Thread: Audyssey 3.1 Question

Default Audyssey 3.1 Question

Well. I have decided to get a pair of Sierra-1 speakers and a 340 center. We are playing too many Blue Ray movies that are losing the dialogue volume wth our 2.1 system.

(The Wife wouldn't go for the Horizon fronts.)

Now, I am trying to decide on a receiver that will drive the Ascend speakers with plenty of headroom.

I am wondering if The Audyssey system will work with a 3.1 set up?

My Yamaha dealer told me their set up system will work with 3.1.

I am totally new to home theater, so any help is appreciated. What Receivers do you use? My budget is $1500 max for Receiver.

B

Default Re: Audyssey 3.1 Question

Yes...Audessey will work in a 3.1 setup....it will work with any setup.

Why not a Sierra-1 center?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    Well. I have decided to get a pair of Sierra-1 speakers and a 340 center. We are playing too many Blue Ray movies that are losing the dialogue volume wth our 2.1 system.

(The Wife wouldn't go for the Horizon fronts.)
    Not trying to upsell here, but just wondering why you settled on a 340 center versus Sierra-1 center? I can completely understand WAF on the Horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    Now, I am trying to decide on a receiver that will drive the Ascend speakers with plenty of headroom.

I am wondering if The Audyssey system will work with a 3.1 set up?

My Yamaha dealer told me their set up system will work with 3.1.

I am totally new to home theater, so any help is appreciated. What Receivers do you use? My budget is $1500 max for Receiver.

B
    Just about any quality receiver on the market today will drive the Ascends. Heck, I'm still using a pre-HDMI low-end Denon (circa 2007) in my 7.1 system, with Sierra-1 for L/R. Works fine, although I will upgrade the receiver at some point.

I'd suggest you check out the Aventage line from Yamaha. They are well-regarded. I'd also look at Denon, HK, and Onkyo.

Another option you might consider is purchasing a receiver with pre-outs. If you enjoy your music/movies way above reference level, pre-outs would give you the capability to add an external amplifier down the road. Not necessary, but at your stated budget it would be a good idea to have that option.

Audyssey will work with a 3.1 setup. Depending on the brand, you might have to tell the receiver you don't have side/back surrounds, but Audyssey will optimize your setup for 3.1. Be advised that some receivers have their own version of room correction. If you go Yamaha, you'll get YPAO, which is Yamaha's proprietary room correction system. Pioneer has MCACC. Denon and Onkyo use Audyssey.

EDIT: D'oh! I see curtis asked the same question.

EDIT 2: Clarification on Audyssey
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 02-24-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    -Jacob

Thanks to everyone. This increases my options. I am checking out NAD too.

The Sierra 1 center is in the running. We were looking at a cabinet with a center speaker shelf under the TV, so I figured cosmetics weren't an issue. It seems like the 340 center is pretty good.

B

Since you mentioned NAD, I'll throw two more options into the mix.

Anthem Receivers

Marantz Receivers

Just one recommendation: try not to focus on power output as a deciding factor. Receivers are designed to wear many hats, so you'll get a nice balance of performance and features. Thing is, the power specs (watts) on most receivers are usually optimistic. Most receivers cannot deliver their stated power to all channels simultaneously (e.g. 100 watts x 7), but are rated with one or two channels driven. If raw power and headroom is a big concern, get a receiver with pre-outs, plus a quality external amplifier to put your mind at rest.

When shopping for a receiver, I recommend you focus on features, capability, room correction options, connectivity options, easy of use, and reliability. Get the AVR that has the features you want and call it a day.

HTH.
    -Jacob

Thanks to all.
    The Anthem MRX 300 looks good.