Thread: Denon receiver "full range"

Default Denon receiver "full range"

Alright, I got my 340/170s system all set up and it's sounding great. I am still a little foggy on the Denon setup menus as I haven't had it for long. After I ran the Audyssey auto calibration, it set the speakers at full range, large speakers. I am also running an SVS sub (until I can afford a Rhythmik).

In another menu, I set the LFE cut off at 80Hz. I'm not sure if that carries over since the mains/surrounds are set to "large" and "full range".

There is definitely bass coming through the sub. I'm just not sure if other settings would serve me better, and if so, if changing those settings would negate the Audyssey settings.

My receiver is a new Denon 1912 model.

Default Re: Denon receiver "full range"

I would set them all to small and cross over at 80hz (or perhaps 60 for the 340's).

This guide may be helpful:
    http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

This may apply to the LFE setting you mentioned (quoted from the guide linked above):

Q. What's the deal with the "LFE" setting in the Advanced Crossover menu? For example, my speakers were set to a 120Hz crossover and the LFE crossover is 80Hz, does that mean I am going to miss some content between 80 and 120Hz??

A. The first thing to understand is that the LFE setting in the crossover menu is NOT a crossover!! For some reason, receiver manufacturers stuck this option in the crossover menu, and it is a huge source of confusion for many users.

A "crossover", by definition, involves two speakers -- the frequencies above a certain "crossover" point are given to the satellite speakers, the frequencies below the crossover are sent to the dedicated subwoofer. The "LFE" setting, however, is not a crossover, it is simply a low-pass filter (LPF) on the LFE channel of a surround mix. All it does is put an upper-limit on the LFE channel, and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the crossovers and "bass management" taking place in the receiver.

It is important to understand that the “LFE” is not the same thing as the “bass” channel. Many people are concerned that they will “lose” bass if there is a mismatch between the LFE setting and the crossovers. However, again, this LFE setting has absolutely nothing to do with the redirected bass from the other speakers. The LFE channel is a totally separate channel and contains “supplementary” bass effects.

The LFE setting should be turned to 120Hz and left there, regardless of any of your other speaker settings. This is the correct setting and is recommmended specifically in the Audyssey setup guide. So set it to 120Hz and forget it!!

Awesome, thank you for the links and info! My head is spinning with all the crossovers and speaker size and channels and on and on. I'm going to post on that thread over at AVS and see what the Denon experts suggest.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.