Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    I have not yet heard the NrT in person although I've done extensive research on it. I decided to wait on upgrading my Sierra-1s for two reasons:

1) I really needed to replace other equipment in the signal chain

2) The Sierras already sound very darn good

I would eventually upgrade (probably next year), but now I will hold off to see what Dave has cooking. I have a Horizon with RAAL tweeter. When I was planning the center channel upgrade, I originally settled on the NrT. Dave's measurements and feedback on the RAAL's incredible performance caused me to seriously consider the ribbon upgrade. I'm glad I did, it's really quite special.
    Your amp I'm guessing? Amps don't make a huge difference in my experience... The NrT upgrade is exponentially more significant than having a non-overdriven decent amp and replacing it with an expensive one. Speakers basically make all of the difference.

But yeah now since a new upgrade was announced, might be a good idea to hold off on an NrT upgrade... (maybe Dave can weigh in on the matter to see if this is indeed the case? I'm guessing probably...)

True, one could use a different midrange transducer. Perhaps SEAS or another OEM just finished baking a brand new midrange woofer with the exact sensitivity Dave needs for a 3-way Sierra-1.
    I guess developing or modifying an existing woofer would be viable for for a minimum number of orders... As the NrT tweeter was used for the Sierra NrT upgrade and the towers, it makes more sense than a maybe very limited of custom midrange driver for a Sierra-1 upgrade... Costs add up especially with the cabinet, so maybe finding an existing mid (and maybe modifying slightly?) might be the solution...

To be honest, I'm kinda out of ideas, so I probably won't say too much more...that is until Dave gives us another bone to chew on.

Fact is, there are only a few possibilities since this is a DIY upgrade. It has to be reasonably simple (for customers), but offer "significant" improvements. If you're right GirgleMirt, I'm sure there will be a lot of happy customers. I just haven't decided to toss the proverbial coin yet...

Heads: new tweeter/crossover
    Tails: "SE" type upgrade
    Edge of coin: mid-range upgrade
    hehe SE for woofer might be tempting too... Not sure how doable/practical it would be, or the performance gain... But I think most modifications would require crossover modification, which would mean a crossover for the regular Sierra and one for the NrT... The mid cabinet too I would guess for the original Sierra, but at that point, a NrT upgrade might be necessary, so maybe would be the same for this 'SE' woofer upgrade...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 07-15-2012 at 07:20 AM.