Page 115 of 150 FirstFirst ... 110111112113114115116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1493

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Has anyone's tracking info with UPS updated? I've checked a million times (unfortunately not way off from reality :/) and it just says 'a label has been created...' I know UPS is behind as well because of the holiday rush, so maybe that's why.
    Nothing here yet. Status remains at "shipping label has been created." I figure it's due to the overworked Ascend staff as well as the holidays.

Or maybe they all just took our money and ran to Mexico for a much deserved vacation!!! Cozumel here we come!

Yes, the above was only a joke--tongue planted firmly in cheek. What's not a joke, however, is that the Ascend staff NEED a vacation!!
    -Jacob

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

So while we're all popping anxiety pills and managing our frail patience , what's the first album or song you will fire up on your new Sierra-2 speakers?

The first song I'll play is "Virtue" from Jesse Cook's Free Fall album. Then, I'll skip around to other favorite tracks on that disc. After that, I'll throw all my other favorite stuff at the Sierra-2 and see how many times my jaw hits the floor.

Since I went the DIY route, I'd like to do an informal side-by-side comparison between my standard Sierra-1 and the Sierra-2:

Step 1 - Complete the upgrade on ONE speaker.
    Step 2 - Place the standard and upgraded speakers close together, maybe an inch apart.
    Step 3 - Configure my digital music playback software to output an identical mono signal for left & right channels.
    Step 4 - Use the channel balance control to quickly pan fully left or fully right.
    Step 5 - Dislocate my jaw and drool excessively while switching back and forth between the Sierra-1 & Sierra-2 speakers.
    Step 6 - Wake up on the floor 2 hours later from having passed out.
    Step 7 - Repeat Steps 5 & 6 as many times as necessary.

I know this procedure isn't perfect and I cannot setup a reliable blind test for several reasons. If you guys can suggest something better, I'm all ears. All I really want is to get an idea of the differences between the two models. Using a mono signal to each will keep things similar. Truth be told, I probably won't spend more than 30 minutes doing this, because I'll be too excited to upgrade the second speaker and listen to them both properly placed.

Along with Jesse Cook (I just bought 3 more albums with some Amazon gift cards), I'll be playing some David Helpling/Jon Jenkins, Kelly Sweet, Darshan Ambient, Patricia Barber, and Howard Shore. Then we'll try some rocking out: Before the Dawn, Metallica, Nightwish, and Within Temptation. Can't wait!

After the inevitable goosebumps, lifting veils, mile-wide soundstages, and picking out thousands of musical details that never existed before the dawn of mankind, I'll pick up my phone and give Dave a call. I'll take up his ENTIRE lunch break while I wax on/wax off poetically about the virtues of the new Sierra-2. After he's had enough of my incessant gushing, I'll apologize profusely for wasting his lunch break, after which I will order Olive Garden for all the Ascend staff and have it delivered to their secret bunker.

Disclaimer: While I am very excited to hear the new product, I actually can be objective and leave preconceived notions at the door. I'll just listen without expectations.

For all of those who think I'm off my rocker, well, I won't argue with you.
    -Jacob

Default Arrived

Arrived and listening... Just unpacked and warming them up... Let me try to add pictures
    Last edited by pmctexas; 12-27-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Default Re: Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by pmctexas View Post
    Arrived and listening... Just unpacked and warming them up... Let me try to add pictures
    Outstanding! Congrats to you.
    -Jacob

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

I cheated, I picked mine up on the 24th. I've been listening to them. Absolutely love them over the NRTs I had. Hope you all receive yours soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by pmctexas View Post
    What comes after Boxing Day? Unboxing day, of course! Congrats on being the first to report the unboxing and playing of the Sierra 2's!

Mark

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

what improvements did you notice over Nrt right off the bat?

Quote Originally Posted by rguinoo12 View Post
    I cheated, I picked mine up on the 24th. I've been listening to them. Absolutely love them over the NRTs I had. Hope you all receive yours soon!!
    Hey! That's not fair that you live within driving distance of Ascend and got them before everyone else.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them so far. I'd be interested (like Sam1000) as to what improvements you're hearing over the NrT tweeter and standard woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    What comes after Boxing Day? Unboxing day, of course!
    Hahaha! Good one, Mark.
    -Jacob

Holy moly, these speakers are amazing. These speakers are the best I have ever heard. So Right now I have the discontinued Boston vs260's and matching center which to my ears edged, the sierra-1. But to me the only thing those speakers were lacking, is the forwardness that make music sound like you are right their. So I decided to try the sierra-2.
    The negitives of The sierra -1 to me!!! is it was very fatiguing to my ears in the upper end at higher volumes and bass felt over pronounced, like it was making up for the fact it was book shelf speaker, they still sound amazing and well worth there cost and then some, don't get me wrong. If people were worried about losing any bass / low end with the2's don't be, these fill my whole condo with beautiful sound and can feel them upstairs. about 1200 sqft.

These sierra-2s are so detailed and crisp but very open/airy and smooth, its very hard to describe actaully but its hard to get a speaker with these traits. ( not using proper terminology so forgive me). Everything I didn't like about the sierra-1 were fixed /upgraded with this speaker. The rock, jazz and country I have heard sound great and I now feel like I'm right there, and I can hear the separation of all the instruments being played with out fatigue, and with hip hop/r&b the snaps/highs are so crisp and tight and the bass sounds smooth and full. The only PROBLEM now is I can hear how bad a lot of my recordings are.

I don't have the sierra-1, but my bud does and we listen to them all the time so I have a great idea how they sound. This is only a mini review and just got the speakers today, So I'm sure they need to open up some more as do most speakers.

20131227_203632.jpg

My daily check of UPS has the upgrades in Memphis and scheduled for delivery Monday. Hot damn. I have about 60 SACDs and DVD-As - Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd may have to be first up. Time to rediscover some music and my favorite movies.

Anyone put a timer on how long the DIY takes? Thanks for sharing impressions - lucky ones.