Page 144 of 150 FirstFirst ... 139140141142143144145146147148149 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1493

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    What finish do you have? I am a fan of the natural finish as well - especially the US-Made natural finish cabinets.
    The Satin Espresso. Would love to get the cabinet redone in either black or natural..

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    The Satin Espresso. Would love to get the cabinet redone in either black or natural..
    Refinishing in black matte can be done, but refinishing in natural or black bamboo is not going to be cheap as the cabinets must be rubbed down with a solvent to remove the dyes (several times) and then sanded and refinished.

Email me and I can get some quotes for you.

Surprised that you don't like the espresso, that is the most popular finish.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Refinishing in black matte can be done, but refinishing in natural or black bamboo is not going to be cheap as the cabinets must be rubbed down with a solvent to remove the dyes (several times) and then sanded and refinished.

Email me and I can get some quotes for you.

Surprised that you don't like the espresso, that is the most popular finish.
    Dave. I love the espresso... I just like the natural better and black would match all the decor in the room. It really isn't to big a deal. It might be easier just buying another set. I will email you for more info. On a side note, I do need to buy some bookshelves for another room. It won't be the 2's however as it's just for a smaller AVR set up.

Why not just buy the cabinets you want alone (no components) and see if you could send the other set (satin expression) back?

Quote Originally Posted by dtsequoia View Post
    Why not just buy the cabinets you want alone (no components) and see if you could send the other set (satin expression) back?
    That's an idea... I wonder if it's an option. Thanks

First post here. Just wanted to share my experience thus far with my Sierra 2's that I received a couple of weeks ago.

Even though I have far more audio equipment than any one person should have, I decided to pull the trigger on these when I saw the B-stock were available for Black Friday. I really wanted to try the Raal after reading all the hype around it in DIY circles (and elsewhere). I ordered a pair in Natural, and they are very nice looking. I read a post from Dave where he stated most people who buy B-stock can't figure out why they are not A-stock, and I will confirm this. To me, they look flawless.

Right now I have these hooked up to a Bottlehead SET amp, pumping out a whopping 3.5 watts per channel. ;-) I am actually surprised how loud these get in my medium sized room on such modest power. I've also tried them on an old Rotel amp that is quite a beast. While they play louder on the Rotel, to my ears they sound far better with the tubes, though the bass does suffer a bit. I already have my sights set on the new BH monoblocks that I think will be a bit better of a match for the Sierra's.

I've got maybe 30-40 hours on them so far, and they already sound pretty spectacular. I have them in a spare, untreated room - hardwood floors, minimal window treatments, bare walls. Definitely not an ideal room, but they are still very euphonic. You can sit and listen to them forever and don't get a hint of fatigue - the Raal is just so smooth. They are certainly up there with the best monitors I've bought/built over the years. It'll be interesting to see how can sound in a proper room with some more watts behind them! I'll post more detailed listening impressions when I've got that straightened out.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Last edited by RMW; 12-09-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RMW View Post
    First post here. Just wanted to share my experience thus far with my Sierra 2's that I received a couple of weeks ago.

Even though I have far more audio equipment than any one person should have, I decided to pull the trigger on these when I saw the B-stock were available for Black Friday. I really wanted to try the Raal after reading all the hype around it in DIY circles (and elsewhere). I ordered a pair in Natural, and they are very nice looking. I read a post from Dave where he stated most people who buy B-stock can't figure out why they are not A-stock, and I will confirm this. To me, they look flawless.

Right now I have these hooked up to a Bottlehead SET amp, pumping out a whopping 3.5 watts per channel. ;-) I am actually surprised how loud these get in my medium sized room on such modest power. I've also tried them on an old Rotel amp that is quite a beast. While they play louder on the Rotel, to my ears they sound far better with the tubes, though the bass does suffer a bit. I already have my sights set on the new BH monoblocks that I think will be a bit better of a match for the Sierra's.

I've got maybe 30-40 hours on them so far, and they already sound pretty spectacular. I have them in a spare, untreated room - hardwood floors, minimal window treatments, bare walls. Definitely not an ideal room, but they are still very euphonic. You can sit and listen to them forever and don't get a hint of fatigue - the Raal is just so smooth. They are certainly up there with the best monitors I've bought/built over the years. It'll be interesting to see how can sound in a proper room with some more watts behind them! I'll post more detailed listening impressions when I've got that straightened out.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Thanks Ryan -- I am very pleased to hear that you are enjoying the Sierra-2!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert146 View Post
    All we need now are Kryptonite caps in the crossover.
    What a SUPER idea!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

After several years of trying other speakers, I've finally made way back to Ascend. I was one of the very first people to purchase the Sierra 1 when they first came out. I was very happy with them, although after a couple years I felt the need for a little more detail in the highs. I ended up switching to some Salk bookshelf speakers which I've had now for a couple years (going to be selling soon). I also have some Martin Logan Frescos (planar magnetic speakers). The Frescos have very detailed highs and mids, but the bass is non-existent and the cabinet construction is pretty flimsy.

I don't know why I waited so long to try the Sierra 2, but I'm so glad I finally did. I auditioned the Sierra 2 along with the Raal towers at Ascend's showroom. The towers were awesome, but the Sierra 2 were not far behind at all. Since the towers are backordered and don't come in piano black, I decided to go with the Sierra 2.

Now that I have them home hooked up to my Onkyo SR805 along with my new Rythmik F8, I can't stop listening to music. As soon as I get home from work, the music is on till I go to sleep. Everything about the Sierra 2 is just amazing. The bass is solid, tight and textured, the highs have so much air and detail, yet smooth at the same time, and the mids are just right.

I do custom installation for audio/video equipment and I have access to many brands of speakers at wholesale prices including Klipsch, Martin Logan, JBL, Revel, etc... And even at my discounted prices there is nothing I would purchase over the Sierra 2.
    Last edited by mikesiskav; 08-12-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post

Now that I have them home hooked up to my Onkyo SR805 along with my new Rythmik F8, I can't stop listening to music. As soon as I get home from work, the music is on till I go to sleep. Everything about the Sierra 2 is just amazing. The bass is solid, tight and textured, the highs have so much air and detail, yet smooth at the same time, and the mids are just right.
    I know the feeling all too well. Sadly, my set have seen more use in film/television than music as of late . However, musical scores come out beautifully (Mr. Robot's is solid). I'm actually in the market for a sub at the moment. What led you to the F8? I'm currently running an LV12R in my home-theater and have few complaints.