Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the audio world... considering moving from ELAC uni fi to ascend

Default New to the audio world... considering moving from ELAC uni fi to ascend

Hi all,

Im reaching out (after browsing these forums for awhile) because Im unhappy with my current setup and considering a speaker from the ascend sierra lineup as a replacement.

I have Elac UF5's: the Elac Uni-fi towers, and a denon x1300w reciever powering them.

They do some things very well- they sound really musical and full- but there is something definitely missing. They sound too smoothed out, like a lot of the natural brittleness and texture of acoustic guitar plucking have been filtered out. When watching movies, they never fully excite at those climactic moments where the music swells and things are dialed up to 11.

I am going through a process of demoing speakers right now and I really, really want to try the Sierra 2EX or Sierra towers... but its expensive to demo them over here on the east coast if I decide I need to return them, so I'd like to ask you guys for your take before I take that plunge.

I currently have a pair of Martin Logan 35 XTI bookshelves on demo. They are a night and day improvement in the "exciting" category, and they reintroduce that texture I was looking for. However they sound thin- a bit tinny- and far less musical than the UF5. I could imagine this is a function of being bookshelves vs towers but they are paired with a SVS PB1000 sub.

Im looking to blend the best of both of those- and also improve on the clarity of the top end. I'd like a speaker that sizzles on the top end with a very musical body.

I hear a lot of people refer to the sierra lineup with RAAL as having "sparkle" and "air" on the top end. Its hard to know what that means over the internet. Is this that excitement, texture, and bite Im looking for? If so, do they retain a musical sound?

For reference, these are the speakers Ive tried in the past:

Klipsch R15 (I think...): these werent musical, had mediocre presence, and were shrill to listen to.

ELAC UF5: Very musical, good bass/body/full sound, but lack grit and excitement at the top

Martin Logan 35XTI: Finally scratches the excitement/texture itch! But theres also some lost detail and the mids/lows seemed thin. Sort of tinny sounding in comparison to the ELACs.

Will the ascend Sierras or towers give me the best of both worlds? The MLs use a ribbon tweeter, so Im hoping the RAAL also scratches the itch but can be better everywhere else.

Speakers that are about to arrive:

Klipsch RP8000F towers
    B&W 706s2
    Focal Aria 906 and 926

Thanks all!

Default Re: New to the audio world... considering moving from ELAC uni fi to ascend

I had a similar experience a few years ago. I had at the time Sierra-1's which I really liked but helped a friend pick out a pair of Martin Logan's with a similar tweeter to the one's you have. (Not a true 'ribbon' btw) I didn't care for the rest of the sound that much but I wanted that sparkle and presence at the high end. Eventually, Ascend and Raal developed the smaller tweeter as part of the Sierra-2 and I have been very happy. It'll have the airiness you want without being harsh or tiring. If the towers with Raal are in your budget than I'd suggest ordering them while you have the others to compare. I'd be surprised if you didn't like them the best. Have fun!
    Nate

Default Re: New to the audio world... considering moving from ELAC uni fi to ascend

Agree with Nate with 1 exception...

I'd order the Sierra-2EX's rather than the towers. They will give you nearly the identical sound as the towers but will save considerably on shipping if you decide to return them. If you do like them best and have the budget for the towers you can still return the EX's at a much lower shipping cost($80 round trip) vs the towers($272$ round trip), then order the towers!
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 03-12-2020 at 06:38 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Tell us where you live. There might be one of us nearby who'd be willing to demo their Ascend setup.

Thanks for the replies! I’m in the Washington DC area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Agree with Nate with 1 exception...

I'd order the Sierra-2EX's rather than the towers. They will give you nearly the identical sound as the towers but will save considerably on shipping if you decide to return them. If you do like them best and have the budget for the towers you can still return the EX's at a much lower shipping cost($80 round trip) vs the towers($272$ round trip), then order the towers!
    To say that bookshelves sound almost identical to the towers is an incredibly strong endorsement!

I have a relatively small room, but I was interested in the towers for the potential midrange performance in particular. I’ve heard that guitar and male vocals sit in the upper midrange, which is where I think some of the Martin Logan’s presence might(??) be coming from. So if the 2EX could approach the tower I’d be very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjt8 View Post
    To say that bookshelves sound almost identical to the towers is an incredibly strong endorsement!

I have a relatively small room, but I was interested in the towers for the potential midrange performance in particular. I’ve heard that guitar and male vocals sit in the upper midrange, which is where I think some of the Martin Logan’s presence might(??) be coming from. So if the 2EX could approach the tower I’d be very interested.
    Keep in mind.... I've never heard the towers. However, from those who have heard both they report that they are more similar than not. The towers will have the advantage in absolute terms, higher sensitivity, greater dynamics, better mid-range due to the dedicated mid driver. The 2EX's will give you most of the tower flavor, so if you like those than you will most certainly like the towers.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

So I just tried out the Klipsch rp8000f. I didn’t care for them at all. The treble is definitely kind of shrill. The “s” sound in vocals was magnified and they sounded very metallic to my ears. I don’t think I’m a fan of horns.

The RAAL ribbon is in another league in the world of tweeters. The best I've owned.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Quote Originally Posted by Mjt8 View Post
    So I just tried out the Klipsch rp8000f. I didn’t care for them at all. The treble is definitely kind of shrill. The “s” sound in vocals was magnified and they sounded very metallic to my ears. I don’t think I’m a fan of horns.
    Especially a horn combined with the metal (titanium) tweeter. Never heard a Klipsch that I liked although they have their fans.

You're gonna absolutely love the Ascends.