Page 97 of 150 FirstFirst ... 9293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

If i remember right, the US built cabinets has a larger port, so i guess these wont fit.

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    If i remember right, the US built cabinets has a larger port, so i guess these wont fit.
    The domestic cabinets will use the same port as the Sierra Tower. We know that both Q-Plugs (A & B) will fit the Tower port (Dave himself experimented with them).

Using Q-Plug A with the Sierra Tower is not ideal due to the increased air pressure from two woofers in the larger enclosure. Q-Plug B works OK, though.

That being said, I suspect the Sierra-2 will be absolutely OK with Q-Plug A (just like with Sierra-1/NrT) because the internal pressure is much less than what the Towers provide. The difference will be in the performance characteristics and effectiveness.
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 12-09-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
    -Jacob

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

I am happy to report that we have finished our suite of measurements. I will post a few now with a few more later on as I need to label them. Below are the full range frequency response, cumulative spectral decay and polar response. Officially, the Sierra-2 is 86dB sensitivity at 2.83v at 1 meter with a -3dB point at 46Hz. +/- 3dB from 46Hz to a remarkable 38kHz (anechoic). An easy 8 ohm load with an impedance that never dips below 6 ohms.

I also want to mention that the CSD plot is NOT a mistake. I double / triple and quadruple checked this -- the CSD is remarkable and thoroughly surprised me with just how clean and fast the decay times are -- not just with the tweeter, but with the woofer as well. I felt it was important to keep the Y scale on this graph the same as the other CSD plots on our site for easy comparison. This speaker is incredibly fast and clean...

And the Polar response speaks volumes... the horizontal dispersion is unbelievably wide.

Please do me a small favor and keep the measurements here, please do not copy or post them anywhere else. Send interested people to our forum to check them out. Thank you!

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davef; 12-10-2013 at 04:25 AM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Wow that CSD is fantastic. Should really clear things up in my room.

Oh my stars and garters!! Holy measurements, Batman.

I'm nearly stunned with those plots. I expected outstanding, but this is in another league. Wow.

And the high-frequency extension is crazy: 38kHz! I'm also relieved that f3 remains under 50 Hz anechoic. f3 is only 2 Hz above Sierra-1 (anechoic).
    -Jacob

Oh, and as far as I can tell, the polar response is very close to the Sierra Tower w/RAAL ribbon. Truly outstanding!

Hey Dave, you're selling the Sierra-2 for how much again??!
    -Jacob

Just came to after a gander at those measurements. How long was I out? Those CSD, and polar response curves are beyond impressive.

Truly awesome work Dave, you and your partners/vendors have done something so very special here. You must be a very proud "papa"! 20 kHz at 60 deg. looks to be hardly down at all . I'll bet the imaging, transparency is stunning, bookshelf or not!

Jay

Speaking of labels, the first chart is labeled Sierra 1, not 2.

Quote Originally Posted by P Seastrand View Post
    Speaking of labels, the first chart is labeled Sierra 1, not 2.
    LOL -- thanks for catching that Phil. I am so used to typing Sierra-1, not sure if I will ever get comfortable typing that "2".
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

do you think you'll have enough upgrade kits for people who already ordered?