Page 142 of 150 FirstFirst ... 137138139140141142143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1493

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

I keep working on ways to just suck it up and go for the Raal towers, but the wife won't let me touch the bank account, so it would mean parting with a rifle or two from my collection, but they sit in a safe all year whereas the speakers are used everyday. So I'm starting to convince myself ;-)

That said is there anything that negatively affects towers such as proximity to furniture or other objects in a room where I may have to dismiss them as a potential option? I have complete line of sight to the NrT speakers, but the towers would be hidden somewhat by my desk. I would not be able to see the bottom third of the towers. Not sure if this has an adverse effect on what I will hear. The left tower would have nothing in front of it, however the right tower would have a solid wooden printer cabinet 2.5 feet directly in front of it, I could toe it in a bit but my metal desk is there, roughly 4 feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by mcatucci View Post
    I keep working on ways to just suck it up and go for the Raal towers, but the wife won't let me touch the bank account, so it would mean parting with a rifle or two from my collection, but they sit in a safe all year whereas the speakers are used everyday. So I'm starting to convince myself ;-)

That said is there anything that negatively affects towers such as proximity to furniture or other objects in a room where I may have to dismiss them as a potential option? I have complete line of sight to the NrT speakers, but the towers would be hidden somewhat by my desk. I would not be able to see the bottom third of the towers. Not sure if this has an adverse effect on what I will hear. The left tower would have nothing in front of it, however the right tower would have a solid wooden printer cabinet 2.5 feet directly in front of it, I could toe it in a bit but my metal desk is there, roughly 4 feet away.
    My guess would be that you would be better off going with the Sierra-2 upgrade. You really want a direct line of sight to the drivers, plus that seems to be a little too close. Can you post a picture of your current setup?
    Nate

Don't mind the room. It is a work in progress and right now everyone is using to for wrapping gifts, etc . I hung the sound board up to see if it offered any improvement -it did. Now I have to cover them in fabric and finish them up nicer. I tried to give you all views...

1 resized.jpg
    2 redone.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    Could be. The Emotivas are not my reference - just the speakers the S2s replaced. My main system is very high performance, as are my headphones, and I try to compare to how real instruments sound. There is a lot to like about the S2s. At the moment, I am satisfied to 'fault' the installation. I would like to roll-off driving the very low end to give the woofers a break on full range material, though I doubt that is the cause of the tonal (im)balance. As I said, I should be able to tweak the balance with equalization, if necessary.
    Were you able to do EQ and solve the thinness? I am just curious. Thanks.

Dave,
    Any update on lead times for the B stock 2's? Order was placed middle of last week? Have not received UPS yet and I am anxious!

Thanks!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mcatucci View Post
    Dave,
    Any update on lead times for the B stock 2's? Order was placed middle of last week? Have not received UPS yet and I am anxious!

Thanks!
    Mike
    Thanks for your patience. I don't know where your order stands (best to call and speak with Dina), but we are making excellent progress at getting through a massive backorder. A few more days and we should be caught up.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Reviving and oldish thread, hope no one minds... I skimmed over this thread, but didn't see any info about the crossover design of the Sierra-2. For example, crossover frequency, kind of slopes used, etc. Just curious, though I understand this might be the kind of thing Dave doesn't want to share.

Another curiosity, if it's possible: do you happen to have impulse response and/or step response graphs for the Sierra-2? See Measuring Loudspeakers, Part Two (John Atkinson, Stereophile, Dec 14, 1998).

I've had my eye on these for a while now. The application would be nearfield desktop speakers. It's a 60-inch wide desk, and I sit about three to four feet from each speaker. I saw at least one other thread on this forum where someone asked about such an application for the Sierra-2, and the feedback was positive (sorry, don't have the link handy). I'm thinking that time and phase coherency are particularly important in a nearfield application like this, hence the questions about impulse and step response---which speak to driver integration. I'm currently using single full-range drivers (Markaudio Alpair 7.3) for this application, where one of the main advantages is that driver integration is a non-issue. And at least as far as what I've read on the Internet (caveat emptor!), ideal time and phase alignment leads to exceptional imaging.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteRooster View Post
    Reviving and oldish thread, hope no one minds... I skimmed over this thread, but didn't see any info about the crossover design of the Sierra-2. For example, crossover frequency, kind of slopes used, etc. Just curious, though I understand this might be the kind of thing Dave doesn't want to share.

Another curiosity, if it's possible: do you happen to have impulse response and/or step response graphs for the Sierra-2? See Measuring Loudspeakers, Part Two (John Atkinson, Stereophile, Dec 14, 1998).

I've had my eye on these for a while now. The application would be nearfield desktop speakers. It's a 60-inch wide desk, and I sit about three to four feet from each speaker. I saw at least one other thread on this forum where someone asked about such an application for the Sierra-2, and the feedback was positive (sorry, don't have the link handy). I'm thinking that time and phase coherency are particularly important in a nearfield application like this, hence the questions about impulse and step response---which speak to driver integration. I'm currently using single full-range drivers (Markaudio Alpair 7.3) for this application, where one of the main advantages is that driver integration is a non-issue. And at least as far as what I've read on the Internet (caveat emptor!), ideal time and phase alignment leads to exceptional imaging.

Thanks!
    Have you looked at the Measurements page of the Sierra-2 product pages in the loudspeakers section of the Ascend website? Not sure if the items you are asking about are included there or not. I am sure there are proprietary design parameters which Dave would not want to publish. I know that Ascend shut down for their annual summer holiday and I'm not sure when they will reopen, but it must be soon.

If you email Ascend with your questions they will get back to you, but I'm sure they have a few emails to get through once they are back in office.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteRooster View Post

Thanks!
    Hi CR,

Welcome to the forum! Tight driver integration is extremely high priority for all our designs and the Sierra-2 make for wonderful nearfield desktop monitors. We have many customers doing using them for this purpose and I have a set that I use in my home office at about 18" distances.

The measurement page for the Sierra-2 shows both an ETC plot and a CSD plot. The ETC plot is basically the same measurement as an impulse response, just shown with a different scaling. The CSD plot also shows the information you are looking for, but with added information as it shows the transient accuracy at a particular frequency.

Both of these graphs indicate phenomenal time and phase coherency. In fact, if transient accuracy is important to you, it is nearly impossible to do better than the ribbons we use...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com