Page 18 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    pssst...I got to hear a single prototype today for a few songs next to a standard Sierra-1. Lusher mids, more detail throughout, and doesn't extend quite as deep. All subject to change as Dave has not finalized anything.

I can't tell you the pricing or timing...Dave still doesn't know. It is a ways away.
    If I told you anything about components, I would have to kill you right afterwards, so don't ask.
    Curtis: I hope the drivers on Sierra-2 doesn't affect Towers?? I waited long enough to order my Towers if not I am hoping that Dave will offer an upgrade for existing Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post
    Curtis: I hope the drivers on Sierra-2 doesn't affect Towers?? I waited long enough to order my Towers if not I am hoping that Dave will offer an upgrade for existing Towers.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    -curtis

pssst...I got to hear a single prototype today for a few songs next to a standard Sierra-1. Lusher mids, more detail throughout, and doesn't extend quite as deep. All subject to change as Dave has not finalized anything.

I can't tell you the pricing or timing...Dave still doesn't know. It is a ways away.
    If I told you anything about components, I would have to kill you right afterwards, so don't ask.
    What?! Are you kidding me?! You visited Ascend's Top Secret (and highly classified) Skunkworks facility and they let you walk out without using the Men In Black Neuralyzer on you? OK, Brian is seriously slacking! That was his one job to do at Ascend--protect company secrets! (BTW, the whole "helping customers" thing is just his cover story.)

Since you've now supplied us with valuable information about the upcoming Sierra-2 (and lived to tell about it), I'm guessing that you were intentionally set loose. Check your wrist the next time you're in the shower for a surgically-implanted tracking device.

OK, fun and games aside, thanks for the update on the new speakers. I'm thrilled that you heard that much difference between it and the standard Sierra-1. The difference between the Sierra-2 and the Sierra-1 NrT is probably less, but still noticeable. Truth be told, ever since Dave posted those pics of the "custom LCRs," I've been trying to fit them into my room and budget. But I'd go the RAAL route on those. Since I'm just at the start of installing room treatments, that takes first priority. The Sierra-2 upgrade remains firmly on the table as a cost-effective way (OK, that's debatable ) to improve on a stellar design. I know it's too soon for details, but I am somewhat concerned about the slightly reduced low-frequency extension. I run a two-channel setup in full-range mode, and with Q-Plug B, the low end is quite satisfying. That said, low frequency extension can always be solved with my Rythmik if needed, and I'd much rather have improved mid and high frequency reproduction. No worries, I'm not going to fret quite yet, just thinking out loud.

I am very much looking forward to the next several months! For what it's worth, I am ready to die for classified knowledge and exclusive details of the Sierra-2. I'll even supply the sword.
    -Jacob

are we going to get this product out before new year?

Ricardo,

Not likely. There is still more work to do before the design is finalized and prices are set. Based on the last tentative estimates, we still have a few months to go before the Sierra-2 heads for production.

Personally, I don't expect to see these available until March the earliest. There's much yet to be done.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Ricardo,

Not likely. There is still more work to do before the design is finalized and prices are set. Based on the last tentative estimates, we still have a few months to go before the Sierra-2 heads for production.

Personally, I don't expect to see these available until March the earliest. There's much yet to be done.
    Correct...just about every aspect of the speaker I saw/heard was not the final version. Dave is still working with vendors on minor tweaks on components.

It is amazing what Dave's suppliers/vendors will do for him to make things "perfect". There is such a high level of respect between Ascend and its suppliers....engineer to engineer working on optimizing everything. Not just picking drivers off the shelf and developing a crossover to work with them...so much deeper than that. I learned some very interesting things.
    Last edited by curtis; 12-02-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    -curtis

Correct...just about every aspect of the speaker I saw/heard was not the final version. Dave is still working with vendors on minor tweaks on components.

It is amazing what Dave's suppliers/vendors will do for him to make things "perfect". There is such a high level of respect between Ascend and its suppliers....engineer to engineer working on optimizing everything. Not just picking drivers off the shelf and developing a crossover to work with them...so much deeper than that. I learned some very interesting things.
    Cool.
    The sierra2 is supposed to be part of the upgrade for the sierra1 owners as well right?

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Cool.
    The sierra2 is supposed to be part of the upgrade for the sierra1 owners as well right?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Yes
    Correct. A Sierra-1/NrT can be upgraded to a Sierra-2.
    -curtis

Curtis, you know that I'm jealous, right?

Hopefully Dave will add some of his own comments and throw us some more morsels to chew on!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables