Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post
    If you have a subwoofer these might perform better than the standard towers for about the same money (after factoring in cost of stands).
    I disagree. In my opinion, the dedicated mid-range driver makes a HUGE difference with clarity, detail, and overall resolution.

Above the HF driver crossover point, the Sierra-1 RAAL would have a technical advantage over the standard NrT Tower. Below that, the Towers will surpass the Sierra-1 in the critical mid-range due to the dedicated lower mass driver (among other things). The Towers are also more dynamic and have better transient response than the Sierra-1. Using the Sierra-1 RAAL with a subwoofer will be great match, but it cannot outperform the Towers within the mid-range and upper bass regions.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    I disagree. In my opinion, the dedicated mid-range driver makes a HUGE difference with clarity, detail, and overall resolution.

Above the HF driver crossover point, the Sierra-1 RAAL would have a technical advantage over the standard NrT Tower. Below that, the Towers will surpass the Sierra-1 in the critical mid-range due to the dedicated lower mass driver (among other things). The Towers are also more dynamic and have better transient response than the Sierra-1. Using the Sierra-1 RAAL with a subwoofer will be great match, but it cannot outperform the Towers within the mid-range and upper bass regions.
    Definitively stated opinion there. Have you heard both or is this conjecture?

So the NRT cone driver has 'better transient response' than the RAAL ribbon tweeter?

If the two thousand dollar NRT towers are across the board better than the Sierra-1/RAAL at the same price (with stands) why would Dave make the Sierra-1/RAAL's?

I think you are over stating your case here. But I haven't heard them so cannot speak as conclusively as you have.

So the NRT cone driver has 'better transient response' than the RAAL ribbon tweeter?

If the two thousand dollar NRT towers are across the board better than the Sierra-1/RAAL at the same price (with stands) why would Dave make the Sierra-1/RAAL's? 'Below that' the towers would have the advantage.

I think you are over stating your case here. But I haven't heard them so cannot speak as conclusively as you have.
    Dark Ranger didn't say it was an across the board improvement. He said the HF (High Frequencies) would be better with the Raal.
    You quoted him but didn't read the post carefully at all.

If the two thousand dollar NRT towers are across the board better than the Sierra-1/RAAL at the same price (with stands) why would Dave make the Sierra-1/RAAL's?

Remember, the Sierra-1 with the RAAL 70-20XR is a custom build for customers that requested it, for whatever reason. My guess is because these customers could not accommodate a tower speaker, did not want to wait for the Sierra-2, and were willing to spend the extra dollars. It is not a standard product.

Dave has also stated not to underestimate the dedicated midrange in the Towers and what it does.
    -curtis

For the record, I own a Horizon with RAAL. I also own a pair of Sierra-1 because I cannot fit the Towers in my space.

No, definitely not. The RAAL is technically superior to the exceptional NrT. I'm not comparing the tweeters, I'm comparing the speakers themselves. As I stated in my initial post, the Towers are also more dynamic and have better transient response than the Sierra-1. I was trying to make a point that there is much more to the Sierra Towers than meets the eye.

With the Sierra-1 RAAL, the ribbon tweeter can be crossed lower and take over more of the mid-range duty. However, the Sierra-1 with RAAL cannot compete in the mid-range and upper bass range with the full Sierra Towers, regardless of what tweeter is in the Towers. I promise you that the dedicated mid-range driver makes a very big difference. The low mass driver and superb motor system allow the mid-range driver to excel in this area compared to the single Sierra-1 woofer designed for mid and low frequencies.

Like Curtis mentioned, Dave is providing the Sierra-1 RAAL as a custom speaker for customers wanting the outstanding ribbon tweeter. They are not part of the official product line nor are they advertised as such. There are some folks who cannot fit a pair of towers in their listening room, but want the benefits of the custom 70-20XR.

Well, my opinion is based on ~1 year of owning the RAAL Horizon and about 1.25 years of owning Sierra-1s. I love them both very dearly, but the Horizon is clearly superior to my ears for the reasons I mentioned.

If you want exceptional HF performance in a small package and want to use a sub for the bottom end, then the Sierra-1 RAAL option might just be for you. However, my opinion is that the Towers/Horizon surpass the Sierra-1 RAAL overall both sonically and technically. It's a no-brainer if you've got the space for Towers.
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 03-17-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    -Jacob

If the two thousand dollar NRT towers are across the board better than the Sierra-1/RAAL at the same price (with stands) why would Dave make the Sierra-1/RAAL's
    yeah he was talking about mids for transient response... But tweets also affect mids, so RAAL +sierra1 woofer vs NrT + dedicated mid.. My uneducated guess; latter wins for mids.. Actually, no idea.. Would have to see crossover points and driver distortion figures... :P but yeah, even if same price; diminishing returns; towers probably better overall; better bang for buck; not sure S1 RAAL outperforms in mids...

Y RAAL? because people want it some for upgrades, others for matching surrounds, etc..
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 03-18-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Hello All!

This is my first post here. I've been researching for a new front stage on my system based on bookshelves since I don't have the space for towers. Been following the Sierra-1 for a while and then stumbled upon this thread and then saw the picture of the Sierra-1 with the tower's RAAL tweeter. WOW! At less than $1800 per pair it goes head to head with other bookshelves from Revel Performa3 m106 and Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 based on price alone, and they look beautiful. It would be interesting to see how those compare.

I am eagerly awaiting the release of the Sierra-2. Seeing as it could actually be less expensive than the Sierra-1 RAAL and still offer most of its benefits.

@Dave, hello

Can you tell us what is the crossover point for the Sierra-1 with RAAL? How much lower than with the NrT tweeter? Do you do the same for the Sierra-1 Center as well?

Can you post a picture of the Sierra-2 prototype?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
    I am eagerly awaiting the release of the Sierra-2. Seeing as it could actually be less expensive than the Sierra-1 RAAL and still offer most of its benefits.

@Dave, hello

Can you tell us what is the crossover point for the Sierra-1 with RAAL? How much lower than with the NrT tweeter? Do you do the same for the Sierra-1 Center as well?
    Welcome to the forum!

Crossover point for the Sierra-1 with RAAL 70-20XR is approximately 2kHz, basically the same crossover point as the Sierra-1 NrT. However, with the RAAL ribbon, we are using a shallower slope. The center would be the same as the left/right...

Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
    Can you post a picture of the Sierra-2 prototype?
    Sorry, until we finalize the design and components of the Sierra-2, I am unable to post a photo.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

heard people playing air hockey on tv through the Sierra-1 NrT and it was very annoying but at the same time simply amazing hahah

OK, I have to put this out there, especially in light of the recent information regarding the custom RAAL Sierra-1. I just found this speaker on the Salk website. It is named SILK. Small 2-way bookshelf monitor using a Scan Speak Illuminator woofer and a RAAL tweeter. What in the Lord's name could justify the nearly $3,500 introductory asking price?? Check it out.

http://www.salksound.com/silk%20-%20home.htm
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables