Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

First off, props to Dave for considering and actually working on suggestions from customers.

In my opinion, the towers are a no-brainer with either the NrT or RAAL option. You get the luscious mids and highs in an optimal 3-way design.

However, there are customers who cannot fit a tower into their listening environment. I am one of those customers. A Sierra-1 with RAAL would cater to a niche group including, but not limited to:

- those with no space for full towers
    - those who prefer two-way bookshelf designs
    - those who prefer high-quality sound in a discrete enclosure

However, I think the lack of upgrade path from Sierra-1 to Sierra/RAAL may cause some folks to back down because of the additional investment. I figured it would be extremely difficult to retool an existing S-1 cabinet for a RAAL upgrade.

One thought I had: a "trade up" program might be attractive for those who already own S-1, but I have no idea how much that would affect Ascend's ROI or resale objectives. There would be a lot of B-Stock going this route, and it will impact Ascend's current inventory turnover.

I do have a soft spot for quality bookshelf monitors. I will definitely stay tuned.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention names. My thought was Sierra-1R. Simple, but descriptive.
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 04-18-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added suggested name
    -Jacob