of Sierra-2's.

$924 for the upgrade.

As the product nears the finish line, the excitement grows! I'm eager to hear the definitive details on pricing etc but I'm also eager to hear before and after comparisons of Sierra-1 users upgrading.

I'm continuously upgrading some part of my car audio system, from dampening material to driver location to speaker selection. I can honestly say that after purchasing the Sierra-1 LCR about a year ago, I have had zero impulse to change up anything on the home front. I've been more than happy with my Sierra-1 setup and they continue to amaze me with each new song and movie. But, of course with the 2 coming out, I cant help but poke my head out and rationalize upgrading lol.

The thing is, the better the tune and speakers i get for my car, the worse some of my favorite songs start sounding. They were simply recorded with not-so-ideal production, or whatever the reason. My standard Sierra-1s sound absolutely perfect as they are, I'm only worried the improved 2 would reveal so many of the flaws in production that are the nature of some of my favorite songs. On the other hand, well recorded songs, like daft punk's ram album, would probably sound even more unimaginably better, not to mention blu-ray movies. Oh, what to do!
    Home - Sony 75" 900H, Denon X3500, Sierra-1 L/R, Emotiva C2+ Center
    Car - Arc Audio KS 300.2, 300.4, 2500.1; Arc Audio Black 6.2; (2) Arc Audio Black 12's; Audison BitOne

It is really interesting to me to see the spread in the estimated prices. I will say that pricing these speakers is complicated. If they are not priced high enough, many consumers might write them off simply due to other similar speakers being priced 2-3x higher -- with the wrong assumption that because they cost so much more, they must be better.

Be assured, we will stick to the same formula that we always have with regard to pricing -- it will simply be based on our actual component cost + a small margin. We will not factor in any development costs or even our labor costs in the pricing. This will probably exclude some consumers from considering these speakers (for some the price will, for sure, be too high -- for others it will be too low)

This has been something a bit different for us, we have basically shared the design process with everyone from nearly the very beginning. There is obviously a lot of hype for the "two's" and I have worked tirelessly to deliver the goods like never before and like no other loudspeaker project I have ever been a part of. At the final stages in this journey with all of you, all I really care about at this point is that you all thoroughly enjoy the two's, that they represent us well, and that you find the pricing honest and reasonable.

Thank you for sharing this journey!!!
    It must be complicated. Two weeks till the ship date and still no pricing.

$1498 Sierra 2
    $948 Upgrade

Edit to add... for least expensive finish option.
    Last edited by DevL; 11-15-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Bump

Hey Brandon, hope you don't end up with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from all the typing you did on that post .

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Hey Brandon, hope you don't end up with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from all the typing you did on that post .

Jay
    Hi Jay. Well you know with all the inactivity in this thread I figured I should bump it

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Hi Jay. Well you know with all the inactivity in this thread I figured I should bump it
    Good thinking, it has been pretty darn quiet around here LOL!

Jay