Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
Ok -- as promised

Please see the attached document.

Happy Monday!

Dave,

Thank you for posting this update and providing the detailed info. You made a lot of people very happy tonight.

I went for a 30-minute walk shortly after posting my recent comments. During my exercise, I thought about everything we've learned up until now, along with the new price information in the PDF document. I've made my decision on the complete loudspeaker vs upgrade kit: For several reasons, I will be pre-ordering the upgrade kit as soon as it's available.

I really love my Sierra-1 monitors (still rocking with the original tweeter) and I considered purchasing a complete pair of Sierra-2 so that I could reuse the Sierra-1 elsewhere. However, the Sierra-1 pair would replace my CBM-170 SE in the bedroom, and I don't have anywhere else to put the 170s right now. The 170s would be gathering dust for a while and I can't bear the thought of that. Plus I am trying to keep my stash of extra audio equipment to a minimum.

I also want to take advantage of all the time and effort Dave spent tooling the components for a perfect drop-in replacement. This "feature" has been a selling point for me since Day #1 and has held my interest in the Sierra-2 upgrade. So I'm going to stick with my original plan and order the upgrade kit.

Regarding the price, I'm honestly shocked that the upgrade kit doesn't cost more. I guessed $1,548 for a complete loudspeaker pair, which means I overshot by $100 (not too bad, although others guessed better). However, I overshot the upgrade kit price by $272! I really cannot believe that two custom woofer systems, two custom RAAL ribbons, and two advanced crossovers weigh in at well under $800. I just cannot believe it.

Anyway, I won't harp on about this. I'm done. Dave is selling these for what he feels is reasonable. The next phase of this journey is learning all about the new Sierra-2 reference monitor. That's gonna be the fun part.

So, I have armed myself with plenty of replacement socks, because I know the Sierra-2 is gonna blow my socks off!!