Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: quick visit to Ascend

Default Re: quick visit to Ascend

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It's a beast and it really likes to show it... Love the dynamics and huge soundstage it throws. Tonight I plan to listen to a full LCR set of them while watching Super 8.
    That train derailment scene certainly is incredible and fun to watch...but I thought you preferred story lines & plot over special effects....

How about Sierra-1 with RAAL? Is this in the future?

Cool thread! Are the specs for the STC Horizon listed anywhere? I am supposed to get my Towers and STC Horizon Monday--can't wait. I am, however, starting to wonder about the path not taken (3 Horizons.)

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Not surprisingly, this question has come up before. See this link for Dave's response.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Ray View Post
    Cool thread! Are the specs for the STC Horizon listed anywhere? I am supposed to get my Towers and STC Horizon Monday--can't wait. I am, however, starting to wonder about the path not taken (3 Horizons.)
    There is no official product page yet for the STC/Horizon. However, according to everything I've read about the Horizon, it uses the same core components as the Sierra Towers. Specifications like FR, sensitivity, impedance, and power handling should be nearly identical to the Tower specs. At the moment, Ascend is more focused on fulfilling back-orders and getting the STC delivered to customers. I have no doubt we'll see a dedicated product page in the near future.

Dave posted some measurements of the STC back in October. See here.

See this post for his thoughts about Tower vs. Horizon performance, as well as a Horizon setup for L/C/R.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Not surprisingly, this question has come up before. See this link for Dave's response.
    Yes...and the subject came up during our visit.

The picture I posted of the RAAL and NrT side by side really tells the story. The depth of the RAAL is the hindrance to making it an easy swap. The port tube of the current Sierra cabinet would need to be moved, which, in turn, would cause the internals of the cabinet to be re-arranged, which could necessitate a change in the shape of the cabinet.

It is something on Dave's plate to look into since he has gotten some requests for it.
    Last edited by curtis; 03-03-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    -curtis

I, for one, am kind of glad that the current Sierra won't house the RAAL because I would have to upgrade again, which is what my visits to Ascend do to me.

That tweeter is something special. And I'm thinking about actually adding the center speaker to go with my NrT Sierras, if I can actually wedge it into my space.

It is always great to visit.

Wondering if the RAALs will do well in HT. How do ribbons compare to domes when the volume gets loud?

Default Re: quick visit to Ascend (more pics?)

For those of us who are out of state and have never visited Ascend, it is great seeing pics of the listening room. Would there happen to be pics of the equipment rack? Would love to see that.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by RobH; 03-04-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Default Re: quick visit to Ascend (more pics?)

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    For those of us who are out of state and have never visited Ascend, it is great seeing pics of the listening room. Would there happen to be pics of the equipment rack? Would love to see that.
    Thanks.
    I didn't even think to take a picture of the rack.

The rack housed the following:
    Rotel pre/pro (I want to say the model is the 1065, but not sure)
    ADA 6150 power amp
    Onix CD player
    Samsung Blu-ray player
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by mziegler View Post
    That tweeter is something special. And I'm thinking about actually adding the center speaker to go with my NrT Sierras, if I can actually wedge it into my space.
    I know of only a few people (on this forum anyway) that will have the Sierra-1 L/R with STC/Horizon Center. Dave even mentioned he's going this route since the Towers won't fit in his family room.

Like you, I am planning to grab the Horizon for center duties. Whereas you have the NrT upgrade in your Sierras, I'm still kicking it with the original tweeters. For now, I am the only one (that I'm aware of) who will be using the Horizon/RAAL with stock Sierras. Very curious how this will turn out...

Wondering if the RAALs will do well in HT. How do ribbons compare to domes when the volume gets loud?
    "I believe for loud and dynamic home theater, most rock and hip hop -- the NrT will probably be preferred" (davef, 2011).

According to the measurement data, the RAAL offers improvements over the NrT, but like most things in life, it is personal preference that drives many of our decisions. The general consensus around here is to grab the ribbon upgrade for critical listening requirements or if one wants "absolute timbral accuracy" (davef, 2011).

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post

I didn't even think to take a picture of the rack.

The rack housed the following:
    Rotel pre/pro (I want to say the model is the 1065, but not sure)
    ADA 6150 power amp
    Onix CD player
    Samsung Blu-ray player
    Well, I guess that means you'll just have to go back to Ascend!
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 03-04-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    -Jacob