Page 59 of 150 FirstFirst ... 5455565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    No, not without extensive cabinet modification. It is not even close.

The measurement you are referring to is not what should be used to compare to our published measurements. Under the same test conditions (production line measurements as opposed to lab generated measurements) where the microphone height and loudspeaker height is fixed and not at the ideal height, our Sierra Ribbon Towers generally exhibit the same slight rise. You should not be the least bit concerned about a 1.8dB deviation from dead flat between 15kHz-20Khz, there is not a tweeter manufacturer in existence (including RAAL) that can keep to a +/- 0.9dB tolerance in this frequency range and frankly, it isn’t necessary to do so as it would dramatically drive up costs.

Ricardo, it is important to understand that when a manufacturer formally publishes measurements, they always use a completed speaker that measures the best or the closest to average. They pick the woofers, tweeters, and crossovers out of many hundreds of units (or thousands) that best represent the average, as this should result in the most accurate published measurement. You are looking at a raw measurement, where we don't yet have the ability to establish the "average" for the components used, simply because there are only 2 of each of the components used in existence.

I can assure you that when we receive all of the Sierra-2 components, and we are then able to measure several hundred and establish an average for each component, our formal measurements for publication will likely look even better. The speakers won't sound any different, as there is not a human being alive that could actually hear a deviation in the frequency range you mention.

Confusion / concern like this is one of the reasons I generally don't like to post any measurements until the final product is in production, or at least until we receive volume quantities of the components being used.

Hope this makes sense!
    No worries Dave. We all dont know what the upgrade will be so whatever we discuss are just all talk.
    Sounds like though, that the raal may not be a candidate which could be a good thing in terms of cost for the end user.
    As with the recent graph you recently posted, im not concern one bit, i was just making a reference.
    Seriously we all cant wait for the real thing to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_teller View Post

The only reason for the mention of the larger port is because the Sierra-1 cabinets are made overseas. But Ascend also has a domestic cabinet maker. That domestic cabinet maker does not have stock or access to the regular Sierra-1 port. That port is only being made overseas. But the domestic cabinet maker DOES have access to the Sierra Tower port.

So smaller batches of Sierra-2 cabinets will be made domestically. They will use the larger Sierra Tower port, and they will have the same finish options as the Sierra Towers, meaning matte black and satin. The overseas cabinet maker will still be making the majority of Sierra-2 cabinets, which are identical to the Sierra-1 cabinets. So, same port, same finishes. It's only because the domestic cabinet maker will ALSO be making smaller batches of Sierra-2 cabinets that the whole "larger port" thing came up
    I'm curious about the 'which cabinet maker will be making most of the cabinets' topic. Gloss cabinets are made overseas, satin cabinets are made domestically.

Doesn't this all depend on how many people want a gloss cabinet and how many want satin?

What's the percentage gloss/satin for towers?

I might be wrong but I suspect the satin will be the more popular of the two finishes.

Dave should do a straw poll - or start taking pre-orders so he'll know which cabinets he'll need the most of!

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post
    I'm curious about the 'which cabinet maker will be making most of the cabinets' topic. Gloss cabinets are made overseas, satin cabinets are made domestically.

Doesn't this all depend on how many people want a gloss cabinet and how many want satin?

I might be wrong but I suspect the satin will be the more popular of the two finishes.

Dave should do a straw poll - or start taking pre-orders so he'll know which cabinets he'll need the most of!
    Oh, I totally agree!

I said a number of posts back that I actually think the domestic cabinets will end up outselling the overseas cabinets!

I think the matte black and satin finishes are going to be very popular, especially with people who will be buying the Sierra-2 as matching surround speakers for their matte black or satin finish Sierra Towers and Horizons. I also think that the larger port, whether it truly makes any significant audible difference or not, will end up being the more popular choice. You say, "stronger, deeper bass" and "larger", and that's all most people need to hear in order to opt for that choice! haha

I'm sure that piano gloss black will remain the top seller. So the overseas cabinets will have a lot of sales from that finish alone. And the gloss and natural finishes will still sell, of course

So, it might end up closer to 50/50 between the domestic and overseas cabinets. But my point was that I don't think these "small batches" of domestic cabinets are going to keep up with demand! Not only that, but, like I said, I think a lot of people are going to want that larger port, just because "look! Bigger!" haha

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    No worries Dave. We all dont know what the upgrade will be so whatever we discuss are just all talk.
    Sounds like though, that the raal may not be a candidate which could be a good thing in terms of cost for the end user.
    As with the recent graph you recently posted, im not concern one bit, i was just making a reference.
    Seriously we all cant wait for the real thing to come out.
    Happy to hear that you are excited about this new speaker Ricardo. It is definitely special and truly unique
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post

I honestly have no idea which cabinet maker will be making the most cabinets. Our overseas cabinet maker has large minimum quantities so we must purchase in bulk from them. Our local cabinet maker has MUCH lower minimums but they do cost more and the logistics is quite a bit more complicated as we must order all materials separately. For example, the bamboo needs to be ordered and shipped, port tubes need to be ordered, we must order all of the packaging materials etc...

It is funny, years ago I promised myself that I would simplify Ascend to be a bit more like most of our competitors (purchase fully assembled products etc.) as this end of managing the business has become quite complex due to our growth. However, it seems I have done just the opposite -- I have made things even more complex for us For the Sierra-2, there are components coming from all over the planet... crazy....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

And we thank you for it!

I'm sure if it was a benefit to the sound and not just the cost and complexity you would head that direction (for our sake, of course)

... For the Sierra-2, there are components coming from all over the planet... crazy....
    Yeah, for a sound that's "out of this world".

...For the Sierra-2, there are components coming from all over the planet... crazy....
    And from another planet, right Dave? Where did you source the Kryptonite Caps for the crossover from??
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
    Yeah, for a sound that's "out of this world".
    Indeed. I managed to capture this still photo just outside of the Ascend headquarters. I believe they're delivering a batch of new crossovers for the Sierra-2...

Mr. Fabrikant was unavailable for comment.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Indeed. I managed to capture this still photo just outside of the Ascend headquarters. I believe they're delivering a batch of new crossovers for the Sierra-2...

Mr. Fabrikant was unavailable for comment.
    That's just a rogue weather balloon....
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables