Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 40414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Default Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    You definitely need to have them pointed at your ears! The window is fairly narrow, but extremely wide. Of course the window gets bigger with distance from the speaker.
    Yeah and according to Audyssey, I am about 13.8 ft away from the center so I hope that widens the dispersion enough. I essentially have 2 rows of seating where the first row is a couch and the second row is a console bar with barstool seats so I have the center down lower with the tweeter pointed up and through where your ears would be in the first and second rows. Probably a lot of folks that have it aimed that way.

So I read some of Dave's comments at the beginning of this thread about using a pair of these for main speakers and that they're pretty amazing for that too. Someone asked how they compare to the towers as l/r speakers and I read a few more pages but didn't really see a clear answer. I got the vibe that they're really very close in performance tho. I might have gone that route instead of towers had I thought about it. I can afford to sacrifice a little bit of bass extension to save a few bucks since I'm using a pair of subs. Not that I regret my purchase AT ALL. I love the towers.

Have many been sold in pairs or threes for use as main speakers? If so, are the RAAL tweeters reoriented for l/r so you can stand them vertically? Do they use the same 70 20xram tweets as the towers? Sorry for all the questions, lol. I'm planning to get one of these for center duty either way. I'm just curious, but not enough to dig through 45 pages...

I'm guessing they probably don't dig as deep as the towers do, but I'll bet they come close. I could totally see 3 of them working as lcr speakers across the front.

*Edit: I just realized they cost the same as the towers do... ha ha. Oops. Well, I'm still happy with my towers!
    Last edited by Pogre; 07-30-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Yes, same RAAL as the Tower (looking at both products on their site). Looks like the tweeter can be reoriented so they can be stood vertically (lower right picture on the Horizon page). Close on the specs (towers are about 3 hz lower).

Can't answer the sales question though. I do recall someone posting about using these as LR, but believe they kept them Horizontal.

Yes the RAAL tweeters are rotated 90 degrees if you orient the Sierra Horizons vertically. It’s best to give Ascend a call when buying to let them know how you’re going to stand them vertically, so they can rotate the tweeters.

I’m planning on buying a pair of NrT Sierra Horizons in Black Matte oriented vertically later this year. Looking forward to their mid range performance, especially when watching TV Chromecast and my PC. And since I don’t use subwoofers with the Sierra-2s, the added bass extension of the Sierra Horizons will be welcome. Just going to buy them one speaker at a time too, that’s the affordable way to get Sierra Towers performance.
    Last edited by choirbass; 04-05-2021 at 11:35 PM.

Talked to Dina and put my order in yesterday! Looks like I'll be seeing it the end of March, which is right around my birthday. I've been using a Sierra 2 as my temporary center for now and it's working very nicely. Cant wait to see how the Horizon performs. I won't have to be afraid to turn it up a little bit anymore tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Talked to Dina and put my order in yesterday! Looks like I'll be seeing it the end of March, which is right around my birthday. I've been using a Sierra 2 as my temporary center for now and it's working very nicely. Cant wait to see how the Horizon performs. I won't have to be afraid to turn it up a little bit anymore tho!
    Thanks for getting your order in!!! You will love the Horizon
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

So... if a guy were to find a really good deal on a Horizon with the NrT what would he be looking at to upgrade to the RAAL..?

So... if a guy were to find a really good deal on a Horizon with the NrT what would he be looking at to upgrade to the RAAL..?

Interested as well

It requires woodworking skills to do the upgrade yourself. Dave's recommendation would be to send it in for them to do it.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Interested as well
    It's actually a very difficult job. It is more complex than simply swapping tweeters as it also requires the crossover to be changed. This will require some internal cabinet modifications to the tweeter cutout (woodworking), soldering and desoldering. I don't recommend even attempting this unless you have good woodworking skills, a router, and decent soldering skills.

Honestly, it is best to let us handle this.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com