Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: quick visit to Ascend

Default Re: quick visit to Ascend

Fun day today!

Curtis, after you and Mitch left, Sanjay "professionally " calibrated the 5.1 system and he then sat me down and played the Alan Parson's quad mix of Dark Side of the Moon... WOW!...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Wow, I bet today's demonstration sounded fantastic. I also see that Dave installed some upgrades! I noticed:

- new Samsung TV (what is that, like a 48"?)
    - new sleek-looking AV rack
    - rearranged components on the AV rack

That STC/Horizon looks amazing. Not 100% sure on the finish either. The first photo makes it look like cherry, but in the third photo it looks more like espresso.

Love the close-ups of the NrT and autographed RAAL tweeter.

THANK YOU FOR THE PICS!
    TV is an inexpensive 51" Samsung Plasma.. Decent picture. Rack is from Omnimount. The equipment rack is actually on the side of the room, none of the electronics on the TV rack is actually connected, good place for storage

The finish on the STC is espresso

Oh, have you any idea what the little yellow box is in photo #1 and #3?

To me, it looks like the ONE.2 from Virtue Audio, although I could be wrong.
    Good guess! Nice little amp -- works well with the Towers, 170's and 340's.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

oops...forgot this pic:

-curtis

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Fun day today!

Curtis, after you and Mitch left, Sanjay "professionally " calibrated the 5.1 system and he then sat me down and played the Alan Parson's quad mix of Dark Side of the Moon... WOW!...
    Bummer that we missed it.

Thanks for having us over. It was an "ear" opener!
    -curtis

Fun day today!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Bummer that we missed it.

Thanks for having us over. It was an "ear" opener!
    Fun days like this can keep one sane and "above water" when the pressures of life threaten to overwhelm. I also think Dave was very gracious to step away from what I know is a busy schedule (no doubt it was good for his sanity, too).

I am so glad that everyone had a good time.

TV is an inexpensive 51" Samsung Plasma.. Decent picture. Rack is from Omnimount. The equipment rack is actually on the side of the room, none of the electronics on the TV rack is actually connected, good place for storage

The finish on the STC is espresso

Good guess! Nice little amp -- works well with the Towers, 170's and 340's.
    Thanks for the clarification and additional info. I really like that Omnimount rack.

oops...forgot this pic:
    Now that was the money shot I was hoping for, very similar to the demo video posted several weeks ago. Gotta say that is a very unique and interesting arrangement and would deserve a second look in anyone's HT setup. Great conversation starter with your buddies. It really is a tale of Beauty and the Beast.

By the way, the "ghost" in the machine is much more visible in your last photo compared to the first. I wonder who that could be...
    -Jacob

By the way, the "ghost" in the machine is much more visible in your last photo compared to the first. I wonder who that could be...
    That is Carl, one of the attendees from the AVS forum and LA Audio/Video Association. When I snapped the picture, he was putting a disc in the CD player.

BTW, I'm impressed with how the iPhone 4S pictures came out using SmugMug's new app.
    -curtis

BTW, I'm impressed with how the iPhone 4S pictures came out using SmugMug's new app.
    I was wondering how your iPhone pics are so good -- mine are always horrible. What app is that?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I was wondering how your iPhone pics are so good -- mine are always horrible. What app is that?
    Search for "SmugMug" in the app store.

If you have a SmugMug account, it is nice because it can automatically upload the pictures. Has nice correction and effect features too.
    -curtis

TV is an inexpensive 51" Samsung Plasma.. Decent picture.
    Yeah because your last TV was such a reference... I miss the old TV though... Gave style to that room! Oh well.. There's just something special about watching a movie on an old CRT that you just don't get with those current TVs, no soul, just something missing..

Interesting to see the center next to the towers, looks bigger than I thought!
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 03-02-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Yeah because your last TV was such a reference... I miss the old TV though... Gave style to that room! Oh well.. There's just something special about watching a movie on an old CRT that you just don't get with those current TVs, no soul, just something missing..
    I assure you, that little 21" TV is not going anywhere! I have (3) large flat screens in my home, one for my wife, son and daughter -- although that was never the original intention

With the 51" plasma at MY office, I can finally watch what I want to watch I should have picked up a 65" though, with a better picture.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Interesting to see the center next to the towers, looks bigger than I thought!
    It's a beast and it really likes to show it... Love the dynamics and huge soundstage it throws. Tonight I plan to listen to a full LCR set of them while watching Super 8.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I assure you, that little 21" TV is not going anywhere! I have (3) large flat screens in my home, one for my wife, son and daughter -- although that was never the original intention

With the 51" plasma at MY office, I can finally watch what I want to watch I should have picked up a 65" though, with a better picture.

It's a beast and it really likes to show it... Love the dynamics and huge soundstage it throws. Tonight I plan to listen to a full LCR set of them while watching Super 8.
    Wow...I bet it sounds fabulous.