Thread: 200s vs 170s

Default 200s vs 170s

I have a fairly large room (15*30). Im going with a 10 inch hsu sub. Will I be gaining much by going with 170s over the 200s if I cross them at 80hz? I am 90% movies. 10% music. I prefer wall mounts vs. standmounts. My one year old likes to knock things over. I'm doing the 340 center no matter what. Can 200s fill a large room?

Default Re: 200s vs 170s

Hi,

I think you'll be happy with either one. However, while they both have the same power handling, the 170s are slightly more efficient. The 170s will require a bit less power from your amp to reach the same apparent volume as the 200s. Honestly, I don't think you'll have a problem with the 200s in this application.

The low-frequency extension of the 170s will be somewhat negated since you're crossing over at 80 Hz. Still, the 170 is a larger speaker and will be slightly more "full-bodied" than the 200s.

The issue here seems to be mounting and placement. Since wall-mounting is preferred, I would suggest the 200s because of the sealed enclosure, smaller size, and (possibly) easier mounting. However, the rear-ported 170s could also work depending on your selected mounting solution. The 80 Hz crossover will reduce the problems associated with wall-mounting a ported enclosure. Still, if you can extend the 170 away from the wall 3 to 6 inches, it will help even more.

My $0.02.
    -Jacob

Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed resonse. This helps me tremendously. I figure I will go with a pair of 200s then and if they don't have the full body I want then I will just move them to the rears and pick up the 170s for fronts. Thanks again for the great response.

I have a friend that bought 200's all the way around and loves them. His room is slightly smaller, but has no problems filling it with sounds.