Page 143 of 150 FirstFirst ... 138139140141142143144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1493

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Both of these graphs indicate phenomenal time and phase coherency. In fact, if transient accuracy is important to you, it is nearly impossible to do better than the ribbons we use...
    While no one or two (or N) metrics tell the whole story, I learned that impulse response and (and cumulative spectral decay) are among the useful measurements. When I saw those of the Sierra 2 and Sierra Tower with RAAL, both of which I ended up buying, it was absolutely in a different class than everything else I had seen. It's like other nice speakers were sports cars and the RAAL was a space shuttle. Even the highest-end speakers can't campare (to these measurements, not necessarily in overall performance). Compare with measurements for the Magico Q7 MKII and Focal's Grand Utopia BE, then compare price. It's a fun exercise.
    Last edited by Sivar; 08-18-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Tight driver integration is extremely high priority for all our designs and the Sierra-2 make for wonderful nearfield desktop monitors. We have many customers doing using them for this purpose and I have a set that I use in my home office at about 18" distances.

The measurement page for the Sierra-2 shows both an ETC plot and a CSD plot. The ETC plot is basically the same measurement as an impulse response, just shown with a different scaling. The CSD plot also shows the information you are looking for, but with added information as it shows the transient accuracy at a particular frequency.

Both of these graphs indicate phenomenal time and phase coherency. In fact, if transient accuracy is important to you, it is nearly impossible to do better than the ribbons we use...

Dave, thanks for the quick and helpful reply! I had a hunch the existing measurement graphs had the info, just presented a bit differently. Also, thank you in general for all the candid answers to everyone else's questions throughout this thread, very informative. I'm an "armchair" DIY'er---no real technical expertise, but I like putting kit-type speakers and electronics together, and hopefully learn something along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    While no one or two (or N) metrics tell the whole story, I learned that impulse response and (and cumulative spectral decay) are among the useful measurements. When I saw those of the Sierra 2 and Sierra Tower with RAAL, both of which I ended up buying, it was absolutely in a different class than everything else I had seen. It's like other nice speakers were sports cars and the RAAL was a space shuttle. Even the highest-end speakers can't campare (to these measurements, not necessarily in overall performance). Compare with measurements for the Magico Q7 MKII and Focal's Grand Utopia BE, then compare price. It's a fun exercise.

Indeed, being a regular reader over at diyaudio.com, they are endlessly debating measurements versus subjective sound quality. I don't have enough experience to take a side in that argument, but given what I do know, the Sierra 2's measurements look crazy good! Likewise, there's no shortage of positive subjective impressions. I'm having trouble finding the warts.

Thanks again!

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

what is the distance from the ground to the tweeter center on S2s and Towers? AFAIK, the tweeters of rear and surround S2s shall be aligned to the ear level @ MLP, so I want to pick the right stand with the right height, please correct me if i'm wrong and let me know if you have this info..

Quote Originally Posted by andrey View Post
    what is the distance from the ground to the tweeter center on S2s and Towers? AFAIK, the tweeters of rear and surround S2s shall be aligned to the ear level @ MLP, so I want to pick the right stand with the right height, please correct me if i'm wrong and let me know if you have this info..
    The center of the Sierra-2 tweeter is 11.5" from the bottom of the cabinet.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

A week ago, I bought a pair of Sierra 2s. I'm blown away by the sound. So much, that I now want to go all in on Ascend, and buy the RAAL towers, instead. Unfortunately, I bought them through MassDrop, so they cannot be returned( (there's a lesson in that), and I don't have enough budget to keep both. I'm therefore thinking that I'll sell them. Can someone recommend a good place to do that, where people are familiar with Sierras?

Quote Originally Posted by jackgr@acm.org View Post
    A week ago, I bought a pair of Sierra 2s. I'm blown away by the sound. So much, that I now want to go all in on Ascend, and buy the RAAL towers, instead. Unfortunately, I bought them through MassDrop, so they cannot be returned( (there's a lesson in that), and I don't have enough budget to keep both. I'm therefore thinking that I'll sell them. Can someone recommend a good place to do that, where people are familiar with Sierras?
    Not so sure you should do this. I sold my 2's and purchased the RAAL towers. With the new Rymik dual 8 sub, you could fill the upper mid bass.
    I am thinking of selling my RAAL towers and buying the Sierra 2's again with a new sub.... I purchased the wrong color towers too is what is pushing me to do this.

Sold my bookshelves on the Audioholics sales forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Not so sure you should do this. I sold my 2's and purchased the RAAL towers. With the new Rymik dual 8 sub, you could fill the upper mid bass.
    But you would lose the midrange detail and transparency you get with the dedicated mid on the Towers.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    But you would lose the midrange detail and transparency you get with the dedicated mid on the Towers.
    Your right.. I for some reason absolutely loved the way my natural bamboo Sierra 2's looked on my speaker stands...
    Off topic.... Anyway to get the RAAL towers finish redone?

Quote Originally Posted by jackgr@acm.org View Post
    Hi Jack,

Happy to hear that you are enjoying the 2's! Yeah -- if you purchased from Massdrop, you are subject to their terms and I don't believe they offer returns or exchanges. They purchase a bulk quantity from us and our involvement typically ends at that point.

That said, send me an email or private message and we can discuss the possibility of a trade-up -- assuming you have kept the speakers in like-new condition. We have had many customers eventually upgrade from the 2's to the towers, definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Your right.. I for some reason absolutely loved the way my natural bamboo Sierra 2's looked on my speaker stands...
    Off topic.... Anyway to get the RAAL towers finish redone?
    What finish do you have? I am a fan of the natural finish as well - especially the US-Made natural finish cabinets.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com