Page 111 of 150 FirstFirst ... 106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1493

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-2, the Woofer!

Shipping tomorrow! That's exciting! Should be a busy and big day for you guys tomorrow, with all that went into this project, I'm betting this feels good to have it done, finished and shipping! Look forward to the upgrade!

I also like the spacing between the binding post, I didn't even know this was an issue with some?

The spacing has never been an issue for me. Unless you are fixated on using dual banana plugs with set spacing for some reason there should be no issue.

Let the shipping begin!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I apologize for the delay on this question. I had to do some testing... Q-Plugs work fine with the Sierra-2, however -- since the bass response of the Sierra-2 is different -- in general, the use of Q-Plugs with Sierra-2 will be less likely. For those who have Q-Plugs, I suggest experimenting.
    Dave - I purchased and have used the Q plugs based on recommendation of using them if the speaker is placed close to a wall, etc. So the upgrade eliminates that need now? Given the design of my room (aka wife) the speakers sit on a self slightly above ear level and a few inches from a wall. Great news about some orders going out tomorrow. Thanks for your continue efforts to bring us great sound at great prices.

Here is another vote in favor of binding posts placed farther apart than "standard". This leaves ample space for your fingers. Also, the principle of leaving enough wood in between the posts for the sake structural integrity is another testimony to Ascend's commitment to higher manufacturing standards.

Yup...I just call it nitpicking....binding post...magnetic grills...etc...
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

I can understand the folks who want magnetic grills. It's a small detail, but if you like to use your speakers without the grills in place, there's certainly something aesthetically pleasing about a perfectly smooth front face with no grill pin holes in it. I get that.

But with a solid wood cabinet that doesn't have any veneer on it, it would be a huge challenge. I mean, one option is to simply have the magnets be visible, or to paint the magnets. That won't create a flawless look, but if it's more that the holes bother you rather than a few little circles that don't have the exact same wood grain and colour, I don't see a large hurdle in putting magnets where the grill pin holes would go anyway. For the black finishes, simply painting the magnets would hide them pretty darn well, I'd imagine. Again, not flawless like a veneer covering, but I could envision it as a pretty good middle ground for that aesthetically-concerned customer

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_teller View Post

But with a solid wood cabinet that doesn't have any veneer on it, it would be a huge challenge. I mean, one option is to simply have the magnets be visible, or to paint the magnets. That won't create a flawless look, but if it's more that the holes bother you rather than a few little circles that don't have the exact same wood grain and colour, I don't see a large hurdle in putting magnets where the grill pin holes would go anyway. For the black finishes, simply painting the magnets would hide them pretty darn well, I'd imagine. Again, not flawless like a veneer covering, but I could envision it as a pretty good middle ground for that aesthetically-concerned customer
    Why would you install magnets in the front? Painting them would be just an invitation to later problems
    when paint starts peeling off or gets scratched.

One of the options would be to install magnets from the inside of the front panel. You take a front panel and drill holes in its back. They go almost "through" the panel but leave a small amount of wood
    in the front. The challenge would be to keep precise drilling depth. All bamboo sheets have some thickness variation, so each time the depth would have to be adjusted - just a perfect job for CNC cutting machine. Strong enough magnets should be able to work through the thin layer of wood.

I assume, it would just add substantial cost to the final product, since CDC machines are not cheap. If this was done manually, it would take quite more time to assemble the cabinet too.

Quote Originally Posted by rkoaudio View Post
    Why would you install magnets in the front? Painting them would be just an invitation to later problems

One of the options would be to install magnets from the inside of the front panel. You take a front panel and drill holes in its back. They go almost "through" the panel but leave a small amount of wood
    in the front. The challenge would be to keep precise drilling depth. All bamboo sheets have some thickness variation, so each time the depth would have to be adjusted - just a perfect job for CNC cutting machine. Strong enough magnets should be able to work through the thin layer of wood.

I assume, it would just add substantial cost to the final product, since CDC machines are not cheap. If this was done manually, it would take quite more time to assemble the cabinet too.
    Dave covered this two years ago:

" ... I wish it were as simple as that. Going from behind, we would be forced to create a rather deep socket in which to insert the magnet and this would definitely affect the structural integrity of the cabinet. Bamboo is quite different from MDF and it is very possible we could hit a knot or hit the grain a bit differently and in doing so, cause serious damage to the cabinet.

Honestly, it is just not worth it. If MDF, certainly not a problem."

Quote Originally Posted by rkoaudio View Post

I recently purchased a wall stud finder that uses rare earth magnet and was surprised it can hold on to nails through drywall.

I think it's a good idea to make install the magnets from the inside with shallow socket so not affect the bamboo integrity. Then use rare earth magnets on the grille so it has strong pull. I know this will add to more cost but be willing to make the investment since we plan on keeping the speakers for a long time. Just an idea.