Page 11 of 150 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    If I remember correctly, Elmo, Ascend has a very generous upgrade policy for Ascend speaker owners. I think he said this upgrade could be made for current Sierra 1/NrT owners, too.

Of course, you could just go for the towers which may never be improved upon.

Just a thought.

Sheep
    Dave did mention the upgrade will be available for us current Sierra-1 NrT, and NON-NrT owners, in post #94.

I am waiting for new info on this and check here regularly. Dave said he has a lot of finishing up to do on the details, so don't expect any real details in the near future. I would feel safe in ordering the Sierra-1's now if you want to enjoy them, rather than make yourself wait, knowing that whatever Dave is cooking up will be available as either a factory upgrade, or as DIY down the road.

As for the towers, Dave is always exploring ways to improve his speakers, so don't think for a minute he is "content" with his flagship!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    ive been considering buying your speakers for a long time but now i might wait even longer gahhhhh
    Hi Elmo,

Since you're posting in this thread, I figure you have more interest in the Sierra-1 monitors rather than Ascend's other products. As Sheep and Mag offered, the upgrade will apply for any current Sierra-1 owners. This means that you can buy now, enjoy, and then upgrade later if you want every last bit of performance.

Dave estimates this upgrade to be available within a year or so. If you're in no rush to purchase, then by all means, wait it out. However, if you're itching to try out the Ascends, I suggest purchasing a Sierra-1 pair now. If you decide to spring for the upgrade later, the financial investment will be spread out. You won't have to pay the full price for the Sierra-2 (tentative product identifier) all up front. The current Sierra-1 is quite remarkable.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    As for the towers, Dave is always exploring ways to improve his speakers, so don't think for a minute he is "content" with his flagship!
    Blasphemy! The Towers embody perfection in every way, so how can one improve on perfection?

Actually, I'm more serious than facetious here. This is one reason I love Ascend: the passion for "Reaching the Peak of Audio Purity" is more than just a motto.
    -Jacob

I ve been reading this post and my thoughts about next phase sierra1 and nrt would be a new woofer. A Raal upgrade doesnt really make much sense to me mainly due to the price though. I personally think the standard tweeter are great, they will let you listen to music for a long time without fatigue. Also, it doesnt make sense for those who upgraded to nrt from the standard sierra to upgrade the tweeter again. I think Dave might be focusing on the midrange this time. Since this a bookshelf, it is perfectly ok to loose a few HZ down low and focus purely on midrange with a better construction. Low end could be adressed by sub.

Just my thought.
    Last edited by RicardoJoa; 07-31-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Well, whatever it is I wish Dave could post more details about it

Anything......tease us Dave!!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

OK, after some more thought about this upgrade, I am going to go out on a limb here and hazard another guess.

Seeing how this will be applicable to current Sierra-1 & NrT owners, as well as being available for direct purchase as the "Sierra-2", I am now beginning to think of this as a mini-tower, using the same drivers as the Sierra-1 & NrT but with a new, floorstanding cabinet which would extend the low frequency response as well as allowing the woofer, via the larger cabinet taking on more of the low end, to better handle the mids. Efficiency would most likely increase as well.

So how about it everyone......am I on to something?
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

I think the idea about upgrade sierra 1 and nrt, is that the current owners could enjoy without buying a whole new speaker. Dave had mentioned that the upgrade would be more expensive then the upgrade to the nrt.
    If it is goint to be a raal tweetet upgrade, whats is the probability that people are willing to pay at least 700 or even more. What would be the probability that people are going to modify the internal cuout to fit the raal transformer plus changing the crossover? if is not a driver change, could it be possible to add a dedicated midrange cabinet on top of the sierra? i dont think this would yield a good setup. I still think a woofer change could be possible , with similar design as the midrange in the tower but are able to handle lower frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Well, whatever it is I wish Dave could post more details about it

Anything......tease us Dave!!
    Hi Guys,

So sorry about the delay. I really wish I could post more details but nothing is 100% just yet. These are fully customized components for us and I am not comfortable posting public details until I have approved final samples and the parts are in production.

With regard to a timeline, I hope to be able to approve final samples within 2-months. From there I would estimate 3-4 months for production and delivery.

Great things coming... I promise
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the update!

No worries, I think we all understand the prudence required at this phase in the project. Sometimes the close-knit community approach we have here makes it difficult to remember that you're still running a specialized business. It's just that we know something wonderful is in the pipeline.

Thanks for taking the time to post a little update for us. It is appreciated.
    -Jacob

I know we are all anxious but good stuff usually needs time.

Dave, don't sweat it. I know when the time is right you will give us the goods!

Sounds like early Spring to me?!!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6