Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Default Re: recommended amplifier for Horizon RAAL?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I love my ATI.
    Ascend uses an ADA PTM-6150 in their demo room.
    Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't look like ATI or ADA have a monoblock in their current lineups.

Maybe a bridgeable (mono) stereo amp could be an option, although that halves the impedance that the amplifier sees which can cause problems...

Quote Originally Posted by dkuster View Post
    I have heard that class-D amplifiers and ribbon tweeters like the RAAL do not play nice together.

Can someone recommended a good class-AB monoblock amplifier that works well with the Horizon RAAL? (I have a surround processor without amplifiers so I have to use separates...)

Thanks.
    Who said that?? I have my towers with RAAL on two channels of an inuke nu4-6000 and there is zero noise floor, plenty of power, plenty of headroom, and it is crystal clear. That's my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mharris2007 View Post
    Who said that?? I have my towers with RAAL on two channels of an inuke nu4-6000 and there is zero noise floor, plenty of power, plenty of headroom, and it is crystal clear. That's my experience.
    What I've read is that high frequency noise due to the class-D switching power supply leaks through to the output and this is unavoidable. Because ribbon tweeters have an extended high end this noise is reproduced.

It may or may not be audible, but there's anecdotal reports of listener fatigue, aggravated tinnitus, and/or headaches. Also it may or may not be damaging to the tweeter itself.

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe it's not true, or an old fear and not an issue with newer class-D designs.

I'd much rather opt for a smaller, cooler class-D option if there's no issue...

Quote Originally Posted by dkuster View Post
    What I've read is that high frequency noise due to the class-D switching power supply leaks through to the output and this is unavoidable. Because ribbon tweeters have an extended high end this noise is reproduced.

It may or may not be audible, but there's anecdotal reports of listener fatigue, aggravated tinnitus, and/or headaches. Also it may or may not be damaging to the tweeter itself.

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe it's not true, or an old fear and not an issue with newer class-D designs.

I'd much rather opt for a smaller, cooler class-D option if there's no issue...
    I have listened to my towers using the inuke amps for hours at a time with none of those symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by mharris2007 View Post
    I have listened to my towers using the inuke amps for hours at a time with none of those symptoms.
    It’s dependent on the person and environment/situation.
    -curtis

I've been listening to my RAAL towers/horizon driven by my Marantz SR6012 receiver (A/B amps) for about six months now. And LOVING it. But because of this thread I'll hook up my Axiom ADA1500-3 amp (class D) and give it a good listening-to! I wonder if I'll hear those high freq problems....

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I've been listening to my RAAL towers/horizon driven by my Marantz SR6012 receiver (A/B amps) for about six months now. And LOVING it. But because of this thread I'll hook up my Axiom ADA1500-3 amp (class D) and give it a good listening-to! I wonder if I'll hear those high freq problems....
    Thank you! Please report back with your findings...

Dave

What is the secret sauce in the Horizon to make it with more “slam” than the towers? Is there anything I can do to tweak the towers to have the same slam?

When employing a subwoofer, is there still a benefit of using towers as opposed to 3 horizons as LCR?.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
    Dave

What is the secret sauce in the Horizon to make it with more “slam” than the towers? Is there anything I can do to tweak the towers to have the same slam?

When employing a subwoofer, is there still a benefit of using towers as opposed to 3 horizons as LCR?.
    We tuned the bass on the Horizon to have a bit more midbass at the sacrifice of some extension. I felt this was important for a high performance center, especially when considering movie effects etc.

The towers offer overall better imaging. For music, the towers have the advantage for the left/right. For home theater, it really comes down to placement - we have many customers using (3) Horizons and they love them but accommodating left/right horizons in a typical room can be quite challenging
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Hi everyone. I just bought a new “tv stand” to accommodate my soon to arrive Horizon Center (changed my order from the Luna Duo to the Horizon last second). Basically the center is going to sit on top of this stand and tv is now going to be wall mounted to make room for this beast. The stand is from Wayfair and obviously not solid wood. So I’m thinking I will need some sort of isolation/dampening foam for the speaker to sit on. Will need it to be 2-3” thick at most. There’s a product on amazon from Pyle that fits the dimensions quite well but before I spend any more money thought I’d reach out to all Horizon owners to see if anyone is using something they highly recommend.

Any recommendations are appreciated!