Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
    At the end of Dave's video, you can see the speakers. He oriented them horizontally.
    thanks,
    i actually missed the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3 View Post
    Dave,

I hate to break it to you...but you really need to upgrade that TV
    Don't tell anyone, but that's the "secret room" where Dave can get some well-deserved downtime. I hear he enjoys watching the VHS cuts of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "Back to the Future" on that old CRT.

PS: Not the music I thought you'd be auditioning with. Hilarious
    You and I both, buddy. It seems that Dave has an "inner gangsta."

Playfulness aside, I'm pretty excited to read the latest on the STC (or Sierra Horizon, whatever it ends up as). I was curious how much the smaller enclosure would "handicap" the overall synergy compared to the full-size towers. Apparently it's not an issue.

When I first read about the STC (or monster center as it was known then), I had the idea about flipping the cabinets 90 degrees and using them as mains. If the new center provides nearly identical performance as the towers, that might be an awesome way to upgrade from Sierra-1 for those with space constraints.

Maybe I'm off-base, but my only real concern with the vertical orientation was dispersion characteristics since it was originally designed to be used horizontally. I did find it curious that Dave mounted the speakers in their intended horizontal position. Before the video, I expected to see them configured vertically.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea to consider the STC as more than just a center.

As always, a big thanks to Dave for keeping us in the loop and tempting us with new things to spend our money on.
    -Jacob

Default Horizon compared to Tower

Differences I can think of:

front slotted ports rather than round rear port.

driver placements

cabinet shape, and orientation

Total cabinet volume? (don't know)

Midrange compartment volume? (don't know, probably not due to T/S parameters)

Crossover (don't know, again, probably not)

By the looks of things, doesn't seem like there would be more than a smidge of a difference between the sound/performance between them.

If I were to guess, Dave will have an answer before long. What I would like to know is exactly how much of a difference is there?

Jay

Default Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

pulled out the measuring tape to see if i have room for the Horizon even in vertical orientation (assuming that vertical is as good as horizontal).
    screen is just shy of 9' wide, room is 11'2", Horizon is 11" height (or width in this theoretical vertical orientation). hmmm, that's pretty tight - about 1" on each side!

the screen is only up during movies so most of the time it wouldn't be a problem.

does anyone remember where Dave's post of the measurements (off-axis performance etc) is? it was accompanied by a picture of the test setup showing how ridiculously far off-axis the mic was for part of the test.
    maybe i just haven't gone back far enough in the Tower thread...?

Quote Originally Posted by dittomusik View Post
    does anyone remember where Dave's post of the measurements (off-axis performance etc) is? it was accompanied by a picture of the test setup showing how ridiculously far off-axis the mic was for part of the test.
    maybe i just haven't gone back far enough in the Tower thread...?
    Ask, and ye shall receive.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...8431#post38431
    -Jacob

cheers Jacob.
    no vertical off-axis response in those graphs, perhaps will have to wait for Mr. Dave to give his thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Here is a brief video I took last night showing SPL peaks.
    Hey Dave, what album and song is that?
    Jon O.

I'm waiting patiently for my center (Horizon?) to ship, but in the meantime I have been enjoying listening to my towers. As good as my towers are (with the standard tweeter) sounds like the center is equal to or better than the towers. I really don't have the setup to use three Horizon across the front, but someone who had the space the Horizon's seem like the way to go.

Very impressive video. I have been following the development of the towers and center but have not or did not see a similar video for the towers. Would be nice to see that as a comparison, and would give Dave an excuse for some more "private time" in his secret/special room.

I'm more excited than ever to get my center so I can experience it for myself (instead of Dave having all the fun).

Dave what equipment were you using for that video? Amp/receiver, transport, etc. Just curious.

Regards,

RTROSE

Hey Dave, what album and song is that?
    I'm not Dave, but I can answer your question.

Artist: The Black Eyed Peas
    Album: THE E.N.D. (Energy Never Dies)
    Track: Boom Boom Pow

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192IV0O

Black Eyed Peas VEVO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m48GqaOz90
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    I'm not Dave, but I can answer your question.

Artist: The Black Eyed Peas
    Album: THE E.N.D. (Energy Never Dies)
    Track: Boom Boom Pow

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192IV0O

Black Eyed Peas VEVO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m48GqaOz90
    Nice try, Dave's hidden forum account.

Just kidding, Thanks!
    Jon O.