Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 170se vs 340se with Sierra-1 front stage

Default 170se vs 340se with Sierra-1 front stage

Hello,

Is there any reason other than, possibly, SPL to chose 340s over 170s for surrounds with Sierra-1 fronts?

the goal is decent setup for multichannel music playback.

thank you
    Last edited by zheka; 02-24-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Default Re: 170se vs 340se with Sierra-1 front stage

Hi zheka,

Besides being slightly more efficient than 170s, the 340s will reach a little deeper in the low-frequency range and offer slightly more continuous power handling. However, the 340s are significantly larger than the 170s, so placement options could be less flexible.

It sounds like you're planning to run the surrounds full-range (no crossover), yes?

EDIT: zheka, I found this thread that provides further information on the differences. See Dave's post for a detailed response.
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 02-24-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: More info...
    -Jacob

thank you for the reply.

The surrounds will not run full-range. The preferred crossover point is at 80Hz but can probably be set higher if needed.

the size is one reason I prefer 170s. The price is another. If I can confirm my suspicion that sonically they are very close then I will have all the reason I need to settle with 170s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Hi zheka,

Besides being slightly more efficient than 170s, the 340s will reach a little deeper in the low-frequency range and offer slightly more continuous power handling. However, the 340s are significantly larger than the 170s, so placement options could be less flexible.

It sounds like you're planning to run the surrounds full-range (no crossover), yes?

wow, thank you for the link!

Crossing the 340s at 80 Hz will tend to negate the low-frequency extension, but you'll still reap the benefits of imaging/soundstage and dynamic performance over the 170s. However, I agree that price and placement flexibility do carry importance with surround channels.

For what it's worth, I think the 170s are very capable surround speakers. Depending on your placement and mounting options, I'd also suggest checking out the HTM-200 SE product as well. They are smaller and slightly cheaper than the 170s.

Honestly, any one of Ascend's products could be awesome surround channels.
    -Jacob

hmm, I have not consider HTM-200 SE yet.
    I like that they are sealed. My room is rather narrow, i might have to place surrounds very close to the side walls.

thank you very much for the advise .

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Crossing the 340s at 80 Hz will tend to negate the low-frequency extension, but you'll still reap the benefits of imaging/soundstage and dynamic performance over the 170s. However, I agree that price and placement flexibility do carry importance with surround channels.

For what it's worth, I think the 170s are very capable surround speakers. Depending on your placement and mounting options, I'd also suggest checking out the HTM-200 SE product as well. They are smaller and slightly cheaper than the 170s.

Honestly, any one of Ascend's products could be awesome surround channels.

I use 170's for side surrounds and 200's for rear. I you're crossing over at 80hz, either one would work. If they need to be close to the walls, the 200's might be better. They are awesome speakers (but so are the 170's).

thank you for sharing. I just bought a pair of 170s and cannot wait till it's delivered.
    speaking of the rears, do you feel it's justified to run a pair there given that it's mono signal any way? my room is rather narrow (24x13). I am thinking if I ever upgrade my rear in-walls I might just get by with a decent single instead of a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    I use 170's for side surrounds and 200's for rear. I you're crossing over at 80hz, either one would work. If they need to be close to the walls, the 200's might be better. They are awesome speakers (but so are the 170's).

Quote Originally Posted by zheka View Post
    thank you for sharing. I just bought a pair of 170s and cannot wait till it's delivered.
    speaking of the rears, do you feel it's justified to run a pair there given that it's mono signal any way?
    You're welcome. I think you'll be very pleased with the 170's!
    I guess I never thought about justifying it. My home theater was an extravagence and just decided to splurge (within reason, that is). In the scheme of things, two HTM 200's wasn't enough of a difference to worry about. They are sold in two's anyway.

I'm just trying to gear up for Ultra High Definition TV, with its 22.2 audio scheme!

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    I'm just trying to gear up for Ultra High Definition TV, with its 22.2 audio scheme!
    hehe, sounds like you are well on your way