Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why No More Harman Kardon Receivers?

Default Re: Why No More Harman Kardon Receivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    Accessories4less has a sale on one of the sherwood 972. It has Trinov room correction. I would have jumped on it if I had not purchased a pre-pro with Audyssey xt32.
    I think Curtis got one of those now. You might want to PM him for feedback..
    I really like the R-972, but it isn't a piece that is easily setup.

It has its problems/quirks, it is not polished. If you can get around these things, the capabilities of Trinnov are rewarding. In fact, I will go as far and say that for movies, after using Trinnov, it will be difficult to go to anything else.

I'm using it as a pre/pro and have been very happy with for the week that I've had it. It was $1800 retail, now being sold for $600. Problems aside, I don't think you'll find a better sounding receiver, but you will find receivers that work better overall.

Later, I will post a note to a friend that ask about it.

Here's the note...

It certainly has its quirks....but Sanjay and Manoj urged me to give it a try. I am using it as a pre/pro.

The remote is terrible, the manual is piece of crap, the video handshaking needs work, and the 3 second delay or so to lock into a codec can really bother some...especially channel flippers. In all, it seems some have more problems with the units than others. All my issues seem to be workable.

I will reprogram my MX-700 remote. The manual is a last resort for me. I have the video in bypass mode, and don't seem to have any problems there. The 3-second delay has not been a annoyance for me. The thread on AVS has been helpful.

Setup was pretty easy for me. I had no problems. It just took some time.

I am still messing around with the EQ, spatial/remapping options, but so far, the sound has been great. I watched Super 8 a couple of nights ago, and the integration of the whole 5.1 never sounded so good...I was truly impressed.

I wish it had Dynamic EQ, and some network functionality would be nice...but that's about it. For $600 bucks, and its sound capabilities are well worth it if the quirks/bugs/issues don't get you.
    Last edited by curtis; 03-16-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Don't forget about Marantz.

My SR6003 sounds very nice with my Sierra-1 NrT's. Marantz & Denon are under the same corporate umbrella. Marantz is focused on SQ more than features, which is where Denon takes the lead.

I found it refurbed at Accessories4less.
    I was going to include Marantz, but the MSRPs were above his budget for the 5006/6006. Of course, one can usually find better prices with a little research.
    -Jacob

Here's one at the top of his budget:
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ir-Play/1.html

Almost sold out. Just one example. They have several pieces availabe, including the SR5006.

I am very happy with the sound quality.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Hey, this is slightly off topic, but for HT is 7 channel notably different from 5 channel? Worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Ray View Post
    Hey, this is slightly off topic, but for HT is 7 channel notably different from 5 channel? Worth it?
    It depends on size of the room and speaker placement...but yes, it can be a notably better experience.
    -curtis

I don't think I have the room for 7 channels. 5.1 will be the most speakers I can fit in my listening area.

Wow! So much options, it's mind-boggling. I appreciate your replies guys.