Page 5 of 150 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Awesome!

I had a flash a couple of minutes ago... If this is what's happening, I officially have super powers! An add on top cabinet for a mid woofer for the Sierra-1 (with crossover, of course). Let the rumor mill begin to turn! Logic behind the guess: 1) Doubt it's a tweeter upgrade, 2) doubt it's a woofer upgrade, 3) the cabinet must remain the same, so I don't know, for some reason the design of the tower with the mid on top and likely inner volume for the sealed mid, seems doable for a Sierra-1, so while I wish I'm right, I hope I haven't spoiled anything!!!

(if it's right and surprise must be kept feel free to delete this post!)
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 07-03-2012 at 07:36 PM.

It's probably either:
    • Bluetooth radio for wireless connectivity
    • Waterproof enclosure that looks like a rock for outdoor use

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    If all goes as planned, this will be our most significant upgrade yet. ...this will be an optional "uber performance" upgrade, available as factory new or DIY. I am extremely excited about this and have invested a significant sum to make this happen for you guys
    This version will firmly place the Sierra-1 into the ranks of the best bookshelf speaker at any price anywhere... Our customers asked for this and we are going to deliver BIG TIME!
    We are essentially designing and building custom parts from the ground up and committing to large enough purchase quantities to take maximum advantage of volume discounting to keep price points reasonable.
    Emphasis mine. I think the hint is the DIY option, not to mention the "uber performance." That does narrow it down based on what we know from previously mentioned prototype designs.

Yup, Dave knows how to tease us.

Might I add additional possibilities to logicology's list:
    • internal Class-H amplification of 2000 watts into 8 ohms (>120 dB SN @ 1 watt)
    • chameleon finish options to automatically blend into any decor
    • nano technology upgrade for improved sonic performance when evaluated in the realm of quantum mechanics

Whatever it is, I gotta have it!
    -Jacob

RAAL tweeter upgrade?
    Bunch of speakers

Good news Dave! I'll admit, I am bit nervous.....will this "upgrade" effect the Towers? I really cant swing any more A/V purchases for a while

Quote Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post
    RAAL tweeter upgrade?
    My bets are on this^^^^

Maybe a custom sized version to fit the sierra-1 cabinet including a revised XO.

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    My bets are on this^^^^

Maybe a custom sized version to fit the sierra-1 cabinet including a revised XO.
    I'll put my money on that as well...

Good news Dave! I'll admit, I am bit nervous.....will this "upgrade" effect the Towers? I really cant swing any more A/V purchases for a while
    I'm just speculating here, but I believe this optional upgrade is intended for the Sierra-1 monitors. Now with Dave, anything is possible, but the Towers are already Ascend's flagship performer offering exceptional SQ in a 3-way design (plus optional RAAL upgrade). Meanwhile, folks have inquired about a Sierra-1 upgrade and Dave has been working on various designs.

You should be safe...for now.

My bets are on this^^^^ [RAAL tweeter upgrade]

Emphasis mine. I remember Dave saying that the current 70-20XR model could not be fitted to a current Sierra-1 cabinet. I have a lot of faith in Dave's ingenuity and engineering skill, but that would take a miracle to accomplish. Then again, this wouldn't be the first miracle he's pulled off.

I'm with all of you; looking forward to future announcements. As I've mentioned before, I just don't have the space for Towers. My Sierra-1 monitors are placed on Auralex MoPads resting on a computer desk. If Ascend can offer an additional upgrade for these puppies (beyond the NrT), I'm going to do everything I can to get it.

When this upgrade is ready, it will be interesting to hear Dave's feedback on the level of performance compared to the Towers. For example, this upgrade will deliver 84.93% of the NrT Tower performance (number pulled from thin air for demo purposes).

Oh, and one more thing: I'm sure we'll have to twist Curtis's arm real hard to stop by the Ascend workshop when Dave is ready for show and tell.
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 07-04-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Typo
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post
    RAAL tweeter upgrade?
    My doubts with that is that the RAAL upgrade is 700$ for the towers, and that's basically ignoring/replacing the NrT crossover with the RAAL crossover, in other words, you're only purchasing 2 RAAL tweeters (so around 350 each) for the towers as the price of two crossovers is already included in the original price of the NrT towers, so the RAAL upgrade cost is majority tweeters imho.

So if the upgrade is for the Sierra-1 RAAL tweeter, your current crossover is useless, so you must buy two more crossovers, so if the pricing is similar, you're looking at >700$, not below 800$ in my estimate... Which is a significant cost! It's the original price for the Sierras!

If we take the NrT upgrade, it was 340$, so I'm not sure how great the pricing works.. Sure, maybe volume discounts and all will factor, but a RAAL upgrade will be quite costly... There are cheaper ribbon tweeters available though, some which would probably fit in the existing cabinet...

But thinking back on my earlier guess, my mid cabinet option might also be quite expensive, not sure how much it would cost to make 2 small cabinets + two mids + crossover... Maybe also costly... And performance wise, not having heard the NrT towers or RAAL towers, I could only guess which of these two upgrades would be better... Another thing, the towers use different bass woofers from Sierra-1, so again maybe another component to change? Leaving as is would be ok too, but if you add the mid.. Anyhow, can't wait to hear more details
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 07-04-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Oh, and one more thing: I'm sure we'll have to twist Curtis's arm real hard to stop by the Ascend workshop when Dave is ready for show and tell.
    I can see Curtis hopping in his Ninja suit and peering inside the windows of the Ascend factory...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 07-04-2012 at 02:44 PM.