Page 138 of 150 FirstFirst ... 133134135136137138139140141142143 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1493

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

FYI, in case this is not elsewhere in this thread, I understand that the port plugs for the Sierra 1 are not applicable to the Sierra 2.
    Last edited by jimb; 06-02-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    FYI, in case this is not elsewhere in this thread, I understand that the port plugs for the Sierra 1 are not applicable to the Sierra 2.
    The port plugs CAN be used with the Sierra-2's, but because of the Sierra-2's different bass response, they won't be needed in as many cases. It's still a matter of trying them out in your own room.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    The port plugs CAN be used with the Sierra-2's, but because of the Sierra-2's different bass response, they won't be needed in as many cases. It's still a matter of trying them out in your own room.
    Can you say a little more about the expected benefits? When they would be appropriate? From a message I passed to Dave (and reply passed back to me), it seemed he did not recommend them for use when placing the S2s in a cabinet or near a wall. I want to order soon!

Can you say a little more about the expected benefits? When they would be appropriate? From a message I passed to Dave (and reply passed back to me), it seemed he did not recommend them for use when placing the S2s in a cabinet or near a wall. I want to order soon!
    If Dave didn't recommend them for your situation, then that's probably what I'd go with. The plugs will reduce some of the bass produced by the speaker. Ideally you could use a measurement mike and room software analyses to see what setup gives the flattest response. Or, just order the Sierra-2's and see how they sound. If you like what you hear than don't worry bout it.
    Nate

If memories serves, i think i have read where Dave does not recommemd the port plugs regarless of FR or placement.
    The close port plugs, will put the cabinets closely acting like a sealed enclosure, and when a driver is desinged for port and converted to sealed, the drivers may be in a very low Q damping enclosure which can result bottomming out. If not, the drivers will either have a very high roll off, which will probably is too high to be used with the port pluged in.

On the sierrra 1, the port can be pluged in to help reduces boundaries reinforcement from the port created from beeing the speakers too close to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    If memories serves, i think i have read where Dave does not recommemd the port plugs regarless of FR or placement.
    Thanks. I have now ordered my L&R pair (US Satin Expresso), but will not see and hear them until the end of June.

Not much activity in this thread right now. I assume everyone is still happy and amazed by their S2's. I have a pair on order, along with a Horizon center with RAAL and a set of Towers with RAAL. Parts for the S2's, according to Dina, are or were backordered until the end of June. Hopefully anytime now (HINT, HINT), the S2's and the Horizion will ship. The cabinets for the Towers are on backorder until mid July. So I am hoping to evaluate the S2's as FL/FR with the Horizon for a week or two before I get the Towers. At which time the S2's will become my surrounds.

Anyway, happy 4th!!!!

I am super happy with mine but something wan't right for me. Something was missing. I am using them with a Rythmik sub. I ended up really wanting to get the RAAL towers but just couldn't come up with that much money. I got a set of new RBH Sound SX-6300/R towers for a super deal. Did a bunch of A/B testing. For me it was the mids or upper bass that was missing. I guess I am just a tower person. I would still like to order the RAAL towers once I get the funds. I think the Ascends with ribbon are fantastic. I am about to put my Sierra 2's and Marantz gear up for sale to help get the Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    I am super happy with mine but something wan't right for me. Something was missing. I am using them with a Rythmik sub. I ended up really wanting to get the RAAL towers but just couldn't come up with that much money. I got a set of new RBH Sound SX-6300/R towers for a super deal. Did a bunch of A/B testing. For me it was the mids or upper bass that was missing. I guess I am just a tower person. I would still like to order the RAAL towers once I get the funds. I think the Ascends with ribbon are fantastic. I am about to put my Sierra 2's and Marantz gear up for sale to help get the Towers.
    You might want to call Dave or Dina and ask about what they will do for you on a trade to upgrade to the RAAL Towers.

I received mine a little earlier than expected (Thanks!). Actually, I too experience a "thin-ness" relative to expectations.

I bought them as bookshelf monitors, to be in bookshelves, flanking my TV, which is how I have them installed. They are "thin" (lacking "body") relative to what they replaced (Emotiva ERM-1) and compared to my main sound rig. However, I have not been able to give them a really serious, critical evaluation - one where pull them out into the room, on stands, with my best DAC and amp. Until I do that, I can't really say there is anything wrong with them.

For now, I am continuing to listen to them. They certainly provide the clarity and off-axis response I sought! I do value that. And they do have nice low bass for their size. If I ever arrange an appropriate critical listening session, I'll report back. My current feeling is that I can probably equalize them to be more satisfying someday, but I cannot equalize the dispersion and sound quality of a lesser speaker, so I am likely to stick with these as good long-term companions.
    Last edited by jimb; 07-02-2014 at 01:05 PM.