Page 63 of 150 FirstFirst ... 5859606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Search your feelings, you know it's true ...

There is an..oth..er sky..woof..er

LMAO!! Dude, you nearly made me spew my beverage into the monitor! That's just awesome.

As Jay says, I'm sure Dave is having a hard time keeping the news corked up. However, I do admire him for taking this approach since it avoids certain problems down the road.

That being said, I'm definitely looking forward to the new mid-woofer revelation (even if Dave teases us otherwise). Tell you what, if the Sierra-2 doesn't include a new mid-woofer, I'll buy a pair of CMT-340 SE*. I mean, remember the accolades?

And I quote:

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I have been listening to the Sierra-2 for several hours now and the detail is leagues beyond any bookshelf speaker I have ever listened to. In addition, the midrange is lusher / warmer, more natural sounding and smoother and while the Sierra-2 doesn't quite reach down as low as the Sierra-1, the midbass is actually stronger and the overall bass response is more detailed.

I seriously can't wait to bring this new speaker to market!!!

*I really mean it--hand on heart. Besides, I've been wanting to try out the 340s in my bedroom anyway.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Wait, who said anything about a new mid-woofer? Isn't a custom RAAL true ribbon tweeter enough
    Just so you know, I've had your picture of the custom RAAL ribbon cemented in my mind since you posted it. Every square millimeter is permanently fixed in my memory. You definitely made my day with that photo and news.

I was talking to a friend of mine about this Sunday night. We got talking about birthday gifts (since my BD was a few days ago), and I started talking about the Sierra-2 upgrade being my belated birthday gift to myself. Let's face it, nobody else is going to spend that kind of money on me, LOL! Apparently I started getting excited while talking about the upgrade, and it was enough to make my friend start laughing. I know, right?

So, a custom RAAL ribbon? Oh heck yeah, I'll take two, please!!

You rock, Dave. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    -Jacob

Looking at the pic and my 70-10, it seems that the custom raal for the sierra 2 appears to be slightly shorter and narrower. If this is correct, this might translate to greater dispersion on the upper ends and able to not use to the pads to control and upward rise of the response.

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Search your feelings, you know it's true ...

There is an..oth..er sky..woof..er

So bet the farm, and with all the money you make you can get all the Sierra 2's you need!

Mark
    OK, so I'm still certain, but we gotta play along so we can all at least pretend to be surprised ya know!

Jay

I'm thinking the mid-woofer will have a phase plug. It won't be the same woofer as the mid-range driver in the Towers/Horizon, but I'm thinking it'll be somewhat similar -- much in the way that the Sierra-2 ribbon tweeter is a lower cost RAAL, but definitely similar to the 70-20XR in some respects.

Not quite as deep bass extension, but improved mid-range response and "snappier" mid-bass? Those sound like a mid-woofer with a phase plug to me

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_teller View Post
    I'm thinking the mid-woofer will have a phase plug. It won't be the same woofer as the mid-range driver in the Towers/Horizon, but I'm thinking it'll be somewhat similar -- much in the way that the Sierra-2 ribbon tweeter is a lower cost RAAL, but definitely similar to the 70-20XR in some respects.

Not quite as deep bass extension, but improved mid-range response and "snappier" mid-bass? Those sound like a mid-woofer with a phase plug to me
    Im going to give a wild guess. It will be using a underhung motor design.

Don't know what made me go back and look, but Dave has edited his post #606 with some REALLY good bits of info!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks for mentioning this, Ed!

Rather than quote Dave's post (in case he needs to edit it), here's a link to the entire post for future reference. Juicy bits and pieces!

It's great to see some objective comparisons between this new tweeter (whatever the model name is) and the current custom 70-20XR with Amorphous Core Transformer. I was curious how it stacked up from a performance standpoint. Although it doesn't measure or perform quite as well as the custom 70-20XR, we have to remember that 70-20XR is a world-class transducer, possibly the best ribbon tweeter in the world (or at least in the top 3). It's like comparing a prototype super car against, say, the Bugatti Veyron. The prototype might not be quite as fast, handle quite as well, or be as easy to drive, but we're still in a completely different league than measuring the prototype against a Corvette.

I will say that if I could highlight just one amazing thing about the 70-20XR, it's that the tweeter plays like it doesn't exist. It just disappears. I mean, all the highs are there, but it's extremely hard to localize compared to other speakers. The effect is uncanny and something I've never experienced before purchasing the Horizon. This new RAAL ribbon won't be able to match it perfectly, but if it can disappear a little bit more than the stock Sierra-1 tweeter, that would make my day.

Of course, the custom Sierra-1 is still available if one wants the 70-20XR. But as I understand it, the custom upgrade is an improvement in the upper-mids and high frequencies. The mid-woofer remains the same. With the Sierra-2, it'll likely be a complete upgrade from top to bottom. I'd rather go that route, especially since I don't need new cabinets.
    -Jacob

A bit of extrapolation if we use the info known to us. Since we know that both the detail, and dynamics of the midrange of the S-2 exceeds that of it's predecessor, it goes without saying that the new woofer has a higher power/weight ratio than the S-1.

Since the drivers are interchangeable, it's the same 5-1/4" size, but will have a significantly smaller moving mass/and/or more powerful motor structure. Simple physics, but, as we all know, nothing simple about designing/implementing/integrating it.

Jay

Everybody welcome to October.

Less than two months now.