Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Default Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

@ Jonnyozero3,

Ha! You flatter me beyond comprehension. There's only one important difference between Dave and I: he's really, really good-looking!*

*I have no idea if this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrose View Post
    I'm waiting patiently for my center (Horizon?) to ship, but in the meantime I have been enjoying listening to my towers. As good as my towers are (with the standard tweeter) sounds like the center is equal to or better than the towers. I really don't have the setup to use three Horizon across the front, but someone who had the space the Horizon's seem like the way to go.
    We should get clarification on this at some point. However, from everything I've read, the technical specifications are virtually identical to the towers. Same components, etc. So, theoretically, performance with one shouldn't be better than the other.

I might be talking out my well-formed derriere, but I could understand differences in imaging/soundstage projection between the vertical Tower and the horizontal, uh, Horizon, rather than overall sound quality. Also, the driver arrangement differs between the two models, so I wouldn't be surprised if this contributes to imaging differences.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrose View Post
    Dave what equipment were you using for that video? Amp/receiver, transport, etc. Just curious.
    I'd be interested to hear this info, too. I think it would be a good reference point for customer expectations, as well as great info for those of us with insatiable curiosity.

Slightly off-topic: I really enjoyed that demo video as well, although that song has been stuck in my head for the past couple of days. I attended a wedding yesterday, and a one point I found myself thinking about the Horizon. I know, I know...I'm a bad person.

Definitely a cool demo track. Saint-Saëns' Symphony No. 3 just wouldn't have had the same effect!
    -Jacob

Looks good! How much?

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Looks good! How much?
    This is the latest pricing info I could find (as of Dec 2, 2011):

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Pricing for the STC has been determined.

Base price (black matte / natural) = $998 + $48 domestic ground shipping

Standard premium finishes (espresso, dark cherry) = $1048 + shipping

Custom finishes available but need to be quoted.

Optional RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade: $350

Due to the complexity in building this cabinet, these prices should be considered pre-order pricing. Once this initial batch is sold, pricing will be increased by a minimum of $50, possibly more depending on the finish.
    Complete post here.

I know neodymium prices went nuts last year. It must be really difficult to control costs and balance profit margins in this economy.
    -Jacob

My black matte center was the 998 + shipping. The center is right at 50.00 higher than the per speaker price of the towers. From what I have been able to determine the center is well worth the price, I know from listening to my towers that they are certainly worth the price of admission for sure.

Regards,

RTROSE

I'm liking the idea of STC's as fronts. Although I would definitely feel more comfortable owning as such with some additional support of sorts, something like 2-3 mounts, as opposed to just 1. That's an expensive purchase to be knocked off axis so easily, or even readily damaged another way..

Thinking heavily compounding a few TP-24 mounts with sand and adding some blu-tack, neither STC will be going anywhere then :P. Not to mention the acoustics will be helped by having a more solidified base underneath. I'm remembering awhile back how my 340 SE's had more of a hollow sound without any sand when I first used them, sounded odd. But, no problem anymore
    Last edited by choirbass; 02-13-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Quote Originally Posted by makutaku View Post
    Nice to hear Dave! My concern, though, is that I made the wrong choice ordering the "vertical" Sierra Towers today!
    Please tell me this "center" won't outperform my towers !
    That would be weird!

"Tower Center" or "Horizontal Tower" is a logical paradox since a tower is a vertical structure.

I'd prefer that "tower" is dropped. Besides, they will probably work great with a Sierra-1 pair as well. How about just Horizontal Sierra, or ... Sierra Horizon ?
    LOVE the name Sierra Horizon and we will -slowly- move towards this new name and making these available for sale as both singles (for center channel duty) and mains. Right now we need to focus on fulfilling all of the backorders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3 View Post
    Dave,

I hate to break it to you...but you really need to upgrade that TV

In all seriousness, that's some output! I also am curious - if one had the space for either the tower or the compact tower, would you necessarily recommend one over the other? What would the benefits be to running three compact towers across the front versus the "normal" pair of vertical towers and a "center" setup?

PS: Not the music I thought you'd be auditioning with. Hilarious
    You guys are too much. I use that old 20" as the monitor for the Rotel pre-processor. I can't change various menu settings without it Up to now our demo room has been strictly two channel but we are now gearing up for a complete 5.1 system and there is a 51" Samsung Plasma on the other side of the room waiting to be taken out of the box. Just waiting on Omnimount to send us the TV stand we ordered many weeks ago
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

The center is now available in our shopping cart for ordering... Please check the first post in this thread.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    LOVE the name Sierra Horizon and we will -slowly- move towards this new name and making these available for sale as both singles (for center channel duty) and mains.
    That's awesome! Now I can say I chose the name of a great speaker!

Now I am "forced" to call you and buy one, specially as I never had a center speaker yet ...

But be advised that I will ask for a special privilege for having come up with this most amazing name!

The Sierra Horizon would go well with the Sierra Vertex.

...or Sierra Apex
    ...or Sierra Summit

Last edited by sesquipedalian; 02-13-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Will there be discounted pricing for Sierra Horizon sold in pairs? Or is it the price of two centers?