Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Default Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I think the towers would probably be fine for your room, I don't think they are as picky as Axiom's gear, I've heard that their speakers can be very finicky. I have had my Towers close to walls and open areas and never had an issue, personally, but the big ol' dogs present an entire other issue.

Doing two Horizons in that setup would be totally fine, but yeah I wouldn't want to wall mount them. I'd get some beefy shelves and just put them on those, up against the wall or close to it. Just make sure they are long enough to hold them. I would also run them full range, they have such tight impact it's awesome. Even with the subwoofer, I very much enjoy running mine full range.

Dual subs would also be the way to go for that room to even out the frequency response. The F8 isn't really necessary because it can play really high and you don't really need that, an F12 will give you 1.5 dB more output per sub, and it just goes up from there. Even an LV12R would be 2.5 dB more output than the F8 at 20 Hz, so I think that would make more sense for your budget and your setup.

Another option would be to wait for the Lunas, which would be really easy to mount right to the wall, and pair those with dual F8's crossed over and set to small. That would be really sweet indeed.
    Hi friend, I'm using same ascend gear for my front setup all RAAL with an emotiva xpa 5 gen 1 and Sierra 2 for rears. Would like to hear from you how you like the matching setup with the amp. It sounds a little too bright on the higher frequency, too forward at loud level for my taste. Loud level mean between 70-90db reference with a SPL meter with 10 feets of distance. Is it same for you? I was curious if you ever tried with other amp model. Dave suggest me trying ati 2000 series, parasound or bryston. Any idea? Thanks
    Last edited by joblain; 01-11-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joblain View Post
    Hi friend, I'm using same ascend gear for my front setup all RAAL with an emotiva xpa 5 gens and Sierra 2 for rears. Would like to hear from you how you like the matching setup with the amp. It sounds a little too bright on the higher frequency, too forward at loud level for my taste. Loud level mean between 70-90db reference with a SPL meter with 10 feets of distance. Is it same for you? I was curious if you ever tried with other amp model. Dave suggest me trying ati 2000 series, parasound or bryston. Any idea? Thanks
    I really love my setup. Using a Marantz AV7701 for surround processing, what are you using, and how are you using it? I've found that in my room I actually like using Audyssey XT room correction, it does a nice job of making the system sound natural. Your problem might be whatever processor you're using or how you've configured it. I can listen at really loud levels with no issue, currently. I also have the XPA-5 Gen 2, which had a lower gain than the Gen 1 so it doesn't sound as bright and forward, I've heard.

I do find it to be a bit bright without room correction, but I'm in a small room so that makes sense to me. I think you should try more options with your surround processor first before you buy a new amp. I would especially recommend setting your inputs to "Auto" so that room correction is fully engaged and see how you like it. If you still think it's too forward, you can try swapping the amp out, but I really think you might just need to reconfigure your processor or pick a different one if you don't like the sound.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Using an anthem avm50v with ARC on for pre-amp. GIK Acoustics PANEL all around with bass traps in corners. Sound is good in general, but I like the big bass impact like in the theater with my svspb13 ultra for sub. The spectrum analysis I did with REW gives pretty good result between 20 to 8k, all pretty flat with decay below 300ms. My bass is really really good, it impress everyone with listening sessions, but I need to crank the sound up to get that chest impact with bass but it brings sound a little to forward to ears and sometimes need to drop down volume and I lose the magic of the bass . Maybe the lower gain on gen 2 get rid of this. I'll have to try another amp to prove this. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joblain View Post
    Using an anthem avm50v with ARC on for pre-amp. GIK Acoustics PANEL all around with bass traps in corners. Sound is good in general, but I like the big bass impact like in the theater with my svspb13 ultra for sub. The spectrum analysis I did with REW gives pretty good result between 20 to 8k, all pretty flat with decay below 300ms. My bass is really really good, it impress everyone with listening sessions, but I need to crank the sound up to get that chest impact with bass but it brings sound a little to forward to ears and sometimes need to drop down volume and I lose the magic of the bass . Maybe the lower gain on gen 2 get rid of this. I'll have to try another amp to prove this. Thanks
    Gotcha, you may want to try a different amp then, for sure. I don't know how easy it is to find a Gen 2 amp, though, and the new ones are rather expensive and use switching power supplies. ATI is a great recommendation, their amps are highly regarded and affordable. Parasound and Bryston are legendary and give great performance, but they are costly.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Somebody is selling a pair of XPA-100 Gen 2 Monoblock on eBay for $800 (pair). They are in mint condition. I got a XPA-200 Gen 2, 5 months ago, brand new from Emotiva eBay Store (jadedesing). They got three units brand new, never opened from Amazon warehouse and they put them for sale at their eBay Store. I paid $275 shipped.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    Somebody is selling a pair of XPA-100 Gen 2 Monoblock on eBay for $800 (pair). They are in mint condition. I got a XPA-200 Gen 2, 5 months ago, brand new from Emotiva eBay Store (jadedesing). They got three units brand new, never opened from Amazon warehouse and they put them for sale at their eBay Store. I paid $275 shipped.
    That's a killer deal. I really want to get two more channels into my system for rear surrounds and I'm still not sure how I'm going to do it, but that is a great option. Thanks.
    -Alex

