Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Default Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Here they are: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...&postcount=732

Final dimensions are:

11" high x 23" wide x 12.5" deep (13" deep with grille)

So I've got a question about finish options.

At the moment, Ascend customers can order a pair of Towers or a Horizon/STC in High Gloss Black. A while back, Dave mentioned in this post that a true Piano Black finish might be possible in the future. Is this option still cooking on the burner?

Or, how about this angle: if a customer wanted to purchase a Horizon/STC in true Piano Black finish (and was willing to pay the extra), would this custom finish be possible at this stage in the game?
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    So I've got a question about finish options.

At the moment, Ascend customers can order a pair of Towers or a Horizon/STC in High Gloss Black. A while back, Dave mentioned in this post that a true Piano Black finish might be possible in the future. Is this option still cooking on the burner?

Or, how about this angle: if a customer wanted to purchase a Horizon/STC in true Piano Black finish (and was willing to pay the extra), would this custom finish be possible at this stage in the game?
    I do own a pair of towers in the true hand rubbed piano black. The finish at this time(I own the first pair) was an additional $700/pair and may have increased since. I did just order the STC but in HG black to save cash. I am sure Dave can have the towers finished this way again!

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    I do own a pair of towers in the true hand rubbed piano black. The finish at this time(I own the first pair) was an additional $700/pair and may have increased since. I did just order the STC but in HG black to save cash. I am sure Dave can have the towers finished this way again!
    I appreciate the info, Brandon. I recall some of the images you posted a while back that showed off the gorgeous hand-rubbed PB finish. I have no doubt that if PB and High Gloss weren't compared side-by-side, it would be harder to tell the difference under normal lighting conditions.

I'd love a pair of Towers, but they are impossible to fit in my listening room. Running a pair of PB Sierra-1 on my desk in a near-field setup for now. I was actually looking at getting a Horizon to replace my non-Ascend center channel. I'll have to make some serious compromises with my furniture arrangement to fit in a Horizon, though. Since it would be so close to the PB Sierras, I had some concerns about the High Gloss being "noticeably" different.

If you have a few moments during the setup and evaluation of your Horizon, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on how the High Gloss compares to your hand-rubbed PB Towers.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    If you have a few moments during the setup and evaluation of your Horizon, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on how the High Gloss compares to your hand-rubbed PB Towers.
    No problem! I will try and even sanp some side x side pics for all to see I imagine they will look just fine together maybe just not that "mirror" reflection look on the HG black.

Not sure who got their STCs yet, but I got notification from UPS that a shipping label was printed - so my 'custom' High Gloss black STC will be shipping soon!

Movie Fest is about to commence!

Hope everyone has gotten theirs already, or will get them soon.

Did you get the RAAL upgrade?

I am really itching to open the wallet and grab one of these Horizons for center duty. Watched X-Men: First Class tonight and kept wondering how different it might sound with this monster center.

I think I'm going to spend Sunday afternoon reviewing my placement options one more time. Need a measuring tape, pencil and paper, and my trig tables. Who knows, I might even bust out differential equations to ensure I can fit this Horizon into my sub-optimal setup!

However, I'll probably wait until Jay and Brandon weigh in with their thoughts (and pics!), just to be sure. I spent some time comparing images of the Towers in High Gloss versus true Piano Black finish. After further consideration, the High Gloss finish might be just fine and I could put that $700 or whatever towards upgrading my ancient receiver.

Tentative order: 1 Sierra Horizon in High Gloss w/RAAL upgrade.
    -Jacob

I got mine
    Kind of hard to see its true potential since my room isn't really set up, but it's definitely a lot more crisp and detailed compared to the towers.
    Speaking of, I also have the 170s as surrounds, and when testing all speakers for standard stereo/full use, even they are really impressive. Differences, to me, are the towers are more full and rich, and the center had greater clarity. All of them are insanely impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo95se View Post
    I got mine
    Kind of hard to see its true potential since my room isn't really set up, but it's definitely a lot more crisp and detailed compared to the towers.
    Speaking of, I also have the 170s as surrounds, and when testing all speakers for standard stereo/full use, even they are really impressive. Differences, to me, are the towers are more full and rich, and the center had greater clarity. All of them are insanely impressive.
    Excellent. Glad to hear that you got your center. I have the towers, and am expecting the center to ship in the next day or two. Once it gets here I'll have the Sierra Towers and center with 170 SE's as sides and rears.

I have been doing some side by side listening with the towers and the 170's and I agree with you that the 170's are impressive in their own right. They are truly overkill for surround duties for sure, but why not? I love the way my towers sound, very detailed and true, a natural sound. Can't wait to get my center and have it all mesh together.

Regards,

RTROSE