Thread: Ascend vs axiom

Default Ascend vs axiom

Has anyone heard both? How do they compare. I have narrowed down my search to these 2 companies budget lines. Ascend 170s vs axiom's comparibly priced bookshelfs

Default Re: Ascend vs axiom

The CBM-170SE and M22 are comparable, but IMO the Ascend is a better engineered and sounding speaker, as well as components.
    Last edited by curtis; 04-04-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    -curtis

Thanks for the reply. Im leaning toward ascends. I have read some reviews calling them bright. Im dumping my paradigms because I'm over their bright sound. At the end of the day I know I need to use the 30 day return policy on both speakers. Wouldn't the axioms be more bright with metal drivers?

Did you ever pull the trigger on the Ascend CBM 170s or a comparable Axiom? Wish I'd seen this earlier. I own both the CBMs and the Axiom M3s. The M3s are (to my ears) the Axiom speakers most comparable to the CBM 170s.

I have done A/B comparisons with them a couple of times. I'd say honestly you can't go wrong with either one. They are both excellent bookshelf speakers. Not sure I have any original observations on the two, but here's how I'd compare them:

Axioms M3s:
    • Slightly fuller bass, but only enough to notice in a straight A/B comparison ... the bass is extremely close between the two speakers, and I would not consider this a selling point one way or another
    • Airier highs on cymbals
    • Excellent dynamics
    • Tame mid-range
    • Slightly wider soundstage maybe ... or could be the airiness
    • Not bright at all - this is a warm, musical, lovable speaker

Ascend CBM 170:
    • Slightly clearer mid-range, recognizable on violins and Rufus Wainright
    • Bit more detail on complex instrumentals, background vocals
    • Also great dynamics
    • Bit of that rolled off sound on the highs - easy to listen to ... the Ascends are accurate but warmer than the Axioms - like sharp cymbals (Axioms) vs. hearing the cymbals inside an acoustically sound recording room (Ascends)

So which is better? Really depends on your ears and the situation. As a near-field monitor (at my desk, or even sitting within 5-8 feet), I prefer the Ascends. I also prefer them as HT speakers, either as small fronts or satellites. But I would not hesitate to use the Axioms in either spot. I used the Axioms as kitchen speakers, mounted high on our wall and tilted down. They outshine the Ascends here, just a tad, because of their ability to fill the room with a bit more bass and their wider dispersion. My completely subjective feeling is that I get a little bit more accuracy, and more overall information, from the Ascends, but I get a slightly bigger soundstage filling the room (airiness, bass) from the Axioms. Since my sub and center round things out on HT, that's not a problem there, and in close-in listening, I want the facts, not the emotion.

Incidentally, I also A/B'ed the Ascends against the new Andrew Jones Pioner SP-BS22s. While I preferred the Ascends (better soundstage, more bass, better dynamics, greater overall accuracy), those Pioneers are awfully damn good, and tonally, they sound a lot like the Ascends, with a clear, lovable mid-range and lots of detail, and an overall warm tamped down sound.

PS - One thing though -- the Axioms (IMHO) look nicer, especially if you pick up a customized wood veneer. I wish Ascend could offer a customized CBM-170, given that this is such an awesome speaker. But, I appreciate the simplicity and excellent price of the CBM as it is.