Thread: Switching devices with same speakers

Default Switching devices with same speakers

Hey Gang,

Need some input. I have a 5.1 set up with 340SE's up front. I pulled out my old Sansui AU-317 integrated i had boxed up for about 8 years to start playing some 2 channel again using the same 340's. I have banana plugs on both sets of wire from the AVR & the Amp, so I just plug either into the 340's as needed. My question is, if I continue to just switch back and forth, will I eventually wear out the binding post and lose good connectivity? Or should I get a speaker switching device like the Niles ABS-1 FG00271 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190ABS1...html?tp=1846)? Will such devices degrade sound quality in any way? Seems a lot more convenient than manually switching..... Thoughts?

BTW - The Sansui rated at 50 watts (sounds like its over 100 watts) has brought out the best in the 340's at full range! First time Ive ran the 340's at full range and was very impressed by how they sound with this old amp, was shocked at the bass it produced. I need to get the sansui recapped but man it sounds good for being 30 plus years old! Forgot how good this little thing is since going all digital in the AVR world!

Thx

Jeff

Default Re: Switching devices with same speakers

Quote Originally Posted by jbistany View Post
    Hey Gang,

Need some input. I have a 5.1 set up with 340SE's up front. I pulled out my old Sansui AU-317 integrated i had boxed up for about 8 years to start playing some 2 channel again using the same 340's. I have banana plugs on both sets of wire from the AVR & the Amp, so I just plug either into the 340's as needed. My question is, if I continue to just switch back and forth, will I eventually wear out the binding post and lose good connectivity? Or should I get a speaker switching device like the Niles ABS-1 FG00271 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190ABS1...html?tp=1846)? Will such devices degrade sound quality in any way? Seems a lot more convenient than manually switching..... Thoughts?

BTW - The Sansui rated at 50 watts (sounds like its over 100 watts) has brought out the best in the 340's at full range! First time Ive ran the 340's at full range and was very impressed by how they sound with this old amp, was shocked at the bass it produced. I need to get the sansui recapped but man it sounds good for being 30 plus years old! Forgot how good this little thing is since going all digital in the AVR world!

Thx

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Sorry that your post was missed.... Those old Sansui amplifiers were beasts!!!

My question is, if I continue to just switch back and forth, will I eventually wear out the binding post and lose good connectivity? Or should I get a speaker switching device like the Niles ABS-1 FG00271 ([url]
    More than likely you will wear down the banana plug itself as opposed to the binding post. You can simply replace the banana plugs when this occurs.

Or should I get a speaker switching device like the Niles ABS-1 FG00271 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190ABS1...html?tp=1846)? Will such devices degrade sound quality in any way?
    They can definitely degrade sound quality depending on the implementation. One thing that I have notice with such devices that switch the high level output is that when using them a lot, the switches themselves become noisy and intermittant over time.

If you want to maintain sound quality, I would recommend direct connection to the speakers and replacing the banana plugs when required.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Switching devices with same speakers

No worries Dave, I know you'll are busy and glad to see the success you guys are having. Appreciate the suggestion as well and will skip the cheesy device!

Jeff