Page 42 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    We had a Sierra .5 thread several years ago. It hasn't been touched for a while. Starting on page 20, Dave ran into some significant issues in several areas which happens when one is trying to push the limits.

On the last page (21), Dave gives some insight on the likely size of the Sierra .5 due to performance goals. Of course, several years have elapsed since the last post so I'm not sure the status of this project or if it's viable.
    Thanks, Dark Ranger!

I did not know about that thread! That is definitely going back a few years, now. But that is pretty much exactly what I was picturing in my mind's eye.

So, obviously, Dave has already considered something along the lines of what I was talking about. And, personally, I still believe there would be a market for it, and a spot for it in the Sierra series lineup. The problem seems to have been the price.

But time marches on, technology continues to develop, and price points come down. I wonder if now, a couple years on from when that thread ended, there might be some potential solutions. Knowing Dave by reputation, I'm sure he hasn't forgotten about this idea So I'm guessing there is still too much of a cost issue to make this "Sierra 0.5" viable.

But I wonder - what if the much smaller cabinet were not the design goal? What if a merely "skinny" cabinet and an on-wall placement were the goals instead - ie. the size of the cabinet would be such that a higher price point would not seem out of place? Something more along the lines of a Sierra-1 that just happens to have a cabinet that is better suited for on-wall placement?

My own, custom, "skinny" Horizon Center speaker is an example of this idea. At a mere 7.5" deep and front slot ported, it makes near-a-wall placement much easier than the standard Horizon or Sierra Tower. The 11" height remained the same. But the width grew to a very large 40"! Obviously, that will not work for everybody - haha. But for a Surround/on-wall Sierra-1 variant, something along the lines of:

front ported, 21" tall x 8.5" wide x 6.5" deep, with appropriate wall-mounting inserts included on the back.

I'm not sure if the exact same woofer and tweeter as the Sierra-1 or Sierra-2 would still work for the on-wall placement. But my proposed design would retain the ported design and have the same internal volume as a Sierra-1 cabinet.

I could easily envision speakers of those dimensions flanking a flat panel TV, or hanging proudly on the side walls as Surrounds. And since they LOOK bigger than the Sierra-1 by virtue of being taller and slightly wider, I don't think people would balk at the price being the same or slightly higher than the Sierra-1. It could simply be marketed as a variation of the Sierra-1, much like how the Horizon is basically a Sierra Tower with a different layout, and a moderately increased price.

An 8.5" tall x 21" wide x 6.5" deep horizontal version - with the tweeter and woofer side-by-side - would also make for a nice, matching, "on-wall", "skinny" Center speaker. Can't you just picture a wide, flat, horizontal, on-wall mounted Sierra-2 with the proposed new ribbon tweeter? Seems like it could make for a pretty sweet flat panel aesthetic!

Heck, I'm kind of jazzed about this idea Maybe I should contact Dave and see if he would build this design as a custom speaker! Maybe it would spark an idea in his head to add it as a standard offering in Ascend's lineup

Patience is hard.

Did you guys the newsletter? What's the deal with these?

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/

Reading the newsletter description, I swore I was about the see the Sierra-2's.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post
    Did you guys the newsletter? What's the deal with these?

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/

Looks like high a high quality woofer in a simple affordable design manufactured overseas to control costs. That frequency response curve is impressive.
    Last edited by bkdc; 05-23-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Looks very promising for those on a tight budget looking for high quality sound and build. Front ported to allow more placement flexibility.

Lets start a new thread for it if we desire to talk about it and keep this thread open for info on the Sierra-2 which we all know is r e a l l y close to being announced!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

Right there with you...

They look interesting - waiting to hear reviews - I'm particularly interested to hear about the tweeter and it's performance. Might just be the ticket for my folks..

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Lets start a new thread for it if we desire to talk about it and keep this thread open for info on the Sierra-2 which we all know is r e a l l y close to being announced!!
    You're right Ed. I'm sorry..

Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
    So Dave,

Have you gotten your prototype samples?

Are they what you expected?

Still more tweaking to do?
    Hey guys -- sorry about the lack of updates on my end.

Unfortunately, we ran into a snag which has set us back another month. During prototype evaluation, I found a manufacturing defect on one of the critical components which must be corrected before I can finalize everything. This was with the last batch of prototypes I received so, unfortunately, another batch has to be sent and is currently being made for us. I have been told about 3 more weeks.

That stated, I have been using this time to experiment with some different cabinet porting in order to further improve performance. I have attached some pics of sample cabinets I had built.

The front slot porting for this cabinet actually hurts performance. We lose 2-3 dB of low end while at the same time, there is a noticeable port resonance. I am going to try another method of front porting the cabinet to reduce the port resonance (doubling the slot area and lengthening the port) but I have my doubts. The cabinet really needs dual slot ports like the horizon but there just isn't the space.

The other cabinet uses the port tube from the tower, but requires a longer tube - which is certainly not a problem. I really like this option as this port tube has the least amount of turbulence of any port tube I have ever tested and we actually gain some output using this option compared to the current port tube. Only issue is I am not sure if the overall look will pass, although it is the back of the cabinet

So, Sierra-2 *might* have a slightly different porting method -- the port "tune" does not change at all, which means the new components will work perfectly fine in the Sierra-1 cabinet but factory built Sierra-2 might have this porting change.

Any thoughts on the rear ported version with the large flared port?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave, are those new cabinets housing a standard Sierra-1 or are we looking at Sierra-2 components (drivers) here?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
    Dave, are those new cabinets housing a standard Sierra-1 or are we looking at Sierra-2 components (drivers) here?
    Those are Sierra-1 components. I am not quite ready to publicly display Sierra-2 components
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com