Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Default Also waiting on my Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

RTROSE, like you, I am enjoying my Tower Speakers (with RAAL) and 170's for side surrounds. I have them in Black Matte. I also am enjoying a pair of F15HP subs. As of now, I have only used the RS meter to set the volume levels, but my wife and I are really enjoying what we are hearing so far.

I am also patiently waiting to hear from Ascend that my Center speaker will be shipping soon. Once I get the Center speaker I'll run Audessey in my Onkyo 707 and am sure we will be blown away.

I see that you also have a pair of 170's that you use as REAR surrounds. Have you done a comparison WITH those rear speakers and WITHOUT them? I'd be very interested in your opinion (and anyone else who would care to comment). Also, my Onkyo can output surround WIDE signals. Does your AVR have that capabilty? If so, have you tried speakers there?

During my "space time", when the wife is not home, I enjoy live concerts by artists like the Rolling Stones, Eagles, the Scorpions, and Steely Dan. Do you think the REAR speakers would enhance my enjoyment of this music?

I appreciate your observations.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeinVegas; 02-28-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention my subs in my first post.

Default Re: Also waiting on my Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinVegas View Post
    I see that you also have a pair of 170's that you use as REAR surrounds. Have you done a comparison WITH those rear speakers and WITHOUT them? I'd be very interested in your opinion (and anyone else who would care to comment). Also, my Onkyo can output surround WIDE signals. Does your AVR have that capabilty? If so, have you tried speakers there?

During my "space time", when the wife is not home, I enjoy live concerts by artists like the Rolling Stones, Eagles, the Scorpions, and Steely Dan. Do you think the REAR speakers would enhance my enjoyment of this music?
    Hi Mike,

I used to run a 5.1 setup for a long time and was perfectly happy with it. About a year ago, I moved up to a 7.1 configuration thanks to an extra pair of speakers. I'll never go back to 5.1.

I tried out all the surround modes on my receiver and I found Dolby Pro Logic IIx to be the most natural for my tastes. Using two surround back channels, I notice more depth and realism for movies and games. It gets me closer to actually "being there" and immersing myself in the action.

Musical playback is slightly different and it depends on the source. For two-channel playback (the majority of my music collection), I never up-mix to multichannel surround. However, most of the native surround albums I own do sound more spacious and realistic when converted from 5.1 to 7.1, especially the live concerts.

I've been toying with the idea of front and/or rear "presence," but that will have to wait until I upgrade my receiver.
    -Jacob

Default Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

All,

Just got my shipping notice from Ascend! Whoo Hoo! Looks like it is going to arrive on or about March 5th.

Very excited to say the least!

Just like Christmas all over again!

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks Ascend, Dave, Dina, et al.

Is there an acoustical advantage to the slotted ports or is it mainly aesthetic? I'm trying to figure out if the ports are tuned or something, like in a Helmholtz resonator.

It can probably be considered aesthetic. The advantage, in this case, is being able to utilize the enclosure as part of the walls for the porting/slot, and not having to accommodate the width of a traditional port.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by logicology View Post
    Is there an acoustical advantage to the slotted ports or is it mainly aesthetic? I'm trying to figure out if the ports are tuned or something, like in a Helmholtz resonator.
    The slot ports are, in fact, Helmholtz resonators. The width, height and length of the actual slot are precisely calculated to a specific tuning frequency. The total area of both slots is equivalent to the total area of the Sierra Tower port tube so that the Fb is the same for both speakers.

This was one of the most challenging aspects of the cabinet design. The slot is not just an opening into the cabinet, if you look inside; it is an actual 1/2" high rectangular vent that extends back into the cabinet by approximately 10 inches. It also must have roundovers on all internal edges so as to cut back on turbulence which would result in a loss of energy and port noise.

There is no performance advantage to a slot port over a typical port tube. Port tubes have the advantage of being MUCH less expensive and are easier to precisely tune. There is a slight advantage of having front ports as opposed to rear ports with regard to phase integration between the output of the port and the woofer(s) at frequencies above Fb. The drawback to front ports is that they will take less advantage of boundary reinforcement at low frequencies and port noise will be more audible.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thumbs up Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

So far, so good with my new STC/Sierra Horizon, though I've only had less than 2 full evenings with them. Compared to my old 340SE center, I can definitely hear the difference: very crisp, more detailed, and clearer. The efficiency improvement is plainly obvious from the volume knob. It is a very good match with my Sierra Tower L/R mains. The difference between my L/R and center has been bugging me for the past several months, but I knew this new center was in the works.

Good audio sounds fabulous with it; no doubt about that. With not so good audio, such as the DD 384kbps of many ATSC shows, you can clearly hear how it has been compressed -- it doesn't sound bad, but it is faithfully reproducing a less than ideal source.

This is the speaker I've been waiting for. The monster center. Ahh, time to listen to it some more.

Thanks Dave, Dina, & crew!

i've realized it might be fun to check out some mono recordings on a single Horizon.

my forthcoming RAAL-equipped Horizon should provide some revealing listening. i'm not even sure how many mono recordings i have - will have to look through everything and make a playlist.
    there is at least:
    - Dave Brubeck (vinyl)
    - Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson Trio (CD)

and it is very tempting to put in a pre-order for the upcoming MoFi Miles Davis Milestones (mono SACD) and see what magic can happen!

I have been trying to search for a tv/av stand/cabinet that would accommodate the sierra horizon, but couldn't find anything even close.

Any ideas other than hanging the tv on the wall and then just placing the speaker on any tv/av stand?

Is the speaker sturdy enough to have a plasma tv which weighs 98 lbs sit directly on top of it without harm?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vespid View Post
    I have been trying to search for a tv/av stand/cabinet that would accommodate the sierra horizon, but couldn't find anything even close.

Any ideas other than hanging the tv on the wall and then just placing the speaker on any tv/av stand?

Is the speaker sturdy enough to have a plasma tv which weighs 98 lbs sit directly on top of it without harm?

Thanks!
    Here is the link to the TV stand we are using in our demo room. http://www.omnimount.com/products/ho...s/modena_55fp/

That is what most of our customers are doing...

Yes -- absolutely no problem
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com