Page 148 of 148 FirstFirst ... 143144145146147148
Results 1,471 to 1,478 of 1478

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

  1. #1471
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,592

    Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    Dave, just out of curiosity, have you ever built a Sierra tower or Horizon with the Curv woofers from the Sierra-2? Just wondering how something like that might turn out.
    There is really no point as the dedicated mid in the tower is a better overall midrange driver and the bass woofers in the tower extend quite a bit deeper. The Sierra-2 woofer is about as good as it gets for a driver that needs to reproduce both mids and lows.

    That said, I have been working with SEAS on a dedicated 6" Curv midrange, but, so far, the performance is only marginally better than the current midrange driver we use in the tower. The cost, however, is over 4x higher, which would force us to raise the price of the towers by quite a bit and the price increase isn't justified IMO.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  2. #1472
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Just outside Pearland, TX
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We have made this speaker for a few customers of ours as some prefer the sound of a high quality dome tweeter over a ribbon, but they also wanted more detailed mids and a faster transient response than what the Sierra-1 NrT woofer is capable of.
    Fascinating. Can you use the stock Sierra-2 crossover for this, or does this arrangement require a new one, something in between the S1 NrT and the S2?
    .
    Very pleased Sierra-1 NrT and Sierra-1 owner

  3. #1473
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    There is really no point as the dedicated mid in the tower is a better overall midrange driver and the bass woofers in the tower extend quite a bit deeper. The Sierra-2 woofer is about as good as it gets for a driver that needs to reproduce both mids and lows.

    That said, I have been working with SEAS on a dedicated 6" Curv midrange, but, so far, the performance is only marginally better than the current midrange driver we use in the tower. The cost, however, is over 4x higher, which would force us to raise the price of the towers by quite a bit and the price increase isn't justified IMO.
    Would this option be available for one-off orders?

  4. #1474
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,592

    Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

    Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Fascinating. Can you use the stock Sierra-2 crossover for this, or does this arrangement require a new one, something in between the S1 NrT and the S2?
    Proper loudspeaker design always requires a new or heavily modified crossover when using different transducers from what was designed for the original crossover.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  5. #1475
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Just outside Pearland, TX
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Proper loudspeaker design always requires a new or heavily modified crossover when using different transducers from what was designed for the original crossover.
    That's what I thought. When I upgraded from S1 to S1NrT I noticed the crossovers were quite different. (The NrT crossover uses much larger transformers and caps.) Haven't seen an S2 crossover yet.
    .
    Very pleased Sierra-1 NrT and Sierra-1 owner

  6. #1476
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,592

    Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    Would this option be available for one-off orders?
    Not at this time, perhaps sometime in the future. As mentioned, we are not at the point where I feel the performance of this woofer justifies the price point. SEAS custom builds everything for us, and in order to do so - we must typically order 500 or more units at a time. I don't feel it would be a wise financial move to spend a huge sum of $$ on a component for a few custom builds

    We are constantly in a process of evaluating ways to improve product performance, in many cases - since all of our speakers are heavily engineered to begin with, it is far more complex than one might imagine and replacing a component means a complete redesign of the crossover as well.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  7. #1477
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Grand Haven, MI
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

    Dave, I know you're insanely busy with the website update...

    But, have you thought about providing this option for those who may want to upgrade the midrange on the towers? Similar to what you did with the Sierra 1.

    Just curious!
    -Ben

  8. #1478
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    There is really no point as the dedicated mid in the tower is a better overall midrange driver and the bass woofers in the tower extend quite a bit deeper. The Sierra-2 woofer is about as good as it gets for a driver that needs to reproduce both mids and lows.

    That said, I have been working with SEAS on a dedicated 6" Curv midrange, but, so far, the performance is only marginally better than the current midrange driver we use in the tower. The cost, however, is over 4x higher, which would force us to raise the price of the towers by quite a bit and the price increase isn't justified IMO.
    Ah, that makes sense. I totally agree on the Curv woofer on the Sierra-2. People always talk about how great the Raal tweeter is, but the curv woofer is just as amazing IMO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •