Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receiver recommendations

Question Receiver recommendations

I currently have a pair of CBM-170s powered by a Kenwood VR-8070 and a Hsu VTF-3 MK2. It's time to upgrade so I will be adding a pair of Sierra Towers and a Sierra Horizon and moving the 170s for rear channel duty.

I need a new receiver but am having a difficult time deciding between a Marantz SR7005 and Denon AVR-4311CI, or anything else around $2000.

My needs are:
    5+ HDMI inputs
    Sound quality
    Network capabilities are a benefit
    ARC of some sort would be nice
    Multi-zone output would be nice

My current sources are:
    DirecTV HD receiver
    Xbox 360
    Marantz DV9500
    Oppo BDP-93
    Media PC

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ray

Default Re: Receiver recommendations

My understanding is the 4311 is more "sophisticated" than the 7005. New features and a better version of Audessey.
    -curtis

Ray,

I won't speak about features, because that info is available on the manufacturers websites. I spent a couple hours doing direct comparisons of the Marantz SR7005, Denon-3311, Pioneer Elite VSX-53, and Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000. Prior to this session, I always thought that the speakers were the vast majority of overall sound quality. I was surprised at the differences in sound between the receivers.

I set all receivers to pure direct before listening.

1. Pioneer was very lean sounding but had the best stoundstage and good detail. However, it was too lean for my tastes.
    2. Marantz was very different than the Pioneer and the sound was full, warm with some thickness to the upper bass/lower midrange. Detail, imaging, and soundstage were all good.
    3. The Denon fell in between the Pioneer and Marantz. It seemed the most balanced, had good detail and stoundstage.
    4. I did not like the Yamaha (sorry Yamaha owner). The soundstage was very narrow and imaging was poor (perhaps the receiver required some calibration).

To answer your question, if you're looking for a warmer sounding receiver, choose Marantz. If you want more balance, choose the Denon.

The 4311ci can be had for less than $1500, just call about any authorized dealer, as they can't post that price on their website.

In my opinion, it was the top dog receiver when it came out almost 2 years ago, and is still. It's main features are it's full-bore 11.2 implementation of Audyssey DSX, (which no other receiver can match to this day) and XT32 with the ability to upgrade to Audyssey Pro calibration. The similarly priced Onkyo's have neither of these features, nor do they have the solid reliability of the 4311ci, from most reports.

DEnon 4311ci... and it's not even close. Which is why I have one.

P.S: The Marantz receivers, for a while now, are just rebadged Denon's. Lower End Denon's at that. The 4311ci is the only receiver mentioned in this thread that is made in Japan and is truly a high-end model.
    Last edited by S_rangeBrew; 03-17-2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: More information singing the 4311ci's praises.

I'll have to go and audition the Denon vs. Marantz. The nearest town that would have a store that stocks either brand is about 2 hours away so I'll try to make my way out that way sometime in the next week or so.

Thanks for the input so far.

Ray,

I had the chance to audition an NAD T775 at a local shoppe. I compared it to Sony ES and Denon units that were similar in price (I cannot remember the model numbers, but I can go back and write them down if need be) and the NAD sound quality was much, much better - more musical and more authoritative. The dealer did not sell Marantz or Yamaha, so I cannot comment there. The reason I bring this up is because the NAD usually sells for $3000+/-, but there is a refurb on Audiogon for $1649. I was thinking about picking it up, but I have no need for one right now (I am still immersed in 2-channel land and it would be VERY expensive for me to invest in a surround setup that matches the sound quality of what I have now). If you want to step up further in quality, there is a dealer that sells refurbished Arcam stuff (I have a DV137 universal player that is amazing) on both A'gon and Ebay.

Good luck and good hunting!

John
    "I aim to misbehave..."

Let me also recommend that you look at the MRX series receivers from Anthem. Their Room Correction software is top notch. While the Denon you are looking at has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction, the Anthem beats this unless you spring for the Pro version of Audyssey. I have the lowest version of their receiver the MRX-300, and it has plenty of power to drive my system.

As I understand it, the Marantz SR7005 is basically a re-badged Denon 3311 (admittedly in a much more pleasing package IMHO), so the 4311 is at least one model above the 7005.

My HK 745 bit the bullet last week unfortunately and I've been reading up on receivers since I haven't really been in the market for a while. I ended up ordering a 4311 today.

I called six different Denon authorized dealers by phone and only one of them would not come off the $2099 price, three of them gave me a price in the $1500-$1600 ball park, but two different dealers offered me the unit (brand new and factroy sealed) for $1299 shipped without even haggling at all...all I did was ask for their best price. I'm not sure how Dave would feel about me sharing which stores they were at but if you look in the deal threads on the AVSForum I posted my experience in the 4311 thread. From what I've read I don't know of any AVR that could top it at that price.
    Speakers: Sierra-1 (across the front), HTM-200SE (surrounds), Epik Valor (subwoofer)
    AVR: Denon AVR-4311CI
    Display: Pioneer PDP-5080HD
    Source devices: TiVo Premiere (2TB), TiVo Premiere (stock), Pioneer BDP-51FD, Oppo DV-981HD
    Protection: APC H10

Quote Originally Posted by raggededge View Post
    Let me also recommend that you look at the MRX series receivers from Anthem.
    +1 on the MRX line. I have the MRX-500 and really like it.
    It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Denon, etc (e.g. phone app for control), but it does sound lovely.
    Plus it's fun to geek out with the ARC graphs.

But, it only has 4 HDMI inputs and not the 5 you are looking for.
    Do you really need both the oppo and marantz players connected?

Mitch

2nd anthem if u have 2k to spend. Not all the features but sound quality can not be matched