Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Default Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Still moving forward with buying a Horizon, still worried about the height since I only have 25 inches from the bottom of the TV to play with, but here's my question I was thinking about using 2 or 3 of these under the Horizon so that I can angle it upward so does anybody think they will effect the sound in any way?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1LD3YCR5X6YMM
    Last edited by Rustolamite; 10-15-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Adding weblink

Quote Originally Posted by Rustolamite View Post
    Still moving forward with buying a Horizon, still worried about the height since I only have 25 inches from the bottom of the TV to play with, but here's my question I was thinking about using 2 or 3 of these under the Horizon so that I can angle it upward so does anybody think they will effect the sound in any way?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1LD3YCR5X6YMM
    Those will not effect the sound in any way, and they are plenty deep to hand the Horizon. Go for it.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thanks for the response, really think they will help since my speaker will be so already.

Quote Originally Posted by 14er View Post
    I have searched for months on this problem. Not much success. The only thing I found was the "triple play tv stands" that support the tv on their own. There are plenty out there but I couldn't find any where online that states the measurement between the bottom of the tv to the top of the shelf.

Something like this.

I ended up moving my living room around so I could get the full size Horizon.
    Hi 14er,

These people do custom speaker stands:
    http://www.gwizpro.com/stands/
    I have not yet ordered from them, but will probably be ordering a custom center channel stand in a few months.

Do not know anything about them, good or bad.

I will be ordering one of these this weekend after i get the measurements that i need.

Quote Originally Posted by theriddler07sms View Post
    I will be ordering one of these this weekend after i get the measurements that i need.
    I thought you had a horizon already, no?

Edit: oh, are you talking about the custom stand?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    I thought you had a horizon already, no?

Edit: oh, are you talking about the custom stand?
    Sorry, I do have an NRT horizon. I meant I will be buying the stand. I'm actually selling the horizon to an AVS Forums member who was looking for a matte black one. I am busy repainting and stuff on my home theater now and wont be able to use the horizon for a couple months.

I will be ordering a RAAL horizon in the correct color once I am nearing the end of the repainting and re carpeting process

Hi all,

I have placed an order for a pair of towers (not shipped yet) to replace my axiom m80 mains and after doing some messing around today I am thinking we would be much happier with a pair of the horizons instead. My kitchen cabinets come up against the living room area and the right tower ends up being within a foot or two of it and I think its causing a huge peak in the mid bass area around 70-80hrtz range and probably higher but that was as high as I got measured. On the other side I have a corner that the other side needs to be just as close too. If I toe the speakers in at all it obviously just gets worse.

We were doing some measuring tonight and think that two horizons sitting horizontally on two really beefy shelfs one on each side of the tv would work much better for sound and free up our floor space along with keeping our two labradors away from them lol.

Is this a doable solution? Would it be possible to use a foam isolation piece like shown above to keep the walls from vibrating like crazy or are these to much speaker to mount to a wall? I will be using a sub although most likely a pair of F8s instead of that svs sb13-u in the picture. I just got that this week to replace a blown axiom sub that was much smaller and this thing is over kill and really uneven between our two couches at least where it currently sits. Sorry i'm getting off track but the point is I won't be running the horizons full range if that matters for the question. I know the shelf and brackets will have to be heavy duty and we will span the weight over multiple studs but thats not helping anything if the entire wall is resonating If I have to set them on stands im not sure it will look right and we might just stick with towers and eq around it the best we can.

Here is a picture of the wall in question, the wall is 13' from the left corner to the start of the kitchen cabinet for reference and the couch we sit on to watch movies or listen to music is 12' back from the tv basically where I took this picture from. Excuse the mess and all the speakers I have been experimenting a lot the last few days to try and figure out what we would be happy with.

Thanks everyone!

livingroom.JPG
    Last edited by rneill; 01-10-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rneill View Post
    Hi all,

I have placed an order for a pair of towers (not shipped yet) to replace my axiom m80 mains and after doing some messing around today I am thinking we would be much happier with a pair of the horizons instead. My kitchen cabinets come up against the living room area and the right tower ends up being within a foot or two of it and I think its causing a huge peak in the mid bass area around 70-80hrtz range and probably higher but that was as high as I got measured. On the other side I have a corner that the other side needs to be just as close too. If I toe the speakers in at all it obviously just gets worse.

We were doing some measuring tonight and think that two horizons sitting horizontally on two really beefy shelfs one on each side of the tv would work much better for sound and free up our floor space along with keeping our two labradors away from them lol.

Is this a doable solution? Would it be possible to use a foam isolation piece like shown above to keep the walls from vibrating like crazy or are these to much speaker to mount to a wall? I will be using a sub although most likely a pair of F8s instead of that svs sb13-u in the picture. I just got that this week to replace a blown axiom sub that was much smaller and this thing is over kill and really uneven between our two couches at least where it currently sits. Sorry i'm getting off track but the point is I won't be running the horizons full range if that matters for the question. I know the shelf and brackets will have to be heavy duty and we will span the weight over multiple studs but thats not helping anything if the entire wall is resonating If I have to set them on stands im not sure it will look right and we might just stick with towers and eq around it the best we can.

Here is a picture of the wall in question, the wall is 13' from the left corner to the start of the kitchen cabinet for reference and the couch we sit on to watch movies or listen to music is 12' back from the tv basically where I took this picture from. Excuse the mess and all the speakers I have been experimenting a lot the last few days to try and figure out what we would be happy with.
    I think the towers would probably be fine for your room, I don't think they are as picky as Axiom's gear, I've heard that their speakers can be very finicky. I have had my Towers close to walls and open areas and never had an issue, personally, but the big ol' dogs present an entire other issue.

Doing two Horizons in that setup would be totally fine, but yeah I wouldn't want to wall mount them. I'd get some beefy shelves and just put them on those, up against the wall or close to it. Just make sure they are long enough to hold them. I would also run them full range, they have such tight impact it's awesome. Even with the subwoofer, I very much enjoy running mine full range.

Dual subs would also be the way to go for that room to even out the frequency response. The F8 isn't really necessary because it can play really high and you don't really need that, an F12 will give you 1.5 dB more output per sub, and it just goes up from there. Even an LV12R would be 2.5 dB more output than the F8 at 20 Hz, so I think that would make more sense for your budget and your setup.

Another option would be to wait for the Lunas, which would be really easy to mount right to the wall, and pair those with dual F8's crossed over and set to small. That would be really sweet indeed.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thanks for the input!

Do you think I would be able to position the raal towers in each corner toed in slightly maybe 20 degrees or so so it looks right without them being to boomy. I can give them about a foot of space between the back of the speaker and the corner and still keep them out of the way. Since these are 7" less deep then the axioms that helps give them more room.

And yes they are very picky and the highs hurt my ears. I have actually had them in the corners toed OUT away from us to help tame them.

I am very much looking forward to these speakers. I considered the lunas but I know i will always be wondering how the horizions or towers would of sounded so I would rather just avoid going down that rabbit hole A custom small front ported box with the high and mid from the towers as I read he has made for someone else paired with the dual f8s would be very tempting but i'm not sure what the premium is on something like that plus as the Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part...
    Last edited by rneill; 01-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.