Page 57 of 150 FirstFirst ... 5253545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post
    You mean will the Sierra-2 be a Sierra-1?
    yea basically i thought the Sierra 2 would replace the Sierra 1 and then after that the Sierra 3 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by parimento1 View Post
    yea basically i thought the Sierra 2 would replace the Sierra 1 and then after that the Sierra 3 etc.
    The Sierra-1 will be what it is, two-way with cone drivers.

The Sierra-2 is same size box with cone woofer and ribbon tweeter.

People who own Sierra-1's will be able to order parts and update theirs to Sierra-2 (which is a pretty unusual and nice feature).

Both models will exist in the line.

Will the Sierra-2s only be available with the RAAL tweeter, or will there be a standard dome option?
    From what I have read in this thread the Sierra 2 will not be available with either a RAAL tweeter or a standard dome. It will be a less expensive, tweaked ribbon tweeter, most likely a Fountek or LCY variant and NOT a RAAL which would be cost prohibitive for its projected price point.
    Last edited by DevL; 08-30-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevL View Post
    From what I have read in this thread the Sierra 2 will not be available with either a RAAL tweeter or a standard dome. It will be a less expensive, tweaked ribbon tweeter, most likely a Fountek or LCY variant and NOT a RAAL which would be cost prohibitive for its projected price point.
    Another possibility, and this is pure speculation, is that Dave used his amazing relationship with RAAL to co-develop a low cost variant for the Sierra-2 that fits in the standard dome/NrT cutout. Now that would be awesome!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Another possibility, and this is pure speculation, is that Dave used his amazing relationship with RAAL to co-develop a low cost variant for the Sierra-2 that fits in the standard dome/NrT cutout. Now that would be awesome!

This is actually my baseline expectation. It just makes sense to me that Dave would work with a trusted partner on this effort. But that might not be true, and it really doesn't matter. It's the performance of the high-frequency driver, and the overall loudspeaker system as a whole, that really counts. So while knowing that there was a RAAL inside would be fantastic, I'm sure that the manufacturer name on that drivers won't matter to my long term enjoyment of the Sierra-2's sound.

Waiting. Patiently. OK, sort of patiently. And excitedly.

Quote Originally Posted by keihin View Post
    This is actually my baseline expectation. It just makes sense to me that Dave would work with a trusted partner on this effort. But that might not be true, and it really doesn't matter. It's the performance of the high-frequency driver, and the overall loudspeaker system as a whole, that really counts. So while knowing that there was a RAAL inside would be fantastic, I'm sure that the manufacturer name on that drivers won't matter to my long term enjoyment of the Sierra-2's sound.

Waiting. Patiently. OK, sort of patiently. And excitedly.
    Apparently the design and testing is all done and we're waiting the next three months for manufacturing to begin.

So I'm hoping we'll see some final information (and pics!) soon.

Keep in mind that the words Ascend Acoustics and off-the-shelf don't belong together. Even the reference-grade ribbon tweeter from RAAL that we all love has been customized for Ascend. Dave's relationship with vendors is second-to-none, and that's one reason he can request specific modifications to achieve his performance objectives.

Yes, I'm kind of biased after experiencing the RAAL's outstanding performance in my Horizon. It would be cool if the Sierra-2's tweeter was from RAAL as well, but it's not necessary. The Sierra-1 can already be ordered with the custom 70-20XR w/ACT. If I wanted that tweeter, I should just order a Sierra-1 pair configured appropriately.

Instead, I'm trying to consider the entire package. The RAAL-based Sierra-1 has (as far as I know) the same woofer as the standard Sierra-1. The Sierra-2, based on what Dave has shared so far, might have a different woofer as well as a new tweeter. In other words, the Sierra-2 seems to offer more well-rounded performance upgrades versus focusing on high-frequency or high-mid frequency performance upgrades.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I guess my point (if I had one) is that brand names don't always matter. There may be a brand name stamped on the Sierra-2 tweeter, but you can be assured it's not off-the-shelf. Dave seems pretty happy with the Sierra-2 performance and that's all that really matters to me.
    -Jacob

Will the Sierra-2s only be available with the RAAL tweeter, or will there be a standard dome option?
    Honestly, I haven't really given this much thought but it certainly would not be too difficult to throw either the NrT dome or the stock Sierra-1 dome in the Sierra-2 and develop a matching crossover. However, this would mostly just be a Sierra-1 / Sierra-1 NrT, which are already quite popular.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by rkoaudio View Post
    Fine ... but what about impedance curve? Would it be closer to original Sierra-1 or Tower?
    Attached is the impedance curve you asked for You will notice that the impedance does not drop below 6 ohms at any frequency. The Sierra-2 should be considered an 8ohm average loudspeaker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks a lot Dave!!! I has been some time and I thought you just ignored my request
    I can see that my little amp should be able to drive the new Sierras. One more request
    for the future. Because I am running the 2.0 system, I am really interested how much bass I would
    loose by moving to the version 2? Would you be able to overlay the lower part of the frequency response of the new Sierras with the Sierra-1? I know, you have already described it. I just would
    like something more "visual" if possible, since you are providing more and more measurement graphs.
    Last edited by rkoaudio; 09-04-2013 at 07:26 AM.