Page 146 of 150 FirstFirst ... 141142143144145146147148149150 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1493

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

An update in case anyone was interested. I am now powering my S2's with a 25 watt amp. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out but they sound great, maybe even better than my main system (with a power amp).

BTW, I started with a pair of 200's for convenience - new stereo in new room. I've had 200's as surrounds for years but never really ever have just listened to them. I have to say I was impressed. But they still went back as surrounds and moved the S2's in when everything was ready. I could totally see having a nice 2-channel system and using 200's.

Quote Originally Posted by tme110 View Post
    An update in case anyone was interested. I am now powering my S2's with a 25 watt amp. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out but they sound great, maybe even better than my main system (with a power amp).

BTW, I started with a pair of 200's for convenience - new stereo in new room. I've had 200's as surrounds for years but never really ever have just listened to them. I have to say I was impressed. But they still went back as surrounds and moved the S2's in when everything was ready. I could totally see having a nice 2-channel system and using 200's.
    Happy to hear it is working out well with the low powered amp. Which amp did you go with?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Happy to hear it is working out well with the low powered amp. Which amp did you go with?
    I'm curious as well.

BTW....Dave, what ever became of Virtue Audio and their little amps? If I recall correctly, you had used their mono block amps at one point.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I'm curious as well.

BTW....Dave, what ever became of Virtue Audio and their little amps? If I recall correctly, you had used their mono block amps at one point.
    Honestly haven't heard from Anthony Krinski in at least 2 years. Website is still up but looks like they are focusing on cables now.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Here's a review that I just posted to Audiogon - hope it's okay to just copy and paste it here - I'm really impressed with my Sierra 2's.

I case anyone is still thinking of getting the Sierra 2's, I'll add my two cents. I've had mine about three weeks, and am very impressed. Right off the bat, I thought they seemed a little bright, but either they've calmed down after burning in, or my ears have adjusted. Part of the adjustment is that they just give you gobs of detail. Probably a little of both. And the bass response in tight, and tuneful - and plenty for me. And probably my favorite thing is they sound fantastic at lower volumes, as I live in a condo.

Associated equipment:
    Rega Elex-R amp
    Mostly lossless digital files (some 320) from either my iPod classic, or computer.
    Peachtree DAC
    Highly upgraded Rega RP3 w/ Rega Exact and Rega MKii Fono amp

Speakers I've either owned or auditioned in my home in the past few years:
    -Monitor Audio GR10 - pretty amazing paired with a NAD 326 amp - fantastic bang for the buck.
    -Epos Elan 15 - seemed kind of dark - didn't keep for long
    -Monitor Audio GX100 - nice, but always sounded like you were listening to a speaker - not very transparent.
    -Totem Acoustics Rainmaker - way too bright with my amp.
    -B&W 685 S2 - Great bang for the buck - great with digital music, but I didn't care too much for them with my vinyl - a little too warm.
    -Dynaudio Excite X-12 - the best I had until I got the Sierras - great imaging, tight, punchy bass, and good detail in the highs.
    -Dynaudio Focus 160 - hands down the best tweeter (but the Sierra's is very, very close), but the bass response seemed kind of flabby and unfocused.

And it certainly doesn't hurt that the Sierra 2's are drop dead gorgeous. I got the B-stock satin espresso, and I have no idea why they were b-stock, because they look flawless to me - and I saved $300.Hope this helps anyone else thinking about getting a pair - I think they punch way above their weight.

Quote Originally Posted by obrej View Post
    Here's a review that I just posted to Audiogon - hope it's okay to just copy and paste it here - I'm really impressed with my Sierra 2's.

I case anyone is still thinking of getting the Sierra 2's, I'll add my two cents. I've had mine about three weeks, and am very impressed. Right off the bat, I thought they seemed a little bright, but either they've calmed down after burning in, or my ears have adjusted. Part of the adjustment is that they just give you gobs of detail. Probably a little of both. And the bass response in tight, and tuneful - and plenty for me. And probably my favorite thing is they sound fantastic at lower volumes, as I live in a condo.

Associated equipment:
    Rega Elex-R amp
    Mostly lossless digital files (some 320) from either my iPod classic, or computer.
    Peachtree DAC
    Highly upgraded Rega RP3 w/ Rega Exact and Rega MKii Fono amp

Speakers I've either owned or auditioned in my home in the past few years:
    -Monitor Audio GR10 - pretty amazing paired with a NAD 326 amp - fantastic bang for the buck.
    -Epos Elan 15 - seemed kind of dark - didn't keep for long
    -Monitor Audio GX100 - nice, but always sounded like you were listening to a speaker - not very transparent.
    -Totem Acoustics Rainmaker - way too bright with my amp.
    -B&W 685 S2 - Great bang for the buck - great with digital music, but I didn't care too much for them with my vinyl - a little too warm.
    -Dynaudio Excite X-12 - the best I had until I got the Sierras - great imaging, tight, punchy bass, and good detail in the highs.
    -Dynaudio Focus 160 - hands down the best tweeter (but the Sierra's is very, very close), but the bass response seemed kind of flabby and unfocused.

And it certainly doesn't hurt that the Sierra 2's are drop dead gorgeous. I got the B-stock satin espresso, and I have no idea why they were b-stock, because they look flawless to me - and I saved $300.Hope this helps anyone else thinking about getting a pair - I think they punch way above their weight.
    Thanks for the wonderful review! Happy to know that you are enjoying the 2's
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It was just a random Italian amp. I couldn't find a single review on it and only one place in the country sells it but I loved the sound of it and took one home. I admit, I've never given much thought to trying out different amps - spend my time wondering about speakers. On a whim one day I tried a small Emotiva amp attached to my receiver and was surprised to notice a difference. Then I tried the amp attacked directly to my OPPO universal player and noticed a large difference - then replaced the emotiva amp with a better one and never looked into it again. Unfortunalely Capital Audio fest got me wondering again (because I wasn't getting 'that sound' ) and tried for something else.

Side question, nothing to do with this thread - I had work done in my place and the contractors somehow dinged up my speakers in a couple places (there was no reason to be anywhere near them) and now the...lack of stain I guess...in those places makes it very obvious - is there a way to fix the satin expresso finish up?

Quote Originally Posted by tme110 View Post
    Side question, nothing to do with this thread - I had work done in my place and the contractors somehow dinged up my speakers in a couple places (there was no reason to be anywhere near them) and now the...lack of stain I guess...in those places makes it very obvious - is there a way to fix the satin expresso finish up?
    Cabinet repair is quite difficult and typically ends up being more costly (due to labor) than just swapping a damaged cabinet with a new one.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Is there a document or page somewhere that lists all of the finish options for the Sierra 2s, their cost, and which ones are made in the US?

Is it possible to get the Sierra 2 with the dome tweeter from the Towers? Also is it possible to get inserts to screw the speakers to the Sanus stands?