Page 4 of 150 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Curtis,

After reading quite a few threads I have been impressed with your responses.

Is the tower mid speaker the same size as the bass so it would fit into the bookshelf?
    Would this work as an option by giving more mid detail, while loosing some bass response?

I might rather save the $700 for the RAAL bookshelf & spend it on a sub.

Maybe it would be called the Sierra-1 M

I'd have to spend money for stands for the RAAL book shelves which would end up being the same foot print as the towers. I'd look at the towers as being less then $200 dollars & would probably opt for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Curtis,

After reading quite a few threads I have been impressed with your responses.

Is the tower mid speaker the same size as the bass so it would fit into the bookshelf?
    Would this work as an option by giving more mid detail, while loosing some bass response?
    The midrange driver and woofers are approximately the same size, but it isn't some bass you would lose out on...it is A LOT. Not even deep enough to crossover to a sub. So not feasible.
    -curtis

I posted my first response entirely in jest, but it seems this thread may have gotten out of hand. The Sierra 1 (and it's subsequent upgrade to the NrT) is an awesome stand mount speaker: at it's price point (and several points above!) there is no challenger, IMHO. There are quite a few speaker systems designed for that 80-100Hz cutoff, but none that I would spend money on (most seem to have a 3-4" midrange - ick!). To incorporate the mid bass from the towers into the Sierra just seems backwards to me. The Sierra 1 has incredible bass for it's size (yes, it may be a tad slower than a dedicated midrange driver, but could the majority of us tell the difference if a proper crossover were incorporated?) but with the many room correction systems (of which I use none) it is a completely viable HT speaker. Now, the RAAL tweeter does intrigue me, but, as Dave posted earlier, it would take almost a complete redesign (i.e. port location, etc.) of an already epic enclosure. Also, from what I have read on the 'threads, one might as well shell out the cash money for the towers.

I am always on the hunt for something better, but, for the time being, I am perfectly at home with my Sierra 1 NrTs. I love Dave's style: research, research, test, test, research (ad infinitum) and possibly upgrade...
    "I aim to misbehave..."

Smile Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

It's a fairly difficult choice honestly, lol. Although, if someone is set on RAAL tweeters in a bookshelf, a Sierra-1 center is probably the most sensible option. It's maybe a couple hundred or so less than the NrT Horizon, and it's noticeably smaller for those who are tight on space. It's like an HTM-200 SE in that sense

Hm. I suppose I really am just rehashing what others are saying. RAAL bookshelves are an excellent option to have, where towers or stands simply aren't an option themselves.
    Last edited by choirbass; 04-24-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Hey everyone...

A quick update to this thread...

While I can not post details just yet, we have made a rather significant investment into the future of the Sierra-1 / Sierra-1 NrT.

Combining our vast experience, our decades old worldwide vendor relationships and our resources - crucial attributes that few, if any, other ID companies can match - work has now begun on something quite special...

Current and future Sierra-1 owners will be very, very happy
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave!! You just made my day!!

I am very excited to hear this update. You know, every one of your product updates have been significant and worth waiting for:

- Signature Edition for 200/170/340
    - NrT upgrade for Sierra-1
    - RAAL upgrade for Sierra Towers/STC

...not to mention the original products themselves.

As I've mentioned to you before, I love my Sierra-1s, but I think I will start saving my pennies for whatever you've got cooking.

Thank you!!
    -Jacob

Oh boy-oh-boy-oh-boy-oh-boy!!

Oh how you are a tease master, Dave! Going to be checking this thread constantly now.

Too bad I'm so broke that I can't even pay attention
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Interesting... Any ETA?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Dave!! You just made my day!!

I am very excited to hear this update. You know, every one of your product updates have been significant and worth waiting for:

- Signature Edition for 200/170/340
    - NrT upgrade for Sierra-1
    - RAAL upgrade for Sierra Towers/STC

...not to mention the original products themselves.

As I've mentioned to you before, I love my Sierra-1s, but I think I will start saving my pennies for whatever you've got cooking.

Thank you!!
    If all goes as planned, this will be our most significant upgrade yet. The Sierra-1 and Sierra-1 NrT will not change -- this will be an optional "uber performance" upgrade, available as factory new or DIY. I am extremely excited about this and have invested a significant sum to make this happen for you guys

This version will firmly place the Sierra-1 into the ranks of the best bookshelf speaker at any price anywhere... Our customers asked for this and we are going to deliver BIG TIME!

Happy 4th!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Interesting... Any ETA?
    Difficult to say at this point, within a year though. I still have to work out some details but I believe the most challenging part is done. We are essentially designing and building custom parts from the ground up and committing to large enough purchase quantities to take maximum advantage of volume discounting to keep price points reasonable.

To be perfectly frank, the success of the Sierra towers has allowed us to make a significant investment back into our company and you, our customers, are going to be the beneficiaries
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com