Page 145 of 150 FirstFirst ... 140141142143144145146147148149150 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1493

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post
    I know the feeling all too well. Sadly, my set have seen more use in film/television than music as of late . However, musical scores come out beautifully (Mr. Robot's is solid). I'm actually in the market for a sub at the moment. What led you to the F8? I'm currently running an LV12R in my home-theater and have few complaints.
    I love my F8. I think it was Dave who turned me on to it. I know he runs 2 of them in his personal setup along with the towers. I really like the small footprint and the bass quality and detail is among the best I've ever heard, equal to or better than the JL F112 I used to have. The F8 probably has less maximum output than the JL, but it's more than loud enough for my needs.

Just received some B-stock Sierra-2s. First, YMMV, but I can't see a defect? First listen using Rythmik E15HP, crossed at 60Hz, excellent imaging, surprising mid-bass slam. Mids - I am still evaluating. Overall, seems a bit bright. Meaning that mid-highs (voices) seem a bit too much BUT!, I am used to dome fabric tweeters and this is a new room. In my other room, I have Linkwitz LX521. On the LX521, the mids seem too laid back, but the mid- and low bass are crazy good.
    I should need increased highs (54yr), so I will run REW and see how much the reverb in the room is affecting the sound...
    However, I am very happy so far!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    After several years of trying other speakers, I've finally made way back to Ascend. I was one of the very first people to purchase the Sierra 1 when they first came out. I was very happy with them, although after a couple years I felt the need for a little more detail in the highs. I ended up switching to some Salk bookshelf speakers which I've had now for a couple years (going to be selling soon). I also have some Martin Logan Frescos (planar magnetic speakers). The Frescos have very detailed highs and mids, but the bass is non-existent and the cabinet construction is pretty flimsy.

I don't know why I waited so long to try the Sierra 2, but I'm so glad I finally did. I auditioned the Sierra 2 along with the Raal towers at Ascend's showroom. The towers were awesome, but the Sierra 2 were not far behind at all. Since the towers are backordered and don't come in piano black, I decided to go with the Sierra 2.

Now that I have them home hooked up to my Onkyo SR805 along with my new Rythmik F8, I can't stop listening to music. As soon as I get home from work, the music is on till I go to sleep. Everything about the Sierra 2 is just amazing. The bass is solid, tight and textured, the highs have so much air and detail, yet smooth at the same time, and the mids are just right.

I do custom installation for audio/video equipment and I have access to many brands of speakers at wholesale prices including Klipsch, Martin Logan, JBL, Revel, etc... And even at my discounted prices there is nothing I would purchase over the Sierra 2.
    Can you compare the Sierra 2's sound with both the Salk and Martin Logan speakers? Which model were the Salks?

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    Can you compare the Sierra 2's sound with both the Salk and Martin Logan speakers? Which model were the Salks?
    The Salks are the Song Surround I, a very fine speaker. It's got a smooth, slightly warmer sound. The tweeter is quite detailed for a soft dome tweeter. The Sierra 2 beats the Song in pretty much every category IMO. The bass is deeper, and has more impact. I think this has to do with both the Curv woofer as well as the very solid bamboo cabinet. For high frequencies, I don't think any soft dome tweeter can compare to the RAAL. They're just so crystal clear. You can hear every fine little detail in the music, but they never sound harsh or fatiguing.

The Martin Logan Frescos have very clear midrange and high frequencies on axis thanks to the planar magnetic drivers. Because of they're slim design, however, the bass is pretty much non-existent and the cabinet is made out of a very thin composite material which vibrates like crazy. The off axis response of the tweeter is pretty poor as well. You can really hear a big difference in sound quality when you stand up and walk around the room. The Sierra 2, on the other hand, has excellent off axis response. I was really surprised when I got up and walked to the kitchen, just how clear the Sierra 2 still sounded.

So in summary, I'd say the Sierra 2 is a worthwhile upgrade from both of these speakers. I think they'll be staying with me for a very long time.

Spent lots of time yesterday optimizing the speaker placement and listening position. I realized several things. I was way out of the equilateral triangle (by several feet). One speaker was way too close to a wall. I put the oriental rug back in the room. Now we are talking Imaging was superb. I was most surprised by the mid-bass and mid range. Great speed and impact. The mids were just about perfect. Not too forward, not too laid back. Not overly lush, not too bright. Tonality, and airiness were spot on. Especially notable in female vocals where notes linger on their tongue. No extra sibiliance. Hmmm, I hate to admit, but besides for low bass slamm and ultimate high sound level dynamics, these clearly beat my LX521's on this type of music. The LX521's do still have an advantage on complex orchestral music.
    Listened to all of my favorite blues' singers. I had missed this level of intimacy. I swear that I can hear skin on strings with the slide guitar of Muddy Waters.

My wife and I spent the evening in bed reading, but kept putting the book down just to listen to the music. Luckily, she appreciates sound quality and thanked me (I am lucky!) for providing such good sounding tunes into the bedroom. I am tempted to go RAAL Towers for the main room...

Glad to hear that a few tweaks to the system made a difference for you. I had a similar experience with my system. I noticed that the imaging for vocals was slightly to the left of center. I couldn't figure out why. I kept checking the levels and they were correct. Then I got out my laser measure tool and it turns out that my right speaker was about 3 inches further away from me than the left. I moved the right speaker forward 3 inches and Bam, the imaging was dead center.

I'm loving the Sierra-2s so much, I just ordered another pair for my surrounds!

sorry if this is the wrong thread. I have the S-2's, horrizon and towers w/ RAAL. Very happy with them and my plan was to have this speakers for the next decade or so (and still will). But I just have this strange itch to just try something else. I've seen a few of the comparisons close to this come up but not the same - anyone ever compare the S-2 to the Harbeth 30.1? I've searched all over the net for someone talking about both speakers but it didn't come up.

Quote Originally Posted by tme110 View Post
    sorry if this is the wrong thread. I have the S-2's, horrizon and towers w/ RAAL. Very happy with them and my plan was to have this speakers for the next decade or so (and still will). But I just have this strange itch to just try something else. I've seen a few of the comparisons close to this come up but not the same - anyone ever compare the S-2 to the Harbeth 30.1? I've searched all over the net for someone talking about both speakers but it didn't come up.
    It's really rare to find the Sierra speakers compared to anything else. I think most people that buy them never upgrade. All I can say is that the Sierra speakers are going to be better speakers than almost anything below $5k since most other companies are spending half that cost on marketing and sales forces trying to push speakers that can't stack up to Dave's.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by tme110 View Post
    From a component standpoint, the Sierra-1 is the speaker I would put up against the 30.1 - and even at 1/6th price, I am confident the Sierra-1 would fair extremely well. The 30.1 is based on the Rogers LS5/9 and uses a mid-level SEAS soft dome tweeter. Assuming Harbeth was successful in reproducing the original response, it will have similar performance to our Sierra-1, although the Sierra-1 (even with a smaller cabinet) will have deeper bass...

I don't know of any soft dome tweeter at any price that can compare to a RAAL ribbon tweeter with regard to detail, timbre accuracy, smoothness and overall musicality.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com