Page 3 of 150 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Hello From New Hampshire

I’m a newbie to the forum. I don't know if this can be done, however a possible idea to keep everyone happy would be to have a crossover change switch on the back of speaker. This would have a selectable option for a crossover change that would allow less bottom & more middle for those that want it. It would also require a new circuit board.
    hey Chops...

It isn't about less bottom vs more middle(more detailed middle). With a switch, you still need a driver that can do both, rather than design a specific (better) driver for a narrower application.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Now wait just a minute!! Brandon, Dave made the Towers specifically for YOU, so being the one whom started this here thread, the prototype should be sent to ME!!
    I'll see what I can do

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    I'll see what I can do
    After giving this some more thought, maybe you would be the best candidate to send the test units to. Afterall, you have the RAAL towers and have more time with them than anyone else aside from Dave himself!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

After giving this some more thought, maybe you would be the best candidate to send the test units to. Afterall, you have the RAAL towers and have more time with them than anyone else aside from Dave himself!
    After I get to hear them at Dave's shop!!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Oh sure, RUB IT IN!! We can't help that you live so close and we have to rely on UPS/FedEX.

BTW Curtis, I saw a post somewhere where you mentioned some music tracks you now use as your standard speaker test/demo material, but I can't seem to find it again? I think you got the suggestions from Dave.

Any idea? Thanks!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

BTW Curtis, I saw a post somewhere where you mentioned some music tracks you now use as your standard speaker test/demo material, but I can't seem to find it again? I think you got the suggestions from Dave.

Any idea? Thanks!
    Oh...Dean Peer and Ray Montford. They have been part of my list for a long time...I gave them to Dave.
    -curtis

I don't think I would spend that much for bookshelves. But I would pay half that for a Center RAAL speaker with similar dimensions to the Sierra. I can't fit a STC Horizon, but I really want a center with a RAAL speaker.

But in either case, I feel it would be a niche market, as others have suggested. Not sure if there would be mass appeal. If I didn't already have RAAL towers and were in the market. I would opt to pay the 15% more for NrT Towers over a RAAL bookshelf.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I agree. Brandon is arguably one of the best candidates for "beta testing" since he's heard the NrT Sierra-1, NrT Towers, and now owns RAAL Towers. He's got history.

Of course, I think some of us (myself included) are a wee bit jealous of Curtis's proximity to Ascend. I am definitely interested in his thoughts if Dave opens the floor to demos.

Quote Originally Posted by logicology View Post
    I don't think I would spend that much for bookshelves. But I would pay half that for a Center RAAL speaker with similar dimensions to the Sierra. I can't fit a STC Horizon, but I really want a center with a RAAL speaker.

But in either case, I feel it would be a niche market, as others have suggested. Not sure if there would be mass appeal. If I didn't already have RAAL towers and were in the market. I would opt to pay the 15% more for NrT Towers over a RAAL bookshelf.
    A Sierra-1 sized center channel with the 70-20XR is a good idea! I've read posts here and at AVS about folks who cannot fit an STC into their setup. This would be a great option for those who want ribbon sweetness, but cannot fit (or afford) the full STC. Actually, this option might end up more popular than the L/R ribbon bookshelves.

Let me say this: I spent the weekend with my new STC (ribbon version) and came away impressed. I have a mini review and pics forthcoming, but after hearing the RAAL I remain very interested in a bookshelf version.

Let me spell it out: yes, I would be willing to shell out $1,800 for a pair of RAAL bookshelves. It's unfortunate that I don't see Towers in my future due to space constraints.

I would also be interested in reviewing a pair of said bookshelves if Dave finds me worthy.
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 04-23-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: typo
    -Jacob

Wow, all of this talk of a RAAL version of the Sierra-1 has taken over the thread! I started this thread based on the possiblility of a woofer/crossover upgrade to maybe improve on the mids of the Sierra-1 NrT, as a more cost effective step over the cost of the towers. If there is not a significant cost advantage over the cost of the NrT towers then I would just set my sights on those as space is not an issue here.

Do continue with the RAAL talk though, as it seems Dave has been thinking of doing that.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    I agree. Brandon is arguably one of the best candidates for "beta testing" since he's heard the NrT Sierra-1, NrT Towers, and now owns RAAL Towers. He's got history.
    ^^^^^ I am going to have to agree with you here^^^^^^^^