Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: quick visit to Ascend

Default Re: quick visit to Ascend

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    David...we had a good time listening to Towers with the RAAL, the STC, and STC's in stereo.

Mitch and I had to leave before the room was setup with Towers w/ RAALs and an STC w/RAAL. The surrounds were CBM-170SEs. A few others were there from the AVS forum that were able to stay and listen to that setup.
    I'm curious as to how this arrangement sounded with multi channel music. I tried a Sierra NrT front stage with Mirage bipolar surrounds before I got the Towers. It seemed OK for movies, but didn't do well with music when the surrounds were fed a full range task (in other words, not just ambience).

Now I'm using the NrTs for surrounds (and center until the Horizon arrives), and it sounds incredible, but I would like to set up a second system in a different building, and I'm thinking of using the NrTs as mains. I would not be willing to sacrifice the sound quality of the surround music system, which is why I ask the question.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    I'm curious as to how this arrangement sounded with multi channel music. I tried a Sierra NrT front stage with Mirage bipolar surrounds before I got the Towers. It seemed OK for movies, but didn't do well with music when the surrounds were fed a full range task (in other words, not just ambience).

Now I'm using the NrTs for surrounds (and center until the Horizon arrives), and it sounds incredible, but I would like to set up a second system in a different building, and I'm thinking of using the NrTs as mains. I would not be willing to sacrifice the sound quality of the surround music system, which is why I ask the question.
    With the mix of RAAL and NrT tweeters, I could certainly tell the difference.

If multi-channel music is a priority, I would go all RAAL or all NrT(or Seas).
    Last edited by curtis; 03-04-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    With the mix of RAAL and NrT tweeters, I could certainly tell the difference.

If multi-channel music is a priority, I would go all RAAL or all NrT(or Seas).
    Multi channel music is indeed the priority, however I don't have enough room for another set of RAAL Towers as surrounds. I'm certainly not inclined to rid myself of the RAAL Towers, or the forthcoming RAAL equipped Horizon.

I have played a ton of stuff with the system as it is currently configured, and the NrTs actually acquit themselves quite admirably in their role as surrounds. Guess I'll be content until such time that Ascend releases a ribbon equipped bookshelf, or my listening area somehow expands.

I do believe that surrounds being placed to the side, and slightly behind the main listening position might be more forgiving as compared with the front stage. Even when the main fronts are mixed with the surrounds to image an instrument between them, it has integrated quite seamlessly. Would it sound better if the Sierras were ribbon equipped? One would be hard pressed to believe it would not, would it be much? Such are the dilemmas of OCD afflicted folks .

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Wondering if the RAALs will do well in HT. How do ribbons compare to domes when the volume gets loud?
    Quite well actually... Very smooth and non-fatiguing presentation. With regard to loudness, these ribbons behave extremely well at loud volumes and I have yet to damage one. In our well damped listening room and at about ten feet back, we were easily hitting 105dB peaks without even a hint of compression...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com