Page 149 of 150 FirstFirst ... 144145146147148149150 LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1493

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by cgramer View Post
    Seems like an extreme solution, but sure. Or I could just get other speakers that already have magnetic grilles. But it's not that important to me. It's all about the sound.

—Chris
    You could instead go with Sierra Luna LCRs, which will have very similar performance to the Sierra 2s. Dave is currently working on them, but said that he is thinking maybe May, they would be available. The Lunas have magnetic grills, so I think the Luna LCRs would as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cgramer View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and joined to ask this question about the Sierra-2, which looks amazing and currently tops my list of potential new bookshelf speakers for the two-channel (plus subs) system I'm planning. I have one feature request for the next run, if there is one, and it's just an aesthetic one: Any chance you could switch to magnetic grilles? I love listening without grilles on, and not having the four holes on the baffle would look so much better, especially on the finish I'm looking at, the satin dark cherry.

Thanks for considering it!

—Chris
    Welcome to the forum Chris!

Our standard Sierra-2 cabinets as offered on the website are made for us by our overseas cabinet maker. We purchase these in very high volumes in order to lower our costs and keep retail pricing down. Magnetic grilles is something we are looking into, but it does require significant changes to the both the design of the cabinet as well as the grille itself and it will increase the retail pricing a bit. That stated, it would be at least a full year, possible even longer before we are even able start prototyping.

We can make a custom Sierra-2 cabinet with magnetic grilles from our local cabinet maker, but this will be quite a bit more expensive than our standard cabinets. Please feel free to email me directly if you would like to discuss in more detail.

thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi there! I had the good fortune to stumble across a pair of these speakers on Craigslist and was able to get them for $650!!

I've been listening to them the last couple of days and I must say they're stunning speakers. In both sound quality and looks. The pair I found are piano gloss black and in pristine condition.

I currently have SVS Ultra towers up front and 3 Ultra books for surround and center channel duty. I'm also quite enamored with them as well, but my time spent with the Sierra 2s has me considering the Sierra towers. I have a large space (more than 6000^3) and like it loud sometimes.

That said, I'm really surprised at how much usable, clean bass these can produce! I expected to be wowed by the Raal tweeters (and I am) but the LFR of the sierra 2s is very impressive as well! They will be very easy to blend with my subs. My only concern is achieving the spl I like to hit from time to time. Hence my consideration for the Sierra towers.31496-360x480.jpeg
    31500-360x480.jpeg31507-640x480.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pogre; 04-23-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Hello,

Just wanted to toss this question out there. I currently have a pair of the Sierra-1 speakers and was thinking about upgrading them to the 2EX. If I do that though, I'm left with the components minus cabinets for two speakers. Just seems like a waste of product. If anything, I could use them for rear surrounds. Are there any available cabinet plans? Yeah, the components are specked for bamboo cabinets, but for surrounds (e.g., planes flying by and car crashes) I don't think they have to be that particular. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    Hello,

Just wanted to toss this question out there. I currently have a pair of the Sierra-1 speakers and was thinking about upgrading them to the 2EX. If I do that though, I'm left with the components minus cabinets for two speakers. Just seems like a waste of product. If anything, I could use them for rear surrounds. Are there any available cabinet plans? Yeah, the components are specked for bamboo cabinets, but for surrounds (e.g., planes flying by and car crashes) I don't think they have to be that particular. Thanks.
    Parts Express has speaker box kits that seem like a good value. Something close to the same cabinet volume would probably work ok.
    Nate

Hello,

We don't offer any cabinet plans but we do have customers who have built their own cabinets for the components. Ideally, you would want to copy both the dimensions and port tuning of the Sierra-1 cabinet.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hello,

Or, you can simply sell the S-1's to me at half price!

I'm debating on whether I want to get the EX upgrade for my Sierra 2s or go for the towers with Raal tweets. Can I expect more power handling and dynamics at high volumes with the kit? I have a huge room, sit 15' from the front stage and like it loud sometimes. These little books sound so good that I'm considering replacing my current towers.

To me they don't sound any smaller and do very well until I get to about reference level. That's where the towers seem to ask for more and I'm a little too nervous to push the S2s much harder.

I was perfectly happy with my system until I heard these S2s, damn you, lol.

Get the towers, you won't regret it. I have never heard the ex but I had the 2s. It's night and day if you ask me. It's even crossed over at 80hz with my sub and it's still a big improvement. To sum it up in a few words, fuller sounding, clearer midrange, and louder.
    TV: LG 65C8 - Receiver: Emotiva XMC-2 (9.1.4) - Blu-ray: UB820, x800m2 - Music: Sdtrans384 - Amp: Parasound A23 & A52+, Outlaw 7075 - LCR Speakers: Ascend Towers Raal ELX & Horizon RAAL ELX - Surround: (10) BG Radia PD-6i - Sub: Rythmik F18 - Power Cable: PS AC5, PS SC, Venom v14 - Speaker Cable: Furez - Interconnects: Neotech, Mogami, Pure Silver - Probe: Display Pro & i1 Pro2 - Software: Colourspace HTL & Rpi4 - Bias - MediaLight - Remote: Harmony Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I'm debating on whether I want to get the EX upgrade for my Sierra 2s or go for the towers with Raal tweets. Can I expect more power handling and dynamics at high volumes with the kit? I have a huge room, sit 15' from the front stage and like it loud sometimes. These little books sound so good that I'm considering replacing my current towers.

To me they don't sound any smaller and do very well until I get to about reference level. That's where the towers seem to ask for more and I'm a little too nervous to push the S2s much harder.

I was perfectly happy with my system until I heard these S2s, damn you, lol.
    Hi Pogre,

Very happy to hear that you have been enjoying the Sierra-2. Reference level at a 15 foot listening distance with a speaker rated at 86-87 dB sensitivity is very problematic. To reach 85dB from one speaker at this distance requires only about 20 watts of power into the speaker. The problem is that there is 20dB of headroom, such that reference level peaks = 105dB. To be able to reproduce these peaks at your listening distance with speakers rated at this sensitivity requires a massive 1600 watts of power. Your receiver or amplifier does not have that kind of power (nor can a speaker handle anywhere near this), thus you run the very real risk of causing your amp/receiver to clip badly. This can cause extensive damage to your speakers that is not covered under warranty.

At your listening distance, I highly recommend going with our towers, which have much higher sensitivity and can also handle more power.

Hope this makes sense!
    Last edited by davef; 04-29-2020 at 07:42 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com