I am debating if I can support a Horizon (instead of an S2 center) and of course the most difficult aspect is its size. I've found two stands that in theory should be able to contain it and was wondering if anyone had that setup or something similar. (I don't like wall mounting TVs, just personal preference).

salamander model 248 - http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/pro...c-5125e33653e8

bdi ola - https://www.bdiusa.com/products/ola-...h-cabinet-8137

With the salamander, I think the center shelf can be lowered, giving enough space to put the Horizon in there. Worst case the center shelf can be removed and the unit just placed in there on the bottom shelf. There should be enough space to angle it up and stick it out a bit.

The bdi ola would need to remove that center shelf, putting the Horizon on the bottom. Horizon has a stated height of 11, and the ola says that the center is 11.8 high, so it would be a tight fit, and would not have much room to angle upwards.

So the problem of sorts is that the Horizon would be awfully low to the ground. Would this impact sound quality for HT or cause localization issues (center dialog would appear to come from the floor instead of the TV)? Ideally the Horizon goes on top shelf and TV is mounted, but would putting the Horizon in the center cabinet when it's pretty low be pretty bad? Anyone have experience with this type of setup? S2 center fits on pretty much any middle shelf so it wouldn't have the same problem (not to mention that you wouldn't be so restricted on TV stands).

Quote Originally Posted by yummypuppy View Post
    I am debating if I can support a Horizon (instead of an S2 center) and of course the most difficult aspect is its size. I've found two stands that in theory should be able to contain it and was wondering if anyone had that setup or something similar. (I don't like wall mounting TVs, just personal preference).

salamander model 248 - http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/pro...c-5125e33653e8

bdi ola - https://www.bdiusa.com/products/ola-...h-cabinet-8137

With the salamander, I think the center shelf can be lowered, giving enough space to put the Horizon in there. Worst case the center shelf can be removed and the unit just placed in there on the bottom shelf. There should be enough space to angle it up and stick it out a bit.

The bdi ola would need to remove that center shelf, putting the Horizon on the bottom. Horizon has a stated height of 11, and the ola says that the center is 11.8 high, so it would be a tight fit, and would not have much room to angle upwards.

So the problem of sorts is that the Horizon would be awfully low to the ground. Would this impact sound quality for HT or cause localization issues (center dialog would appear to come from the floor instead of the TV)? Ideally the Horizon goes on top shelf and TV is mounted, but would putting the Horizon in the center cabinet when it's pretty low be pretty bad? Anyone have experience with this type of setup? S2 center fits on pretty much any middle shelf so it wouldn't have the same problem (not to mention that you wouldn't be so restricted on TV stands).
    Generally speaking, slightly angling the Horizon upward in combination with decent room EQ (Audyssey etc) will greatly mitigate any of the associated problems with having the Horizon (or any speaker) low to the ground...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I had my Sierra 2 center angled up maybe 5-10 degrees. Tweeter was about 20" off the ground.
    Sound perception was ALWAYS spot on to the screen above.

I'm angling the Horizon much steeper (15-20 degrees) and initially I was having issues with the sound being localized to the speaker. First thing I ever played (an ep from the Bd of 11.22.63) my heart immediately sank as the center channel content was clearly coming from the speaker.

I don't know how much is attributable to mechanical break-in, psychoacoustic break in, or simply to the source content- but I can't recall anytime in the last 100 hours where I've been distracted like that again.

I watch a lot of older movies where the choices are usually 1 or 2 channel mono. Either way, sound is almost always locked to it's proper height above now. And if it isn't, I blame the source now.
    Last edited by Mose Harper; 06-06-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mose Harper View Post
    I had my Sierra 2 center angled up maybe 5-10 degrees. Tweeter was about 20" off the ground.
    Sound perception was ALWAYS spot on to the screen above.

I'm angling the Horizon much steeper (15-20 degrees) and initially I was having issues with the sound being localized to the speaker. First thing I ever played (an ep from the Bd of 11.22.63) my heart immediately sank as the center channel content was clearly coming from the speaker.

I don't know how much is attributable to mechanical break-in, psychoacoustic break in, or simply to the source content- but I can't recall anytime in the last 100 hours where I've been distracted like that again.

I watch a lot of older movies where the choices are usually 1 or 2 channel mono. Either way, sound is almost always locked to it's proper height above now. And if it isn't, I blame the source now.
    Due to the vertically aligned ribbon and midrange driver in the Horizon, vertical dispersion won't be quite as wide as a horizontally positioned Sierra-2, but it is actually a more accurate dispersion pattern combined with a more linear response.

The dispersion characteristics are different, this is likely what you first heard - additionally, you are also now hearing the rather remarkable accuracy of the horizon and noticing differences in how the source itself was recorded...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com