Page 70 of 150 FirstFirst ... 6566676869707172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Ed, I just logged in to ask the very same question, only to see you beat me to it!

I too was wondering what the pros/cons would be for magnesium vs aluminum baskets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Dave,
    Can you explain the advantages of Magnesium over Aluminum in case some of us were unclear?

I'm sure there are several. Thanks!
    I don't believe there is any outright performance advantage in the material itself compared to cast aluminum. However, the magnesium alloy that SEAS uses is stronger, lighter and more durable then cast aluminum. This allows for less material in the basket frame, especially the support mounts on the sides of the basket, which in turn reduce the back wave reflections (the rear wave bouncing off of the basket frame and coming back through the front of the woofer cone) In theory, this improves clarity and detail but I have never tried to measure this to confirm, as that would require the exact same woofer but in two different basket frames (an expensive proposition). SEAS engineers claim they have measured differences, and I do trust them implicitly.

In addition, the lighter basket frame means less stress on the cabinet walls and I have been told that the actual tooling lasts longer than one designed for cast aluminum. One million units compared to 250,000 or so, not that this is any concern of ours The sun would burn out before we sell 250,000 of these woofers....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the info, Dave!

I figured it had to do with the higher strength-to-weight ratio from looking at the picture you posted. I noticed the basket structure appeared more delicate than the standard Sierra-1 woofer basket.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

+1. Thanks Dave.

Ok Guys,

I have some very good news for those waiting on the Sierra-2. I received the custom tooled basket frame this afternoon and, thankfully, it is perfect. I have approved the tooling and the woofers are heading into production.

HUGE relief on my end

Here is a pic to see how it drops right into the existing Sierra-1 cabinets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yeah!!

Now we just need a pic of it with the new woofer on and the new tweeter in place!

Looking good Dave, can't wait to get all the info, price and final pics of the Sierra-2, hoping to nap the upgrade kit.

That is gorgeous! That basket really knows how to pose and pile on the charm. Bear with me, boys, I gotta stay seated for a few minutes!!!

This makes me super-psyched even more than I already am. Talk about a perfect fit. That's literally a drop-in replacement. Is the basket going to be painted black or left the natural alloy color? I think the natural alloy looks pretty darn cool, but would understand if it's going to be painted.

If I look really hard, I can almost see the woofer itself. I think I even see a phase plug! I guess my Jedi training is finally paying off. Or is that just the magic mushrooms I had for dinner?
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    That is gorgeous!.... going to be painted black or left the natural alloy color? I think the natural alloy looks pretty darn cool, but would understand if it's going to be painted.
    I like the alloy color as well - I wonder if it's a finish grade or paint grade.. If you like it you could always try to buff it out It's nice to come home at the end of the day to good news and nice photo of the developments. Looks great. Looking forward to finding out about pricing

I hope it comes painted black over the alloy colour... It'll stand out too much for my piano black Sierra-1s, not a big deal if its left alloy but hoping for it to be black like the others. I think the alloy look would be a cool option cause on the naturals I think it would really be a nice fit.
    Last edited by JustABrah; 11-07-2013 at 09:19 PM.