Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Default Re: The STC -- this is NO "center" channel speaker!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Not only are these the absolute perfect match to the Sierra Towers, but their performance as mains is causing me to re-think everything. Although this is EASILY the absolute best center I have ever heard, I must re-consider our original intention to market this speaker as a “center” Their performance as left/right mains is, quite frankly, astonishing and I can see many people using these as fronts.
    Intriguing. Pretty hefty stand mounts, particularly if used in a horizontal configuration. What sort of stand would you use? Perhaps two stands on each side to support the speakers?

You're always giving us something new to think about.

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    I currently have the same speakers except for the sub (an SVS PC-13 Ultra), waiting on the matching center. The NrT blends seamlessly in my speaker complement. I listen to a lot of multichannel music, the center would definitely draw attntion to itself if it didn't blend well.

Jay
    This is all good to hear. Thanks guys. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Here is a brief video I took last night showing SPL peaks.

This is using two of the "centers" at 10 feet back coming off a 150 watt amplifier with headroom to spare.

As you can see, we are hitting 110dB peaks with 2-channel music, only 2 speakers, and there is no compression or distortion and bass is extending down to the very low 30's.

No subwoofer connected and the SPL meter used is a professional model and fully calibrated.

http://youtu.be/vY2XV8oqSqE
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,
    You are making it difficult for me not to order the STC RAAL after reading your recent posts. Just bought a new place so I need to resist the urge to upgrade

Might you be able to shed light on any differences in sound between the STC and the Towers for 2ch listening?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Here is a brief video I took last night showing SPL peaks.

This is using two of the "centers" at 10 feet back coming off a 150 watt amplifier with headroom to spare.

As you can see, we are hitting 110dB peaks with 2-channel music, only 2 speakers, and there is no compression or distortion and bass is extending down to the very low 30's.

No subwoofer connected and the SPL meter used is a professional model and fully calibrated.

http://youtu.be/vY2XV8oqSqE
    Dave,

I hate to break it to you...but you really need to upgrade that TV

In all seriousness, that's some output! I also am curious - if one had the space for either the tower or the compact tower, would you necessarily recommend one over the other? What would the benefits be to running three compact towers across the front versus the "normal" pair of vertical towers and a "center" setup?

PS: Not the music I thought you'd be auditioning with. Hilarious
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3 View Post
    Dave,

I hate to break it to you...but you really need to upgrade that TV
    LOL. I read that line before I watched the youtube clip. After watching the clip, I see exactly what you mean.

Dave, damnit, stop taunting me with reports of how good the STC sounds. But seriously, I'm glad to hear that you are so happy with it. I love my Sierra Towers, but the STC is the one piece I've been waiting for to complete my home theater upgrade.

STC as mains - visually reminiscent of the old **** 901s, though it seems that's where the similarities end.

and adding in another variable, i wonder how well it would work to orient the STCs vertically instead of horizontally.
    now what page did i see those off-axis measurements on....

Quote Originally Posted by dittomusik View Post
    STC as mains - visually reminiscent of the old **** 901s, though it seems that's where the similarities end.

and adding in another variable, i wonder how well it would work to orient the STCs vertically instead of horizontally.
    Sounds like a good time to post a page for the "Sierra Horizon" .

PS, that is after mine has shipped LOL!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by dittomusik View Post

Thats a good point.
    Using the STC as main vertically will put the tweeter and midrange side by side. Really cant imaging how it sound.
    Or did Dave actually did not meant to orient the STC vertically and leave it as horizontally?

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Thats a good point.
    Using the STC as main vertically will put the tweeter and midrange side by side. Really cant imaging how it sound.
    Or did Dave actually did not meant to orient the STC vertically and leave it as horizontally?
    At the end of Dave's video, you can see the speakers. He oriented them horizontally.