Page 68 of 150 FirstFirst ... 6364656667686970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    I must have missed where he confirmed there will be a new mid-woofer.
    Currently, there is no information regarding the mid/woofer driver, or the corresponding level of performance in those frequency ranges. I think with such a large piece of the puzzle missing, comparisons are currently a moot point until such time as details are released, and some of these Sierra-2s reach the hands of consumers.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Indeed, it is a custom built RAAL ribbon tweeter designed specifically for our requirements. It is 10mm in width (same width as the retail 70-10) and 1/2 the width of the OEM only 70-20 we use in our Towers. This tweeter marks the conclusion of an exhaustive project we started with Aleksandar (owner and chief designer at RAAL) nearly 2 years ago.

In this application, I must say I actually prefer this tweeter to the 70-10 as the response is more linear (with a low end roll off and frequency response shape specific to our needs) and it does not require any foam pads to tame the top end. It can not be crossed as low as the 70-10 (certainly not as low as the 70-20 our towers use) and it does not offer the same overall power handling, but -- in the way we are implementing it, we easily hit 108dB in our extremely well damped listening room measured at 12 feet back so power handling and dynamics are not an issue. This new tweeter has very broad horizontal dispersion but the polar response is not quite as good as the 70-20xr we use (I don't think ANY tweeter can match the remarkable polar response of the 70-20)

At some point there will be a retail version of this tweeter. This is something Aleks and I have discussed in detail as he needs to recoup his development costs, but while the retail version will look similar, it is not the same unit and the two have considerably different performance characteristics.

There is more to the Sierra-2 than just the custom RAAL ribbon tweeter though... More to come as we get closer
    This another juicy post by Dave, specifically the last line!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Dave, have you received the final tooling sample yet? If so, has it passed your inspection?

Will there be any word on final pricing soon? (What?....It's within a week of your other post!)
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 11-06-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Dave, have you received the final tooling sample yet? If so, has it passed your inspection?

Will there be any word on final pricing soon? (What?....It's within a week of your other post!)
    I am happy to report that this tooling has passed the vendor's inspection and a sample it on it's way to us for my approval. Should be here any day now.

Anyone care to guess what this is?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I am happy to report that this tooling has passed the vendor's inspection and a sample it on it's way to us for my approval. Should be here any day now.

Anyone care to guess what this is?
    Great Scott!! Are we going to have to gut the existing mid-woofer of its innards and install them into that new cast basket as part of the upgrade? Is it made of a super hi-tech alien alloy which turbo charges the performance of the old cone & motor assembly? Wow....wasn't expecting THAT!! Hehehe!!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Outstanding news on the tooling! That's really great to hear. Fingers crossed on the sample headed your way.

Thanks for the pic! That is, without a doubt, a cast basket integrated cup holder!! I've always wanted one of those on my speakers. The Big Glug 44oz drinks just don't sit well on my desk anymore. The Sierra-1 bamboo enclosure is the perfect thing for keeping the drink nice and cool.

That cup holder is going on the top of the cabinet, right?

Thanks Dave! I knew it, I knew it, I knew it.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Great Scott!! Are we going to have to gut the existing mid-woofer of its innards and install them into that new cast basket as part of the upgrade?
    Of course! That's all part of the fun. My favorite part is gluing the rubber surround to the cone and basket. It just makes me feel alive!
    -Jacob

You guys seriously crack me up.. You guessed it, you are going to have to gut the woofers and install the motor assembly, surround and spider into the new baskets..

Seriously though, and here is something that will surprise you -- that custom tooled cast basket frame is magnesium. Only one woofer vendor I know of that uses cast magnesium basket frames.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Aha! I was wondering if it was aluminum or magnesium. Sweet!

Would that lone vendor happen to be Vifa?
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

I enjoy reading this forum. You guys are hilarious!

Almost glad I don't own Sierra-1s (not really), because I don't think I could "gut the woofers". Now I can just buy Sierra-2s once they're available.

And... I placed an order for my new 5.1 speakers today!! Towers and Horizon w/RAAL, CBM-170, and F15HP. I added this not to brag.. ok, maybe a little.. but so you won't think I'm just some nutcase who goes around randomly reading forums.